• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I wasn't suggesting you'd stop the check to prevent payment. He won't do your deal, won't steal your money by cashing the check, he'll just toss it or shred it. And 4 months from now you'll stop the check to get it right on the books. That's what I meant. Or he could do the smaller right thing and mail it back VOIDED if you're not going to be his buttercup.

Jimbo_707 - I did not stop payment on the check. It will not bounce, and if you are concerned about that let's find a 3rd party to hold it in escrow. Never have, but really, you think I'll bounce a check on a case THIS high profile? hahaha. If you want another party to hold it, I'll pay all shipping costs therein. Any other potential weak excuses I can preempt?

I'll offer to be the intermediary if for some reason WooWoo is not acceptable. I am not worried about William's check, and I'll gladly send a bank check to Jimbo.

I'm hoping that the book was not sold elsewhere, because you've both always seemed like good guys and sometimes, a tone in writing, is not exactly what it would be in person.

In other words, I'm hoping it was all just a temporary error in judgement that can be worked out and no one will go on the probation list.

Edited by skypinkblu

Jimbo_707 - I did not stop payment on the check. It will not bounce, and if you are concerned about that let's find a 3rd party to hold it in escrow. Never have, but really, you think I'll bounce a check on a case THIS high profile? hahaha. If you want another party to hold it, I'll pay all shipping costs therein. Any other potential weak excuses I can preempt?

I'll offer to be the intermediary if for some reason WooWoo is not acceptable. I am not worried about William's check, and I'll gladly send a bank check to Jimbo.

I'm hoping that the book was not sold elsewhere, because you've both always seemed like good guys and sometimes, a tone in writing, is not exactly what it would be in person.

In other words, I'm hoping it was all just a temporary error in judgement that can be worked out and no one will go on the probation list.

Sha....this is an open and shut case here. Cav won the comic. Seller got a better offer from another boardie here(who i would love it if he was a man and let us all know who he is) then proceeded to find any excuse to not sell to Comcav. Not cool, not what these boards are about and it doesnt matter if he got 3 times the offer. IF he offered to sell it for under value its his mistake and Cav's win. Open and shut case. how do you put people on probation list?

Sha....this is an open and shut case here. Cav won the comic. Seller got a better offer from another boardie here(who i would love it if he was a man and let us all know who he is) then proceeded to find any excuse to not sell to Comcav. Not cool, not what these boards are about and it doesnt matter if he got 3 times the offer. IF he offered to sell it for under value its his mistake and Cav's win. Open and shut case. how do you put people on probation list?

There is a whole list of rules regarding the probation list in the sales forum, but I'm hoping it will not come to that.

Sometimes in the heat of the moment, nice people make an error in judgement, and I'm hoping that Jimbo will realize that and correct it, Tamir.

I already told William about the probation list. If the "error" is corrected, which I'm hoping will happen, then no one has to go on it. If it's not sold and Jimbo is concerned about dealing directly with William at least 2 of us have offered to be the third party and the "error" can be corrected.

If it was already sold to someone else, then the probation list is an option.

There is a whole list of rules regarding the probation list in the sales forum, but I'm hoping it will not come to that.

Sometimes in the heat of the moment, nice people make an error in judgement, and I'm hoping that Jimbo will realize that and correct it, Tamir.

I already told William about the probation list. If the "error" is corrected, which I'm hoping will happen, then no one has to go on it. If it's not sold and Jimbo is concerned about dealing directly with William at least 2 of us have offered to be the third party and the "error" can be corrected.

If it was already sold to someone else, then the probation list is an option.

+1

One thing that we have debated on the boards is how far sellers should go to eat mistakes. When I priced the book, I tried to base it in large part on what I had paid myself, multiplied by x. I realized later that I had used the wrong amount. I mixed up the prices of two books that I had bought from the same dealer right around the same time. The book should have been priced higher, no question. I have eaten mistakes like that before, more than once, on a smaller scale, usually for the sake of good will.

The buyer had certainly seen the "+ actual shipping costs" in the original listing, so the wording of the note struck me as disingenuous. The note did not motivate me to want to eat a large pricing mistake for the sake of good will.

For the record, I would never cash someone's check and not ship a book.

Also, if ghosting means abandining the boards, I obviously haven't ghosted. I also haven't sold the book.

One thing that we have debated on the boards is how far sellers should go to eat mistakes. When I priced the book, I tried to base it in large part on what I had paid myself, multiplied by x. I realized later that I had used the wrong amount. I mixed up the prices of two books that I had bought from the same dealer right around the same time. The book should have been priced higher, no question. I have eaten mistakes like that before, more than once, on a smaller scale, usually for the sake of good will.

The buyer had certainly seen the "+ actual shipping costs" in the original listing, so the wording of the note struck me as disingenuous. The note did not motivate me to want to eat a large pricing mistake for the sake of good will.

Also, if ghosting means abandining the boards, I obviously haven't ghosted. I also haven't sold the book.

You're an adult. You took several actions to get to this point. You own the book, you scanned the book, you priced the book, you posted the book, you sold the book. Your mistake is yours, but you'd like the buyer to bear the brunt of your error.

It seems you're saying that the "reasons" you have for not following through on the deal is really one reason, money.

I have to ask, what price would have been the "correct" one to you?

I ask because I am always curious what each person's individual integrity is worth to them.

OK man. What price should it have been? And will you please just sell it to Comcav? Ill pay double the shipping to you so he can have the book. He wants it and is upset. WOuld be nice to make you both happy here and get this over with. What will it take?

You're an adult. You took several actions to get to this point. You own the book, you scanned the book, you priced the book, you posted the book, you sold the book. Your mistake is yours, but you'd like the buyer to bear the brunt of your error.

It seems you're saying that the "reasons" you have for not following through on the deal is really one reason, money.

I ask because I am always curious what each person's individual integrity is worth to them.

It does raise an interesting question. What if a seller hits the wrong key when listing a book, say $400 rather than $600, and someone pounced on it before the seller could edit his post? Mistakes do happen. Where do we draw the line?

Jimbo, you've admitted to making a mistake and admitted to making similar mistakes in the past. Perhaps your record keeping system is poor, I like to place a sticker on the back of anything I buy with grade and cost information.

Jimbo_707 - "For the record, I would never cash someone's check and not ship a book." Good to know you do have SOME ethical boundaries.

"Also, if ghosting means abandining the boards, I obviously haven't ghosted." No, I was saying you refuse all PMs and that means you ghosted. I see you still do not allow PMs. How does anyone who is not hiding act like that?

"I also haven't sold the book." By any ethical, decent, civil, and legal code of conduct, you have. Now you may not deliver the book, but I don't think there is a single person here who does not think a transaction has occurred whereby you sold me the book.

Did you get a better offer after the sale and that is what made you feel like it was worth more? Your actions have been super-shady and it sounds like your reason is simply what we all feared.

It does raise an interesting question. What if a seller hits the wrong key when listing a book, say $400 rather than $600, and someone pounced on it before the seller could edit his post? Mistakes do happen. Where do we draw the line?

Jimbo, you've admitted to making a mistake and admitted to making similar mistakes in the past. Perhaps your record keeping system is poor, I like to place a sticker on the back of anything I buy with grade and cost information.

I think it comes down to timeline.

:takeit: @ $400 pm sent

reads pm and responds sorry I mistyped the price and should have read $600 very sorry about that.

Vs

:takeit: @ $400 pm sent

reads pm, awesome here is my information if you could pay by check that would be great.

sure I'll send you a check for $400 cause shipping is included right?

no its not sorry you can send the check for $415 to my address below

ok no worries i'll have the check for $415 drafted up tomorrow and send it out

perfect look forward to receiving the $415 and shipping out your book.

Wrong key is probably noticed and fixed in 45 seconds.

Usually with a note to say, "sorry, typo, should have been $x"

This one was up for 45 minutes before it was sold. Then it was pulled down after that with no explanation. Feels a lot like seller's remorse and not so much like an oopsey typo.

There were multiple PMs exchanged confirmed the sale, before he started deleting them all. He never mentioned a problem with covering the shopping as he offered to do so. I paid it anyway. There was no prompt retraction, nothing stated from him until just now!