• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Wow thread-crapping in a fundraising/donation thread... new all time low.

I dont disagree with the posters point, but I also dont think that a fundraising thread is the place to re-raise the issue. All the post might do is dissuade someone from participating and helping in the thread.

You don't think it's important for people to know that the person they are donating money to has taken money from boardies, in some cases years ago, and have not provided what was promised?

I don't think we need to deify the party being donated to, reality works just fine. If they have shortcomings, and owe people, then that's part of the story that needs to be told. No sense in hiding facts in order to raise the final tally.

Full disclosure to people throwing money at someone doesn't feel like thread-crapping...at all.

That's the type of context that anyone donating should want to have given the enormity of the latitude the person being donated to has been given. Something that would have had almost anyone else on one or more "lists".

There are folks that are out significant money, and plenty of folks that have supported this same person for several years in that mix, and it's appropriate to have the full measure of reality injected into that conversation as it seems their loss is being muted.

Not sure how the two things go hand in hand. I can definitely understand the people who have been waiting for 3 years for art to not donate since they may feel like they have given Matt more then enough. But mentioning he owes art to people in a charity thread doesn't seem to make much sense unless you think he has misused the money previously given him which should be pointed out if you have proof. Having people like myself donate some money to Matt should in no way stop Matt from living up to his promises and will hopefully help him get the art to people who have paid for it.

It's great that you want to help someone out. There are many people here that have supported Matt for years. I, personally, have several thousand dollars worth of his art and products myself. That's the type of perspective that might be valuable to someone who hasn't supported him in that way in the past.

Letting people know that Matt owes people and that there are other people on this forum being harmed by his circumstances is another reason for people to help get Matt on his feet.

Your donation and the donations of others may be able to help Matt AND the people Matt owes simultaneously. It's all tied together and anyone donating would appreciate a full spoonful of disclosure without the pits filtered out.

And...though this part may seem unpalatable to many, pointing out that Matt owes other people is also helping out Matt. How so? Because it gives Matt (another?) opportunity to make things right if a debt of some kind is owed to others. It's certainly possible that it had been forgotten, or overlooked, and now there's a chance to make things right.

As tough as that is, it's a good thing in the end.

It's why the place is going to mess. Too many hustlers. Buyers and sellers are always trying to take any angle possible.

Sometimes, the "good ol days" were better.

I think we tend to romanticize the "good ol days". I've only been here for 6 years and still consider myself a newb. When I was a fairly new member, I had some bad dealings ( probation list worthy ) with a couple of "well respected", long time members. I was even encouraged at the time privately to nominate these people for the probation list ( I didn't ). Is it worse now? Probably. But if it was ever "perfect", it must have been that way before I arrived.

And you're definitely a noob

At least I know my place, unlike a lot of these other Johnny-come-latelies who think they own the place after a few months.

Yeah, like those ' 05 guys. They're the worst

:cloud9:

Best newb year ever.

I don't understand how a seller can claim No Returns.

If the buyer receives an overgraded book and seeks a return, wouldn't failure of seller to accept return and issue a refund be something that could land him/her on the Probation list?

I wouldn't think so. If you have pictures and know there are no returns why should the seller have to accept a return?

And if you don't have pictures and buy with no returns, well that was probably a poor choice from the buyer.

Part of the problem is a certain assumption that pics/scans are self explanatory, when they are not. Pics mean nothing without at least a numerical grade or some sort of good faith disclosure of hidden defects.

No returns as a policy puts the pressure hard on full disclosure. If you show me a book that looks like a glossy VF and say "great copy!" and it turns out the cover is detached, I'm not going to care if there was a no returns policy, I'm going to want satisfaction for a misrepresentation of the product.

No, pics fixes all of this. :eyeroll:

Maybe you should try not being a contrarian about everything. Just give it a try, once.

You're missing his raison d'etre: rules are for suckers, except when he might get burned.

This.

"Everything is grey, until my wallet is in play."

Ooo....that was kinda catchy...

hm

No way! When I say ONE FREE APPEAL* I mean it. :sumo:

* applies to any appeal priced at $20 or less.

What kind of appeals are $20 or less...?

An appeal to a meter maid while he/she's writing out a ticket..?

hm

You know, I could be on to something, here...

It's why the place is going to mess. Too many hustlers. Buyers and sellers are always trying to take any angle possible.

Sometimes, the "good ol days" were better.

I think we tend to romanticize the "good ol days". I've only been here for 6 years and still consider myself a newb. When I was a fairly new member, I had some bad dealings ( probation list worthy ) with a couple of "well respected", long time members. I was even encouraged at the time privately to nominate these people for the probation list ( I didn't ). Is it worse now? Probably. But if it was ever "perfect", it must have been that way before I arrived.

And you're definitely a noob

At least I know my place, unlike a lot of these other Johnny-come-latelies who think they own the place after a few months.

Yeah, like those ' 05 guys. They're the worst

:cloud9:

Best newb year ever.

+1

Not sure why seller didn't immediately mark it as sold via PM when it happened (if it happened) in the thread. Should be interesting :popcorn:

Given the time frame (three minutes) I am not sure it is reasonable to expect the seller to post the sold via PM that quickly.

If the buyer were OK with going public this would be easy to clear up.

Having sold books here I know some buyers don't want their business made public if they buy the book by PM.

If I were going to put a book up on ebay I wouldn't want the world to know if I got it for less than asking price.

Not sure why seller didn't immediately mark it as sold via PM when it happened (if it happened) in the thread. Should be interesting :popcorn:

Given the time frame (three minutes) I am not sure it is reasonable to expect the seller to post the sold via PM that quickly.

If the buyer were OK with going public this would be easy to clear up.

Having sold books here I know some buyers don't want their business made public if they buy the book by PM.

If I were going to put a book up on ebay I wouldn't want the world to know if I got it for less than asking price.

There is no need to clear it up. (thumbs u

It comes down to reputation.

I do frown upon those quick sales via PM because nobody will ever know if there is sales manipulation going on. If somebody lists some in demand book at a super high price and within 2 minutes says sold via PM, do other sellers go off that new price? Even if it was false. hm

It comes down to reputation.

I do frown upon those quick sales via PM because nobody will ever know if there is sales manipulation going on. If somebody lists some in demand book at a super high price and within 2 minutes says sold via PM, do other sellers go off that new price? Even if it was false. hm

I just sold a book on ebay that I posted less than 48 hours ago.

it was an NYX 3 CGC 9.8.

I had six offers on the book within the first couple hours.

If a book is priced too low it is not hard to believe that someone (or more than one person) will pounce quickly.

Edited by Dr Chaos