• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Architecht said:

Hey all,

Just a quick note on a new feature.

I added a "kudos thread" field to the member profile. When you put a link to your kudos thread into that box, it will appears:

1. On your profile in the left hand columns
  2. Under your name in the block to the left of each of your posts

This has been requested in the past on the old boards, but we didn't have a good way to do it. The new boards makes it easy. It's also helpful since the default on the new boards for new members is for signatures to be turned off, so some people don't see that link in your signature. (No, I can't change that, or I probably would. I think signatures are cool).

Brilliant idea!

3 minutes ago, paperheart said:

quoting GPA for raw books is still a thing rantrant

It drives me crazy! I want to post on every thread I see when they do this "do you know that gpa is for slabbed books and not raw copies" but of course they know. It is just blatantly misleading.

1 hour ago, Bird said:
1 hour ago, paperheart said:

quoting GPA for raw books is still a thing rantrant

It drives me crazy! I want to post on every thread I see when they do this "do you know that gpa is for slabbed books and not raw copies" but of course they know. It is just blatantly misleading.

It makes you want to take a giant dump in those threads :sumo:

15 hours ago, Pitboss said:

It makes you want to take a giant dump in those threads :sumo:

Quoting it and using it as price point is what bothers me.  I don't mind the GPA reference but the price difference should be reflective of it would cost to be apples to apples, vis-a-vis the the slabbing/shipping fees and that is assuming the book grades to what the GPA reference was.  But the grading should be placed somewhat on the buyer as well by asking for more scans, richer description, guaranteeing return policy or even asking for time for grading if the buyer is inclined.   I like asking for all of that plus a certain period to fully examine the book once in hand and return if I disagree with the grade.  I move on if the seller and I cannot come to some agreeable terms such as this.

2 minutes ago, telerites said:

Quoting it and using it as price point is what bothers me.  I don't mind the GPA reference but the price difference should be reflective of it would cost to be apples to apples, vis-a-vis the the slabbing/shipping fees and that is assuming the book grades to what the GPA reference was.  But the grading should be placed somewhat on the buyer as well by asking for more scans, richer description, guaranteeing return policy or even asking for time for grading if the buyer is inclined.   I like asking for all of that plus a certain period to fully examine the book once in hand and return if I disagree with the grade.  I move on if the seller and I cannot come to some agreeable terms such as this.

I don't mind someone quoting gpa as long as it explicitly stated that GPA applies ONLY to slabbed copies, and not to raw copies.

With that being said, I don't think its 'threadkraping' to just politely post an explanation in someone's thread of what GPA is.

11 minutes ago, telerites said:

6 minutes ago, revat said:

I don't mind someone quoting gpa as long as it explicitly stated that GPA applies ONLY to slabbed copies, and not to raw copies.

With that being said, I don't think its 'threadkraping' to just politely post an explanation in someone's thread of what GPA is.

True, I had figured everyone would know GPA is only reflective of CGC slabbed prices but that is not the case.  

Hopefuly this is the right place to ask, I have runs of comics to sell, do y'all think it's better to list books individually for say $1, or put them in lots?  The latter would obviously be easier for me, but these are just the unimportant books, so someone might just need one to fill a hole.  I'm torn because listing a book for a dollar hardly seems worth the cost buyer would pay to ship, but if one is all someone needs...  Thoughts?

Edited by SteppinRazor

11 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

Hopefuly this is the right place to ask, I have runs of comics to sell, do y'all think it's better to list books individually for say $1, or put them in lots?  The latter would obviously be easier for me, but these are just the unimportant books, so someone might just need one to fill a hole.  I'm torn because listing a book for a dollar hardly seems worth the cost buyer would pay to ship, but if one is all someone needs...  Thoughts?

Depends on how much time you want to put into selling the books.  Listing them as sets will clear out a bunch of books but you will probably make a tad bit less then letting people grab certain issues.  For $1 books I'd keep them as a set since trying to sell random issues is tough and you could end up basically giving away a bunch of them if no one wants them.  And random $1 issues are a pain to sell on E-Bay but 10 issue runs of books are fairly easy to sell for $1 a piece.

19 hours ago, telerites said:

My only thought was to post  in the comments - "will you guarantee the CGC grades?" ---  so then the comparison and pricing can at least be relevant and committed to by the seller.

My understanding is that it was OK to comment in a sales thread of something is misleading or confusing. Quoting GPA on a raw book without further explanation fits that definition in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, wombat said:

My understanding is that it was OK to comment in a sales thread of something is misleading or confusing. Quoting GPA on a raw book without further explanation fits that definition in my opinion. 

I'm old school...no karping (including unwanted comments) in a sales thread unless they're not following the rules.  Even then, I will try to send them a pm.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, revat said:

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:56 PM, SteppinRazor said:

Not to change the subject, but are medium flat rate boxes the best deal for shipping more than say 10 comics?

sometimes, but depends on the distance

Depends if they are high grade and expensive. You can ship 10 books in a flat rate, but the packing will be minimal even if you put 2 books in one bag.

I hate the flat rate boxes and prefer to go with the Priority mailing boxes instead. The rate is reasonable just flat priority until you hit around 15 books or so then it becomes more expensive, but you can that box better.

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Depends if they are high grade and expensive. You can ship 10 books in a flat rate, but the packing will be minimal even if you put 2 books in one bag.

I hate the flat rate boxes and prefer to go with the Priority mailing boxes instead. The rate is reasonable just flat priority until you hit around 15 books or so then it becomes more expensive, but you can that box better.

Which box are you talking about?  The flat rate medium box I picked up to test from the post office holds 37 bagged and boarded comics with no padding, and 3 bundles of 5 in a cardboard sandwich with foam/bubblewrap.

2 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

Which box are you talking about?  The flat rate medium box I picked up to test from the post office holds 37 bagged and boarded comics with no padding, and 3 bundles of 5 in a cardboard sandwich with foam/bubblewrap.

2 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Which box are you talking about?  The flat rate medium box I picked up to test from the post office holds 37 bagged and boarded comics with no padding, and 3 bundles of 5 in a cardboard sandwich with foam/bubblewrap

You can order just plain Priority long boxes(I should have put long boxes in my first post.) and I think they will hold around 20-30 comfortably with some good cardboard. I don't use any bubble wrap I prefer to use more cardboard. Pad the bottom,top,and sides and you have a pretty good sandwich.

I believe I misread your post though. You are using the Med Flat rate long box? I thought you were talking about it the Dual-Use Priority Mail (Flat Rate)/Priority Mail box. (Its a larger box, but the length and width of the box is smaller and doesn't leave much room for protection.) Its the 11 in x 8-1/2 in x 5-1/2 in vs the long box Flat Rate is 11-7/8 in x 3-3/8 in x 13-5/8 which is longer.

What I meant earlier is I have found that several times just shipping in plain old Priority Long box is cheaper then shipping flat rate for say under 15 books that are well packed. It will run me $7-10 versus the flat rate box amount of around $13.60. I mass order the long boxes and get a few Med Flat long boxes for the occasional package that exceeds what I can fit in a Med Flat Long box.

8 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

You can order just plain Priority long boxes(I should have put long boxes in my first post.) and I think they will hold around 20-30 comfortably with some good cardboard. I don't use any bubble wrap I prefer to use more cardboard. Pad the bottom,top,and sides and you have a pretty good sandwich.

I believe I misread your post though. You are using the Med Flat rate long box? I thought you were talking about it the Dual-Use Priority Mail (Flat Rate)/Priority Mail box. (Its a larger box, but the length and width of the box is smaller and doesn't leave much room for protection.) Its the 11 in x 8-1/2 in x 5-1/2 in vs the long box Flat Rate is 11-7/8 in x 3-3/8 in x 13-5/8 which is longer.

What I meant earlier is I have found that several times just shipping in plain old Priority Long box is cheaper then shipping flat rate for say under 15 books that are well packed. It will run me $7-10 versus the flat rate box amount of around $13.60. I mass order the long boxes and get a few Med Flat long boxes for the occasional package that exceeds what I can fit in a Med Flat Long box.

Are the plain priority boxes not flat rate?  I take it they aren't free

I got the 11 x 8 1/2 x 5 1/2.  For my submissions, I wrapped the 5 comic bundles with 1/8" foam (for packaging dishes), then the cardboard.  I was also able to stuff a sheet of the foam around the edges once in the box.  You're right, it's a tight fit, and the cardboard on the tops and bottoms isn't a whole lot bigger than the comics.

I'm surprised the weight of the cardboard doesn't push your smaller count packages to close to the flat rate.  In any case, I haven't been too successful selling lots, so it might be a moot point :p

1 hour ago, SteppinRazor said:

Are the plain priority boxes not flat rate?  I take it they aren't free

I got the 11 x 8 1/2 x 5 1/2.  For my submissions, I wrapped the 5 comic bundles with 1/8" foam (for packaging dishes), then the cardboard.  I was also able to stuff a sheet of the foam around the edges once in the box.  You're right, it's a tight fit, and the cardboard on the tops and bottoms isn't a whole lot bigger than the comics.

I'm surprised the weight of the cardboard doesn't push your smaller count packages to close to the flat rate.  In any case, I haven't been too successful selling lots, so it might be a moot point :p

Yeah they are free you have to order them from USPS like everything else. I have just had those beat to hell when I send them to Europe so quit using that package. I give international buyers a  couple of options past the normal envelope flat rate and go from there.

I was surprised too the first few times I did it. About 3lbs is where it starts to get close to being better to ship flat rate priority. Anything under that it is cheaper to just ship regular priority long box. I found this out the hard way during one of my sales threads last year. I had a couple buyers who bought so many books I couldn't fit them in flat rate box so I had to ship normal priority or they wanted Priority because they were high grade books(Didn't want flat rate envelope), but were only buying like 10-15 so it was cheaper normal priority.