• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

The collection is all being sold in the May auction -- I asked to confirm that.  Jon's collection is practically perfect for being put into one sale as there is such a variety of books from different eras in varied condition as well as a wonderful selection of original art.  I'm sure there will be bulk lots for less expensive items. 

For example, I asked Jon if remembered how many Church copies would be in the sale and he thought it would be about 120.  That's fewer than what he used to have as many have been sold over the years to fund art purchases and further family endeavors.

54 minutes ago, Electron said:

Do you know if his entire collection will be sold in their next auction,or will it be broken into several auctions?

Vinny told me all one auction

28 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:
1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Jon did admit to keeping a book or two and one of them is his duplicate copy of Mystery Men 3, the Larson.

It's fitting that he should keep a Larson.....that one book could easily open the floodgates to ALL the memories of 5 decades of collecting. GOD BLESS...

+1

Yes, indeed! 

Especially since Jon has long stated that his favorite book of all time is Mystery Men 3, and in addition, as we all know, a strong fanatic and advocate of the Larson books.  Perfect and fitting keepsake for Jon.  (thumbsu

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Yes, indeed! 

Especially since Jon has long stated that his favorite book of all time is Mystery Men 3, and in addition, as we all know, a strong fanatic and advocate of the Larson books.  Perfect and fitting keepsake for Jon.  (thumbsu

I know he thinks he's ready..... but he really should have a close friend nearby to give him a bro hug after the smoke clears from these auctions.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

34 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
36 minutes ago, Electron said:
42 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I don't know with certainty, but given it's size, I would think it would have to be spread across multiple auctions. 

That's what I was thinking(hoping) as well. Just wondered if anyone who attended knew for sure.

CC averages around 1.5-2K books per auction. No way they'll have 18K books in one auction. It would be a logistical nightmare.

I am not so sure about this or even if this 18K number is accurate anymore.

It should also be pointed out that many of his books are apparently in bound volumes which can add up pretty fast.  As noted, he has also been collecting Spidey books right up to the past month or so.  So, I believe these kinds of MA books will be bulked up and sold in whichever manner is feasible, as opposed to being individually slabbed and auctioned off.  (shrug)

I guess we'll find out pretty soon.  :taptaptap:

He had only a small number of bound volumes.

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

CC averages around 1.5-2K books per auction. No way they'll have 18K books in one auction.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

They obviously know their business a lot better than I do, but if it were me, I would spread the big books across at least a couple of auctions to let the underbidders gather themselves for the next round and the winners have a chance to replenish their war chests.  I realize, though, there's a school of thought that grouping the best books together in a single auction ups the excitement level and yields better results. 

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

The collection is all being sold in the May auction -- I asked to confirm that.  Jon's collection is practically perfect for being put into one sale as there is such a variety of books from different eras in varied condition as well as a wonderful selection of original art.  I'm sure there will be bulk lots for less expensive items. 

For example, I asked Jon if remembered how many Church copies would be in the sale and he thought it would be about 120.  That's fewer than what he used to have as many have been sold over the years to fund art purchases and further family endeavors.

54 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I am not so sure about this or even if this 18K number is accurate anymore.

It should also be pointed out that many of his books are apparently in bound volumes which can add up pretty fast.  As noted, he has also been collecting Spidey books right up to the past month or so.  So, I believe these kinds of MA books will be bulked up and sold in whichever manner is feasible, as opposed to being individually slabbed and auctioned off.  (shrug)

I guess we'll find out pretty soon.  :taptaptap:

I was fortunate enough to have a quick tour of the "back offices" at Metro last night, and was shown a bunch of long boxes containing Jon's comics that will be sold at the May auction, but haven't even been processed yet. Presumably the less expensive books.  It was my understanding that these were not going to be slabbed, and that the Metro crew would be (very) busy grading these books in advance of the auction. I can't confirm there were 18,000 books, but probably a few thousand at least...

This man is like a history teacher of the comic book with a great knowledge and love of the hobby.I'm sure those boxes will have tons of books unseen in years and overlooked values because they are not on the radar !

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Now that's one catalog I plan to keep !

Jon will be contributing artistic and historical context for some of the items.  He said he is already hard at work on it.

45 minutes ago, adamstrange said:
3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Now that's one catalog I plan to keep !

Jon will be contributing artistic and historical context for some of the items.  He said he is already hard at work on it.

Any idea when this "must keep" catalogue will be printed and ready to ship out? 

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Any idea if all of the Church Fox books have been graded yet, or is it possible that Jon may have sold off some of the later less expensive issues? 

Just asking since the CGC Census Population Report is still absent some of the expected high grades which these Church books should be receiving, as based upon the listed grades from Chuck's original Mile High catalogue.  ???

The books are all being sold at auction so I'm sure it's just a matter of CGC not yet getting to the grades on those books.