• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

When I bought my second house I was really not in favor of it, my wife wanted the house, I was against it, I came very close to walking out of the closing and refusing to sigh etc etc sure enough it was the money pit I thought it would be.

I had agreed to buy the house, we were sitting down ready to go but there was absolutely nothing that could have stopped me saying I changed my mind if I wanted up until the time I signed the papers.

I could have easily walked away from a seven figure deal after saying :takeout:

Not free and clear.

Not without penalty.

Not with your earnest money.

And probably not without a suit for reliance damages given what real estate contracts entail once due diligence, inspection and review periods expire. Because that person you're buying from is probably buying another place and the months of time lost to you (culminating in a walk out) kept them from finding another buyer. It also is going to stop them from closing on their new home. They've hired movers, and painters, and registered their kids in a new school, canceled the utilities, changed their mailing address, etc etc etc.

All those dominoes fall as a result of your action of walking out on a firm contract.

We can look at this a different way, for example, a Doctors office.

I make an appointment. The time comes for the appointment. But I changed my mind the day of the appointment. I call and cancel a couple hours before the appointment. The Doctor has provided no service yet. However, the Doctor has a 72 required cancellation window that I blew off...and there's a penalty attached.

I shouldn't be required to pay that penalty, right? I mean, I didn't get any medical care. The Doc didn't do anything for me. I just changed my mind. FREEDOM!!!!! lol

The sales forum is going to become an interesting place if sellers don't have to sell and buyers don't have to pay after agreeing to transactions because they "changed their mind."

I'm stirring it up for a reason. Sorry Joe, I do think as we all do that you're a stand up guy, and I know you would let the other party walk away if they weren't into it. I never thought you guilty of having double standards.

Still, just like you would be remiss if you didn't instruct your young ones about the inviolate nature of gravity - you should also teach them about the basis for contract law. What it means to us - why it is so important. More so even than ethics perhaps - because if our children are not reality based, they could end up in trouble.

At the end of the day, you cannot have it your own way, you will comply. At the end of the day, someone will come for you. If you have stuff, it will get taken. Perhaps your liberty as well, perhaps not. But that too is controlled by law. No debtor's prison, now, but there was, once, and could be again. It's more about that there are prisons, and the ones there aren't there voluntarily.

Of course you get that. From there just get all Spock on it. 10 mintues on Google, maybe a little legal philosophy for fun, it's all very clear.

I was going to post something witty and pertinent to the conversation...

...but I changed my mind.

me - ME!

The runaway train

T'was in the year of '89 on that old Great Western line,

When the winter wind was blowin' shrill,

The rails were froze, the wheels were cold, then the air brakes wouldn't hold,

And Number 9 came roaring down the hill -- oh!

The runaway train came down the track and she blew,

The runaway train came down the track and she blew,

The runaway train came down the track, her whistle wide and her throttle back,

And she blew, blew, blew, blew, blew.

The runaway train went over the hill and she blew,

The runaway train went over the hill and she blew,

The runaway train went over the hill and the last we heard she was going still,

And she blew, blew, blew, blew, blew.

Discussions like this one are what help affirm or change the protocol in the sales forum. Thank you Mods!

Dan

lol

I propose a new set of smileys.

231cf734258027fa75c0e39170bfc29388b8f928.gif

06dc305a8eaca6f9a8bbe380001b892d0fce9aa7.gif

c4ce66604857d138b5e504d4bb05e9d85e8863e9.gif

fd26efcf03804b1b450734d83f4b94b8526ea7bc.gif

a trophy for everyone! no obligations, just change your mind! ain't life grand?

:takeit:

747abc264e1d4fab6728cb21f23ce48fe7b9c224.gif

...I honestly did laugh out loud to this one.

Doc Joe is advocating like he's the one that made the post-deal bid for the book. You didn't, did you, Doc Joe?

Since Jimbo_707 and Doc Joe seem to be all for post-transaction plays, on ComCav's behalf, I plan on creating a program that monitors board activity. Then, whenever Jimbo_707 or Doc Joe claim a book, this program will automatically contact the seller and offer 20% more.

Then, since we don't really care about enforceability or follow-through, ComCav can just decide not to go through with any +20% deals that he doesn't like.

Wow i never got my breatmints you said you would send me. I guess i have to start a thread on it. lol O am i paying shipping on them :frustrated: