• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

So, is the primary reason here the price? I know Jimbo said that the shipping issue wasn't the sole reason he didn't want to follow through, and then he brought up the price mix up. If this does seem to be priced correctly according to GPA and such, it only makes sense to follow through.

But Jimbo also said he had valid reasons not to proceed but couldn't discuss it since getting attorneys involved was mentioned, unless he's decided to state those reasons being the price mix up and shipping issue

Lucid - There are many fundamental issues that have gone unaddressed. He's introduced several red herrings to the matter. The litany of questions he has evaded certainly calls all of his motives into question. I'd love to be incorrect, and the book to arrive, but my goodness he is digging in deep with a wildly unpopular position.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it's never OK for a seller to change his mind—especially if money hasn't changed hands yet. Legally, can't either party cancel a sale for any reason or no reason before money changes hands? That's what I have always heard: no consideration=no binding contract.

I, just, don't, get, it.

You scrubbed your thread, you've blamed the buyer, you've gone silent and blocked your pms, , you've attempted to make it an emotional issue tied to women's rights, and now you're arguing against long accepted selling practice,

It just seems so out of character for who I thought you were.

Well, I have read through the posts, and I've listened to what people have to say. I do respect the opinions of many people on the boards, and some people I respect have clearly expressed that I'm in the wrong.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that it's never OK for a seller to change his mind—especially if money hasn't changed hands yet. Legally, can't either party cancel a sale for any reason or no reason before money changes hands? That's what I have always heard: no consideration=no binding contract.

I need to mull things over for a day or so.

My 2c . Life is full of disagreements and that's nothing new, but if you took the time to solicit opinions from those you respect, then take their advice since they have no interest in the outcome.

The part about mulling this over. The longer you wait, the longer this negative thread lives. The best way to kill negativity is to do the right thing so everyone can move on.

What a waste of goodwill capital. I'll never understand what motivates someone to destroy the sense of community they've already built up.

That's why, a few pages back, I asked:

I have to ask, what price would have been the "correct" one to you?

I ask because I am always curious what each person's individual integrity is worth to them.

Penny wise.

Dollar foolish.

All of man's commercial world rests on a structure built in defense against "I changed my mind". Important enough to be backed by physical force.

I don't get why some of us, and there are always some every time this comes up, who get that the process has to be locked down at some point, but tie that into a stick or a stone being placed into or leaving your physical hand.

In the beginning was the Word. Why do the sounds "Yes I agree" have meaning beyond noise or pass the banana? You guys aren't dense, but your thinking appears shoddy.

I, just, don't, get, it.

You scrubbed your thread, you've blamed the buyer, you've gone silent and blocked your pms, , you've attempted to make it an emotional issue tied to women's rights, and now you're arguing against long accepted selling practice,

It just seems so out of character for who I thought you were.

Money seems to have a way of bringing out one's bad side unfortunately...

When I bought my second house I was really not in favor of it, my wife wanted the house, I was against it, I came very close to walking out of the closing and refusing to sigh etc etc sure enough it was the money pit I thought it would be.

I had agreed to buy the house, we were sitting down ready to go but there was absolutely nothing that could have stopped me saying I changed my mind if I wanted up until the time I signed the papers.

I could have easily walked away from a seven figure deal after saying :takeout:

I guess I was the buyer by no reason why the seller could not have changed their mind at that time too.

Why the heck does some post on a semi-public forum constitute an iron clad commitment to a deal that either party can not walk away from prior to the exchange of money compared with me spending millions of dollars on a house when I can walk away at any time.

Get a grip....the seller can do what he likes. You may not like it; you make not want to buy from him; this may break the code of the ocean but this deal is nothing to do with any of us except those involved.

This is not some contract bound by God;

What if you say you want to buy something on Craigs list and turn up and they decide not to sell it after all? Lawyers?

I'm getting libertarian here....but I think the intrusion into a mans right to do with his property what he wishes is his. He can offer it for sale and then change his mind. He can NOT do this because someone is black or gay etc but he could do it because XYZ is a Gemini and he does not like Gemini's as far as I am concerned.

Pressuring someone into something they don't want to do...sorry but I will stand up for that every time. I know Im in the minority, I know you disagree. I am not a lawyer. Guy was offering a funny book and changed his mind. Bad form, yes but so what.

At this point the book should be burnt publicly at SDCC ... its tainted

I wish I could stay away from this thread....its not helping my day !!!

:cry:

Doc Joe - " this may break the code of the ocean but this deal is nothing to do with any of us except those involved." Yep. I'm involved. I'm, crying foul. You have a different opinion, thanks for sharing, but apples and oranges with your analogy. The concern here is what is the status of the book? Does he have it in his hands? Perhaps he can provide a photo in front of a website from today to show current ownership.

I've waited to comment for a while, instead preferring to follow the various discussions and new revelations to get more information. This situation, as many have surmised, is all about money. Everything else: the "bad feeling", shipping, and moral issues are all attempts to redirect what was a series of unfortunate (but intentional) events by the seller to get more of it. There can be no other reason.

That being said, I think there is still an opportunity to fix this for 707. I think what everyone had hoped for was a quick acknowledgement of poor judgement, and an action to make it right: immediately. Trust is the real currency in which we all trade here on the boards and all attempts to "justify" a breach of that trust compounds the issue at hand.

Listen, we've all made mistakes and dug holes that need not to have been made so deep. Nothing is new under the sun and pride, errors in judgement, greed, stupidity, etc., have been the foundation for public mistakes by many of us (hint: this is how we are able to recognize it when we see it). Looking at this whole mess from above, I don't see any malice here or anything shady - certainly no crime committed. What do see is a mistake that has rolled in to a village-crushing snowball. Of course, no village has been destroyed, and no real damage done. I know I don't speak for everyone here, but for me, I would be willing to put this to bed provided a detailed apology be published here and a consummation of the deal made. No doubt it'll be a heck of a band-aid to pull off, but better to let this wound heal in the open air with a few scars than to keep picking at the scab.

Doc Joe - " this may break the code of the ocean but this deal is nothing to do with any of us except those involved." Yep. I'm involved. I'm, crying foul. You have a different opinion, thanks for sharing, but apples and oranges with your analogy. The concern here is what is the status of the book? Does he have it in his hands? Perhaps he can provide a photo in front of a website from today to show current ownership.

Bro I know it should be your book, you want it and send a check, I just think people can change their mind if they want. I would equally defend your right to it but you have plenty of help there already...of course you are involved and I'm sorry it all went down this way.

Doc Joe - also, you know, you CAN stay away from the thread if you want. You are not involved in the transaction. My concern is with the seller, and in the unfortunate event he flipped it for a higher price after agreeing to sell to me, the final buyer. I do thank you for your time in participating in this spirited debate, but otherwise, don't feel compelled to play devil's advocate if it is causing you stress.

Doc Joe - also, you know, you CAN stay away from the thread if you want. You are not involved in the transaction. My concern is with the seller, and in the unfortunate event he flipped it for a higher price after agreeing to sell to me, the final buyer. I do thank you for your time in participating in this spirited debate, but otherwise, don't feel compelled to play devil's advocate if it is causing you stress.

He's not playing devil's advocate. I'm pretty sure he believes the nonsense he is saying. You will get the book or Jimbo can go on the Probation List and not be able to sell or buy on here very easily. I have a feeling that Doc Joe has ended up on some personal lists as well with his "arguments" on the subject.