• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

While not the sole reason for my decision, there was something that bothered me very early on in my interaction with ComicCav. The listing stated, after the price, "+ actual shipping costs." The attached image shows the response that I received when I asked what shipping method he preferred and whether he wanted insurance.

The tone of the message made me uncomfortable. It is what started me thinking about whether I wanted to go through with the transaction with this particular board member. From what I remember, no other prospective buyer has tried to pressure me to throwing in free shipping after the fact. It wasn't about the dollar amount; the book could probably be shipped from Michigan to Illinois for $15, maybe less.

Why dont you send book to a buddy you have here and they can send to ComCav win win.

i'd kinda like to know which boardie among us pulled the after-sale coup; another one i'd choose not to deal with down the road.

Excellent question, I too would like to know. Whomever they are they can take solace in knowing they can pull that book out from the deepest depths of their mancave in the middle of the night and gaze upon its beauty all by his lonesome. Such a shame the book can't go on a sig line or posted on one of the "cool" threads showing off a recent acquisition. How could anyone actually feel good about obtaining a book in this fashion is beyond me.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that and the seller eventually does the ONLY thing he should have done to begin with. Get. Book. to. Cav.

Doesn't sound like a do the right thing kind of guy at this point, but there is always the hope of redemption and salvation.

The scarlet letter's on there now so I'm guessing he keeps the money and hits the road or goes into run silent run deep mode. The new buyer can't really show off the brand new toy though.

And ComicCav will have to pay a little more eventually to stop that check too. $25 I think my bank charges. Unless Jimbo_707 sends it back. Over/under on that?

Doesn't sound like a do the right thing kind of guy at this point, but there is always the hope of redemption and salvation.

The scarlet letter's on there now so I'm guessing he keeps the money and hits the road or goes into run silent run deep mode. The new buyer can't really show off the brand new toy though.

And ComicCav will have to pay a little more eventually to stop that check too. $25 I think my bank charges. Unless Jimbo_707 sends it back. Over/under on that?

Backing out of a deal is one thing. I can't imagine he would cash the $815 check and not send the book as well.

While not the sole reason for my decision, there was something that bothered me very early on in my interaction with ComicCav. The listing stated, after the price, "+ actual shipping costs." The attached image shows the response that I received when I asked what shipping method he preferred and whether he wanted insurance.

The tone of the message made me uncomfortable. It is what started me thinking about whether I wanted to go through with the transaction with this particular board member. From what I remember, no other prospective buyer has tried to pressure me to throwing in free shipping after the fact. It wasn't about the dollar amount; the book could probably be shipped from Michigan to Illinois for $15, maybe less.

i am underwhelmed by this. silence would've been better.

+1

That is about the most pizz poor excuse I have ever heard around these parts. lol. I always run for the rafters if someone wants me to throw in shipping on an $800.00 book. lol What a crock.

Direct question: Did you sell it to another board for more than your asking in the thread?

Jimbo_707 - I did not stop payment on the check. It will not bounce, and if you are concerned about that let's find a 3rd party to hold it in escrow. Never have, but really, you think I'll bounce a check on a case THIS high profile? hahaha. If you want another party to hold it, I'll pay all shipping costs therein. Any other potential weak excuses I can preempt?

Jimbo_707 - I did not stop payment on the check. It will not bounce, and if you are concerned about that let's find a 3rd party to hold it in escrow. Never have, but really, you think I'll bounce a check on a case THIS high profile? hahaha. If you want another party to hold it, I'll pay all shipping costs therein. Any other potential weak excuses I can preempt?

I will gladly ship the book to you if he will send to me than this whole thing can end. I dont think he would sell it for more money he just dont trust you it looks like.

Edited by woowoo

167084.jpg

1) This may have carried some weight if you didn't play Mr. Clean and scrub and delete your posts and all the terms that went with it (along with deleting PMs) in what can only be looked upon as an ill-advised attempt to white wash and avoid scrutiny regarding this transaction.

2) If this made you uncomfortable, this...milquetoast and bland...entirely non-confrontational PM, then I have to question how much interaction you've had with the outside world.

There's no pressure here and, frankly, it reeks of someone reaching and grasping at straws to find something to kill a deal.

So, you want this to go away? Did you sell it to someone else? For how much? Full disclosure, no more attempts to scrub the conversation and hide what actually happened.

I think I saw $800 but can't swear to it

Yep, $800.

That's what I saw, too...which makes me curious why everyone thinks that was such a smoking deal, anyway. As soon as OP listed the book (before the take its and drama started), I glanced at GPA just for the heck of it, and saw a 2013 GPA sale for that book @ $450, and a 2012 sale on a 7.5 for $158. I thought...dang, he's pricing that pretty aggressively...he probably thought so too, until he (I guess) got a better offer :P

As a side point of curiosity...something happen in the last 3 years that would double the price of that book?

A LOT of married or just divorced boardies out there.....A LOT.

That cover probably strikes a chord.

Earlier one poster threatened assault , that's some rage

Blocking people, probe list etc etc

People can have their take on it, I've worked in management positions and I can't throw people - either party under the bus - for a single infraction

Each to his own

If the seller reneged on a deal to get more money after cav bought the book for the price being asked, why wait for a second infraction to occur? Sure they could have updated personal lists and moved on, sucks for the next guy on the boards who may fall prey to this from the same seller. I personally hope the seller will get shamed into honoring his deal with Cav, or get nominated by him for the PL. FWIW I'm in management too and there are some things such as having good business ethics and values that are non-negotiable with me. If that puts me in the "pitchfork" crew, I'm cool with that.

I agree with Brains on this. PL list is there for this purpose, correct?

Like so many here I have some pretty significant after sale offers here that I have turned down. One would have put $6k more in my pocket that night :facepalm:

You freakin' honor the deal, unless your raising funds for a life and death matter and the original buyer agrees to let you off the hook. Right?

i'd kinda like to know which boardie among us pulled the after-sale coup; another one i'd choose not to deal with down the road.

Excellent question, I too would like to know. Whomever they are they can take solace in knowing they can pull that book out from the deepest depths of their mancave in the middle of the night and gaze upon its beauty all by his lonesome. Such a shame the book can't go on a sig line or posted on one of the "cool" threads showing off a recent acquisition. How could anyone actually feel good about obtaining a book in this fashion is beyond me.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that and the seller eventually does the ONLY thing he should have done to begin with. Get. Book. to. Cav.

well said man.

Earlier one poster threatened assault , that's some rage

Blocking people, probe list etc etc

People can have their take on it, I've worked in management positions and I can't throw people - either party under the bus - for a single infraction

Each to his own

If the seller reneged on a deal to get more money after cav bought the book for the price being asked, why wait for a second infraction to occur? Sure they could have updated personal lists and moved on, sucks for the next guy on the boards who may fall prey to this from the same seller. I personally hope the seller will get shamed into honoring his deal with Cav, or get nominated by him for the PL. FWIW I'm in management too and there are some things such as having good business ethics and values that are non-negotiable with me. If that puts me in the "pitchfork" crew, I'm cool with that.

I agree with Brains on this. PL list is there for this purpose, correct?

Like so many here I have some pretty significant after sale offers here that I have turned down. One would have put $6k more in my pocket that night :facepalm:

You freakin' honor the deal, unless your raising funds for a life and death matter and the original buyer agrees to let you off the hook. Right?

well said Rick.....