• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I've been noticing a few GA high grade books coming in on the census lately, here and there,hm this last week or two, toppling some previous highest graded and coming in second or 3rd. I have to assume it is books from this collection. 

Did Jon have any LooneyTunes, Disney,  Teen or Romance?

4 hours ago, adamstrange said:

The collection is all being sold in the May auction -- I asked to confirm that.  Jon's collection is practically perfect for being put into one sale as there is such a variety of books from different eras in varied condition as well as a wonderful selection of original art.  I'm sure there will be bulk lots for less expensive items. 

Any idea if Metro is going to try and run this special auction over and above their regularly scheduled May/June Event Auction that they have every year.  ???

If they are, that's going to be a ton of books for them to try and process, and definitely not a good sign for any other consignors trying to put books through the regular Event Auction.  Especially since the pockets of collectors are only so deep and cannot be spread too thin before there's a big hole in there.  hm  lol

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, sagii said:

Did Jon have any LooneyTunes, Disney,  Teen or Romance?

None that I recall seeing.  All of his Atomic Age books were sold years ago.

46 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

None that I recall seeing.  All of his Atomic Age books were sold years ago.

Thanks Adam. You're the go to guy with this auction. I may PM About the possible inclusion of a specific book or two , gotta try and keep those punishment bids at bay :flipbait:

Edited by sagii

48 minutes ago, HRCostigan said:

This darn basement remodel is sucking my funds at the wrong time.  My only hope is finding an Action 1 in a wall cavity. :D

Don't laugh it has been done before still hope out there !

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea when this "must keep" catalogue will be printed and ready to ship out? 

Late May?

Well, I certainly hope it'll be done way before then since the auction will be halfway over by the end of May.  :taptaptap:

12 hours ago, comicjack said:

nyc%20pic%201_zpsjhcqxq0s.jpg

One might assume that, for example, this book will show up in the auction?

On ‎23‎.‎12‎.‎2013 at 10:28 PM, jbcomicbox said:

There was the story inside of #8 which matches the scene on the cover of Suspense 3.......No contest, but still a neat cover....jb

143655.jpg.7bb38b4cf330975df73ec1cac8c37413.jpg

16 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Vinny told me all one auction

Interesting.  CLink spread out the Jamie Graham books over I don't know how many auctions.  Heritage may still be selling off the Mel Dybdahl books.  

I've bought multiple books out of both collections, probably at least 20-25 from each.  Not sure I would have done that if they had all appeared in a single auction.

Hope this works out for Berk, but selling such a large collection in a single auction seems like a recipe for at least some of the books going lower than they otherwise would.

I guess we'll see. 

15 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I was fortunate enough to have a quick tour of the "back offices" at Metro last night, and was shown a bunch of long boxes containing Jon's comics that will be sold at the May auction, but haven't even been processed yet. Presumably the less expensive books.  It was my understanding that these were not going to be slabbed, and that the Metro crew would be (very) busy grading these books in advance of the auction. I can't confirm there were 18,000 books, but probably a few thousand at least...

I've been back there, too, although not the other night.  In looking around, I can't help but think that a fire in that relatively small space would be a real catastrophe for the hobby. :whatthe: