• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Well, I have read through the posts, and I've listened to what people have to say. I do respect the opinions of many people on the boards, and some people I respect have clearly expressed that I'm in the wrong.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it's never OK for a seller to change his mind—especially if money hasn't changed hands yet. Legally, can't either party cancel a sale for any reason or no reason before money changes hands? That's what I have always heard: no consideration=no binding contract.

From this point on, you should ask someone else what a "contract" is, what "legally binding" is, what "consideration" is, hell...what "is" is, because your gut reaction in this situation could not be more counter to reality.

Especially now that his post is saved for posterity (unless there is admin intervention). Heck, Chris, I don't even play an attorney after I stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but the thought process is straight from the Jethro Bodine school of lawyering. It is nonsensical.

Well, I have read through the posts, and I've listened to what people have to say. I do respect the opinions of many people on the boards, and some people I respect have clearly expressed that I'm in the wrong.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it's never OK for a seller to change his mind—especially if money hasn't changed hands yet. Legally, can't either party cancel a sale for any reason or no reason before money changes hands? That's what I have always heard: no consideration=no binding contract.

From this point on, you should ask someone else what a "contract" is, what "legally binding" is, what "consideration" is, hell...what "is" is, because your gut reaction in this situation could not be more counter to reality.

Especially now that his post is saved for posterity (unless there is admin intervention). Heck, Chris, I don't even play an attorney after I stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but the thought process is straight from the Jethro Bodine school of lawyering. It is nonsensical.

Perhaps he hit his head on the cee-ment pond?

I need to mull things over for a day or so.

As an aside, I would like people to know why I listed this particular book. I listed it because I decided that I no longer want to collect comics that depict violence against women in a realistic way. I have been extremely distraught lately about a real-life case of violence against a woman in my area, a case that I've been following in the news and through another forum. It is a heartbreaking case. I'm not condemning anyone for collecting crime comics, but there are certain covers that I don't want to look at now.

Jimbo just tell ComCav you wanted a little more than it was posted for if thats ok with him. I know you 2 can work it out and everything will be great.

Jimbo707, your reaction and despise is perfectly understandable, but honestly I can’t see what it has to do with the sale.

Pushing along that reasoning, you should be relieved just to have sold it.

Comcav will just enjoy it as a comic book, I guess, although I have no good feeling about most crime comics as well, even if masterfully crafted (like many ECs).

It is OK to "change your mind" if you are just talking with someone about selling him a book, but after you put a book on sale, under conditions you agree upon, and then change your mind… Well, at least a good explanation is due, out of respect. :shrug:

Jimbo707, your reaction and despise is perfectly understandable, but honestly I can’t see what it has to do with the sale.

Pushing along that reasoning, you should be relieved just to have sold it.

Comcav will just enjoy it as a comic book, I guess, although I have no good feeling about most crime comics as well, even if masterfully crafted (like many ECs).

It is OK to "change your mind" if you are just talking with someone about selling him a book, but after you put a book on sale, under conditions you agree upon, and then change your mind… Well, at least a good explanation is due, out of respect. :shrug:

The bottom line here is money/greed.

Seller's remorse in this case = I could have got more money.

A deal is a deal is a deal. You sell below value, then you take it on the chin and put it down to experience, and that's all there is to it.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it's never OK for a seller to change his mindespecially if money hasn't changed hands yet. Legally, can't either party cancel a sale for any reason or no reason before money changes hands? That's what I have always heard: no consideration=no binding contract.

I need to mull things over for a day or so.

As an aside, I would like people to know why I listed this particular book. I listed it because I decided that I no longer want to collect comics that depict violence against women in a realistic way. I have been extremely distraught lately about a real-life case of violence against a woman in my area, a case that I've been following in the news and through another forum. It is a heartbreaking case. I'm not condemning anyone for collecting crime comics, but there are certain covers that I don't want to look at now.

I can understand and respect this decision. I have often struggled with what comics I should and should not collect. For example...my wife is not thrilled when I buy any GGA. Should I continue to collect these books? IDK.

This does not change my mind on the more important issue in this thread, however, I will say I applaud the OP's decision NOT to collect certain books that he feels are inappropriate for him to possess.

And if that's true, and we take the OP at face value that he listed it because he doesn't like the subject matter...then why cancel the sale because, as he's intimated, the price was a mistake and he should have asked for more?

Can he tolerate "looking at certain covers" until he gets the right price for them?

His reasoning for selling and his reasoning for cancelling of this sale run, entirely, counter to each other.

:D

Ya know...I read the rules regarding sales a couple days ago. I don't recall anything in there about a seller changing his mind or refusing to honor a sale...did I read it wrong? Can someone show me the rule that says a seller has to honor a sale? I know it's expected, and I know it's good for business, and I know the seller risks his reputation if he doesn't, but where is the rule that says he has to? I'm just curious. I personally think Jimbo needs to consummate the sale...but...is that really required here?

Ya know...I read the rules regarding sales a couple days ago. I don't recall anything in there about a seller changing his mind or refusing to honor a sale...did I read it wrong? Can someone show me the rule that says a seller has to honor a sale? I know it's expected, and I know it's good for business, and I know the seller risks his reputation if he doesn't, but where is the rule that says he has to? I'm just curious. I personally think Jimbo needs to consummate the sale...but...is that really required here?

There's also nothing in there about selling a comic and shipping the buyer a Pottery Barn catalog instead. :makepoint:

There's also nothing in there about selling a comic and shipping the buyer a Pottery Barn catalog instead. :makepoint:

Now, that's just silly... :kidaround:

I think jimbo is wrong. I think that an 100 will make this deal go thru fair or not just my Op (shrug)

Honestly I think the deal needs to go through at the listed price. Unless $100 is make or break for him, Jimbo's gotta eat that. It's not like we're talking about a severe price mislisting here. Plus Cav, if I'm not mistaken, stated at no time during communication was he told that he listed at the wrong price.

Wait, wait...if it is not required, how can it add someone to the probation list? Can we add people to the list just because we don't like the way they look? Or the books they collect? I thought they had to violate a rule to be added... hm

I hear you look tall :o

I think jimbo is wrong. I think that 100 bucks will make this deal go thru fair or not just my Op (shrug) . I say we all chip in $1 and thats that :popcorn:

So you want to enable jimbo's behavior?

How is it silly?

A transaction was agreed upon and then the seller up and pulled the rug. No different than a seller not shipping the right item.

Read the probation rules.

well doesn't the list exist exactly for the reason of people not following through on deals they agreed to in good faith? yes I know there are accidents and natural disasters and family emergencies...etc etc. But we're not talking about that here.

Wait, wait...if it is not required, how can it add someone to the probation list? Can we add people to the list just because we don't like the way they look? Or the books they collect? I thought they had to violate a rule to be added... hm

I hear you look tall :o

No, I'm more like Billy Barty... :D

I think jimbo is wrong. I think that an 100 will make this deal go thru fair or not just my Op (shrug)

Honestly I think the deal needs to go through at the listed price. Unless $100 is make or break for him, Jimbo's gotta eat that. It's not like we're talking about a severe price mislisting here. Plus Cav, if I'm not mistaken, stated at no time during communication was he told that he listed at the wrong price.

Money fixes a lot of things :banana: