• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

One thing that we have debated on the boards is how far sellers should go to eat mistakes. When I priced the book, I tried to base it in large part on what I had paid myself, multiplied by x. I realized later that I had used the wrong amount. I mixed up the prices of two books that I had bought from the same dealer right around the same time. The book should have been priced higher, no question. I have eaten mistakes like that before, more than once, on a smaller scale, usually for the sake of good will.

The buyer had certainly seen the "+ actual shipping costs" in the original listing, so the wording of the note struck me as disingenuous. The note did not motivate me to want to eat a large pricing mistake for the sake of good will.

For the record, I would never cash someone's check and not ship a book.

Also, if ghosting means abandining the boards, I obviously haven't ghosted. I also haven't sold the book.

You're an adult. You took several actions to get to this point. You own the book, you scanned the book, you priced the book, you posted the book, you sold the book. Your mistake is yours, but you'd like the buyer to bear the brunt of your error.

It seems you're saying that the "reasons" you have for not following through on the deal is really one reason, money.

I have to ask, what price would have been the "correct" one to you?

I ask because I am always curious what each person's individual integrity is worth to them.

It does raise an interesting question. What if a seller hits the wrong key when listing a book, say $400 rather than $600, and someone pounced on it before the seller could edit his post? Mistakes do happen. Where do we draw the line?

Jimbo, you've admitted to making a mistake and admitted to making similar mistakes in the past. Perhaps your record keeping system is poor, I like to place a sticker on the back of anything I buy with grade and cost information.

...in this case, I would make a post in the thread stating that I had made a typo if it was by a significant margin..... like a decimal or more..... if 40 or 50 bucks I'd eat it. If Jimbo truly did decide to disregard ComCav on the more personal level that he claims, it might have been better if he had included the disclaimer "I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". I'm just hoping this works out for everyone involved..... life's just too short for the drama.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... when I first saw the book listed I could have claimed it myself..... 50 minutes elapsed before Cav did...... but I was thinking more $600ish..... so I'm not sure what a screaming steal it was at $ 800 (shrug)

I wanted the book badly and made an offer to ComCav after the sale but I assure everyone it wasn't me who stopped the original deal. My offer was to ComCav, not the original seller, just in case ComCav felt like making a few dollars. I'm sure most of you know my reputation with both buying and selling.

The only debate has been between those who think their self interest mitigates a contract and those who know it doesn't.

As to eating mistakes - you've got to eat it all - small, big, no matter, and it's not for good will, you big hearted guy you, and it's not just because it's the "right" thing, ultimately it's because you will be coerced otherwise. Maybe not in this case, but at your age you think the world works around what does Jim want to do today?

There is no line, no do-overs, pay attention or pay the consequences. Cutting wood, driving, listing, all of it. Or beg the other party for mercy. There's still honor in that.

I wanted the book badly and made an offer to ComCav after the sale but I assure everyone it wasn't me who stopped the original deal. My offer was to ComCav, not the original seller, just in case ComCav felt like making a few dollars. I'm sure most of you know my reputation with both buying and selling.

That's the way it should work.

One thing that we have debated on the boards is how far sellers should go to eat mistakes. When I priced the book, I tried to base it in large part on what I had paid myself, multiplied by x. I realized later that I had used the wrong amount. I mixed up the prices of two books that I had bought from the same dealer right around the same time. The book should have been priced higher, no question. I have eaten mistakes like that before, more than once, on a smaller scale, usually for the sake of good will.

The buyer had certainly seen the "+ actual shipping costs" in the original listing, so the wording of the note struck me as disingenuous. The note did not motivate me to want to eat a large pricing mistake for the sake of good will.

Also, if ghosting means abandining the boards, I obviously haven't ghosted. I also haven't sold the book.

This happens all the time, the wrong pricing. I priced some books at what I thought was a fair price and the next day one of those books went for more than the entire group on an auction site.

It happens...but the same thing could happen in the other direction, I can ask X for a book, the buyer agrees and the next night, a similar copy goes for 1/2 the agreed price.

After all, isn't MOST of this just guessing?

No one knows what tomorrow might bring.

I've made typos and honored them. It's not the other person's fault if you make a mistake.

I just try to remember one thing...I'm a collector, and I want to treat others the way I'd like people to treat ME.

I'm glad to hear you still have the book and you seem like someone who enjoys being here, why not just think it over tonight? I believe it will look different to you in the morning. Don't dig yourself into a hole over a "mistake". I'm sure you realize the shipping costs were a minor issue...and if the deal were in person, the two of you probably would have spent the $15 on a few beers afterwards (together).

Just think it through without getting more upset than you need to. Erasing posts and blocking pms might have been a bit overzealous.

I'm sure your reputation is valuable to you, or else you would not have gone as far as you have here.

The only debate has been between those who think their self interest mitigates a contract and those who know it doesn't.

As to eating mistakes - you've got to eat it all - small, big, no matter, and it's not for good will, you big hearted guy you, and it's not just because it's the "right" thing, ultimately it's because you will be coerced otherwise. Maybe not in this case, but at your age you think the world works around what does Jim want to do today?

There is no line, no do-overs, pay attention or pay the consequences. Cutting wood, driving, listing, all of it. Or beg the other party for mercy. There's still honor in that.

I like the cut of your jib.

But honestly what are we talking here. We are acting like that is a $10k book.

It is rare and not easy to find but i wouldnt have paid $800. And ive bought rare and incredibly rare books.

Comcav just loves to say "ill take it" half the time hes not even looking hahaha.

So are we talking you lost $100? $200....omg $250? This isnt big money. Just send the guy the comic and lets move on before Karma catches you and stings you in the arzzzz

This happens all the time, the wrong pricing. I priced some books at what I thought was a fair price and the next day one of those books went for more than the entire group on an auction site.

It happens...but the same thing could happen in the other direction, I can ask X for a book, the buyer agrees and the next night, a similar copy goes for 1/2 the agreed price.

After all, isn't MOST of this just guessing?

No one knows what tomorrow might bring.

I've made typos and honored them. It's not the other person's fault if you make a mistake.

I just try to remember one thing...I'm a collector, and I want to treat others the way I'd like people to treat ME.

I'm glad to hear you still have the book and you seem like someone who enjoys being here, why not just think it over tonight? I believe it will look different to you in the morning. Don't dig yourself into a hole over a "mistake". I'm sure you realize the shipping costs were a minor issue...and if the deal were in person, the two of you probably would have spent the $15 on a few beers afterwards (together).

Just think it through without getting more upset than you need to. Erasing posts and blocking pms might have been a bit overzealous.

I'm sure your reputation is valuable to you, or else you would not have gone as far as you have here.

I am so glad people like Sharon are on these boards.

Her wisdom and level headed approach to problems is like a breath of fresh air.

Her willingness to do what it takes to solve problems (such as acting as an intermediary for this deal), is further evidence of the kind of person she is.

(thumbs u

You're an adult. You took several actions to get to this point. You own the book, you scanned the book, you priced the book, you posted the book, you sold the book. Your mistake is yours, but you'd like the buyer to bear the brunt of your error.

It seems you're saying that the "reasons" you have for not following through on the deal is really one reason, money.

I have to ask, what price would have been the "correct" one to you?

I ask because I am always curious what each person's individual integrity is worth to them.

It does raise an interesting question. What if a seller hits the wrong key when listing a book, say $400 rather than $600, and someone pounced on it before the seller could edit his post? Mistakes do happen. Where do we draw the line?

Jimbo, you've admitted to making a mistake and admitted to making similar mistakes in the past. Perhaps your record keeping system is poor, I like to place a sticker on the back of anything I buy with grade and cost information.

Wrong key is probably noticed and fixed in 45 seconds.

Usually with a note to say, "sorry, typo, should have been $x"

This one was up for 45 minutes before it was sold. Then it was pulled down after that with no explanation. Feels a lot like seller's remorse and not so much like an oopsey typo.

Yes, it isn't the same situation, just asking a hypothetical question.

You raised a point earlier in this thread about deleting the initial post containing the sales thread rules making it difficult for us to figure out what's going on. Add to that he's not accepting PMs, offering us a weak excuse for cancelling the sale and then adding more info when that didn't fly, and generally dragging his feet. It doesn't look good, from top to bottom, side to side, corner to corner

...in this case, I would make a post in the thread stating that I had made a typo if it was by a significant margin..... like a decimal or more..... if 40 or 50 bucks I'd eat it. If Jimbo truly did decide to disregard ComCav on the more personal level that he claims, it might have been better if he had included the disclaimer "I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". I'm just hoping this works out for everyone involved..... life's just too short for the drama.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... when I first saw the book listed I could have claimed it myself..... 50 minutes elapsed before Cav did...... but I was thinking more $600ish..... so I'm not sure what a screaming steal it was at $ 800 (shrug)

Great minds, jimbo...I made a similar comment in the General Discussion area yesterday :

[$800 was] what I saw, too...which makes me curious why everyone thinks that was such a smoking deal, anyway. As soon as OP listed the book (before the take its and drama started), I glanced at GPA just for the heck of it, and saw a 2013 GPA sale for that book @ $450, and a 2012 sale on a 7.5 for $158. I thought...dang, he's pricing that pretty aggressively...he probably thought so too, until he (I guess) got a better offer :P

As a side point of curiosity...something happen in the last 3 years that would double the price of that book?

(shrug)

Also, I've happily sold numerous books to ComCav (as many of us have :D ), and he has always paid me via check. Because he uses a "fee-free" payment mechanism, I've always covered shipping...he has never asked me to do so...I've just always taken that prerogative. Of course, this doesn't mean that ComCav has the right to expect this to the be the norm...each seller to his own...but there is certainly nothing nefarious in him casually asking the question.

So, (aside from issues about general integrity, which many of you have already covered well) seems like to me that $800 is a more than fair price to the OP, and he's at least as well off (if not better) with $800 shipped paid via check than he is at $800 + shipping paid via PayPal...talk about a bizarre deal to go down in flames on... :insane:

I purchased a book from a major dealer a month ago

he emailed me the price 465

then (I suspect after looking into it) emails again saying

"sorry its a typo..its actually 665"

I just laughed because this has happened before, and I paid, I did not have a hissy fit. I could have changed my mind.

I see every transaction as being able to be changed by either party at any time until money is cashed or book in hand. For seller and buyer.

I have said I'll take it then backed out. I have said I'll sell it then backed out.

Its my money I can change my mind if I want to. Its my book I can change my mind if I want to. I don't even have to give a reason; I just changed my mind.

Just because someone if paying cash or whatever the seller can determine the shipping costs too. I have purchased art for 25K and still had to tack on 50$ for shipping. Seller can decide but so can the buyer.

I think Jimbo has every right not to do the deal and ComCav has every right to be pissed off. Don't deal with each other again and thats that.

Obviously the majority of the opinions seem to go in the other direction but just wanted to present an alternative point of view having done thousands of deals over the years (as I am sure many of you have as well).

Doc Joe what you write 'seems' sensible and as an 'in conclusion.' However the true point being is that this forum doesn't function properly if members start acting dishonest and under-handed. Your word is your bond here. This comic community developed here while far from perfect can only operate well if its' members honor their contracts to sell when a book of theirs is offered as much as one pay's when they say 'I Will Take It.'

Whether the book was an $80 or $800 book the point being is this behavior needs to be called attention to so it hopefully ends. Perhaps on another comic forum this can be tolerated but here I think it should be less tolerated. IMO

I purchased a book from a major dealer a month ago

he emailed me the price 465

then (I suspect after looking into it) emails again saying

"sorry its a typo..its actually 665"

I just laughed because this has happened before, and I paid, I did not have a hissy fit. I could have changed my mind.

I see every transaction as being able to be changed by either party at any time until money is cashed or book in hand. For seller and buyer.

I have said I'll take it then backed out. I have said I'll sell it then backed out.

Its my money I can change my mind if I want to. Its my book I can change my mind if I want to. I don't even have to give a reason; I just changed my mind.

Just because someone if paying cash or whatever the seller can determine the shipping costs too. I have purchased art for 25K and still had to tack on 50$ for shipping. Seller can decide but so can the buyer.

I think Jimbo has every right not to do the deal and ComCav has every right to be pissed off. Don't deal with each other again and thats that.

Obviously the majority of the opinions seem to go in the other direction but just wanted to present an alternative point of view having done thousands of deals over the years (as I am sure many of you have as well).

Sounds like a great idea. So, let's turn each listing into a constructive auction. There will be implied terms, "Price is the price, unless someone offers the seller more at any point prior to shipment, then, well, too bad." Sounds like a great forum for business. :facepalm:

Unless you're trying to buy the book in question, I have no idea why you'd type that. This board is great because most view this situation differently.