• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Sales threads are not a discussion thread. Unless you're buying then it is threadkrapping.

+1

Agreed. Rather than comment in the thread, why not post here or start a separate thread with a link to the thread that you'd like to call out?

Boardies do that in this thread. They called out a book I bought on it's grade, made fun of me, took my lunch money and all that. But, you know, I got over it. :sumo:

Sales threads are not a discussion thread. Unless you're buying then it is threadkrapping.

+1

Agreed. Rather than comment in the thread, why not post here or start a separate thread with a link to the thread that you'd like to call out?

Boardies do that in this thread. They called out a book I bought on it's grade, made fun of me, took my lunch money and all that. But, you know, I got over it. :sumo:

lol

Bump it up a full grade and sell it here...that'll teach 'em. :foryou:

tb-give-the-people-what-they-want.jpeg

Weren't mystery boxes banned? Why does it seem that there are more of those sales threads than ever?

I don't recall mystery boxes being banned. I know raffles were banned.

The one thread is definitely a raffle despite being called a wall of text mystery box thread.

Weren't mystery boxes banned? Why does it seem that there are more of those sales threads than ever?

Wasn't there a lot of communication surrounding mystery boxes being likened to raffles? Maybe I'm imagining that whole affair.

Just a reminder - raffles are not allowed.

If you are spending more money on something than it's worth in the hopes that you will be the advertised "lucky winner" to get the secret package that is instead worth more money than you paid, then you are gambling. Raffles / gambling aren't allowed.

The problem with this type of give away is the debate on whether the original box is worth buying for $250 if there was ZERO chance of a "big win".

When companies do this kind of thing - e.g. give you a shot at a prize when you buy their stuff - they are also usually held to a "no purchase necessary" requirement by law. So people can "sign up to win" even if they buy nothing.

Frankly, I don't know all of the ins-and-outs of the laws regarding this kind of thing so the actual moderation standard will be something like "if it smells like a raffle / game of chance, then it's out."

Arch's thoughts regarding mystery boxes.

Raffles and lotto are banned.

Mystery boxes okay as long as they abide by the rules. I had a conversation with Arch last summer that clarified what is or is not allowed.

Instead of re-reading all of that I'm going to assume that mystery boxes are raffles and everyone is flouting the rules.

Short version is that you can't offer a bunch of junk for the chance at having one box filled with something good. The boxes are supposed to be equal in theory.

I truly don't get why people can't just offer their stuff in a lot at an attractive price. I would much rather know what I'm getting than gamble on the mystery.

It could be interesting and fun but when people test the limits and the line between fun and dumping junk in a raffle format is blurred, the only solution, for an essentially hands off moderation team, is the ban hammer.

Life will go on.