• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Mystery Boxes........ if the seller delivers the merchandise and the buyer has no complaint then there should be no issue with the rest of us. We're entrusted with self policing, not self legislation. Some of the boardies are more Alpha than others and are probably more inclined toward policy implementation than the rest...... but that isn't really what's encouraged here. Personally I have no interest in a Mystery Box ...... there's already enough mystery for me in a specific listing. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Are you talking about my books? :baiting:

Of course he does! :baiting:

My grading has improved. I swear it has! :cry:

The problem with "mystery boxes" is when one seller does them and makes a lot of money others sellers think they can do it.

So now instead of one seller doing it we have 10. Now what are the odds that those 10 sellers are going to be honest, upfront, offer a fair deal, pack them well, and grade them well.

I think we all know the answer to the above question. I got no issues with the one seller who does them here. I have bought and sold to him before with no issues.

The bigger picture is what I am concerned with. Either create a set of rules for mystery boxes that are pretty iron clad or just don't have them. It cheapens this board to have them at all and I still don't think they belong here in any form.

Go peddle that stuff on ebay its where it belongs.

Now what are the odds that those 10 sellers are going to be honest, upfront, offer a fair deal, pack them well, and grade them well.

Wouldn't all of these be applicable to any sales thread?

You mean when you actually see the books? Grade the books and describe defects with scans?

Id say the odds go up significantly.

Edited by Fastballspecial

I don't see a problem with mystery boxes as long as they are in the proper sales forum. I really feel they belong in the mixed aged and miscellaneous because of the high volume of product being moved and usually it's contents are very random.

I am not personally interested in any kind of mystery when it comes to buying and selling, but I wouldn't want to see someone else denied the opportunity to get a cool book and a box full of junk. Party on :headbang:

I see both sides of this argument. I have purchased three mystery boxes since joining the boards. One, I got screwed for sure, the second might have had enough value to cover the cost if using a very very generous price guide and the third I scored big time. Obviously the third one was from Comicalgems and the other two are from boardies either no longer on the boards or on the Probation List for later separate offenses.

I think it goes back to trusting the seller. I will never buy a mystery box from someone new or I have never dealt with before. On the flip side, I would have no hesitation buying boxes from long standing boardies I bought from before, because they have proven to be good sellers in the past and I know they wouldnt jeopardize their good reputations for a quick one time score.

Edited by CAHokie

Now what are the odds that those 10 sellers are going to be honest, upfront, offer a fair deal, pack them well, and grade them well.

You mean when you actually see the books? Grade the books and describe defects with scans?

But you aren't required to give both grades and pictures, are you?

I see both sides of this argument. I have purchased three mystery boxes since joining the boards. One, I got screwed for sure, the second might have had enough value to cover the cost if using a very very generous price guide and the third I scored big time. Obviously the third one was from Comicalgems and the other two are from boardies either no longer on the boards or on the Probation List for later separate offenses.

I think it goes back to trusting the seller. I will never buy a mystery box from someone new or I have never dealt with before. On the flip side, I would have no hesitation buying boxes from long standing boardies I bought from before, because they have proven to be good sellers in the past and I know they wouldnt jeopardize their good reputations for a quick one time score.

I buy them from shadroch also. He sends great stuff.

A question:

Hypothetically, I'm selling New 52 Aquaman 1-30, the #1 is a second print, average grade is 9.6-9.8. The selling rules say you need a grade and scan for books. Since none of these are high value books, is it a no no to say an average grade for the lot and scans available upon request?

Or do I have to scan and grade individual

Thanks

The bolded part is fine. It's done all the time here. Maybe include a group shot.

Good idea, thank you (thumbs u

A question:

Hypothetically, I'm selling New 52 Aquaman 1-30, the #1 is a second print, average grade is 9.6-9.8. The selling rules say you need a grade and scan for books. Since none of these are high value books, is it a no no to say an average grade for the lot and scans available upon request?

Thanks

The bolded part is fine. It's done all the time here. Maybe include a group shot.

I think you're reading the rules wrong. Grade or pic/scan are required, not both

A question:

Thanks

I think you're reading the rules wrong. Grade or pic/scan are required, not both

(thumbs u

Aside from mystery boxes (which I still think are fun/interesting although I see fastballspecial's point), I am considering the idea of making "starter packs" for collectors dedicated to single characters where I’d put the slant on quality of the stories rather than value. hm

I don't see a problem with mystery boxes as long as they are in the proper sales forum. I really feel they belong in the mixed aged and miscellaneous because of the high volume of product being moved and usually it's contents are very random.

I agree with this. Not that I have anything against mystery boxes - but they are a different kind of sales item than a regular sales thread that itemizes and describes what buyers are getting.

As buyers aren't inclined to purchase from you without grades and pictures.

List books here without grades or pics and see how many you sell.

Does 300+ mystery boxes priced at $100 or more in less than a year count?

Does 300+ mystery boxes priced at $100 or more in less than a year count?

So you want more competition? How many times did you re-do your thread before it was acceptable?

I think I said this earlier. I have no problem with how or what you do as a seller yourself. (I have bought and sold to you many times.) My concern is the board more in general.

We have had this argument earlier and I think you have acknowledged my concerns already so don't act like they don't exist. Your opinion is more biased then all the rest because you have a Large financial interest in both allowing and encouraging these mystery boxes to keep being allowed. Again this is nothing personal against you, but if you believe others sellers will get anywhere near the level you offer and satisfy as a seller I got a stack of Black Acre 1 I will sell you for $20 each. :baiting:

Edited by Fastballspecial

If buyers aren't inclined to purchase without grades or pictures then why would they be inclined to buy mystery boxes? Wouldn't they avoid them or assign the same amount of "risk".