• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

On 30/5/2017 at 4:54 AM, thehumantorch said:
On 30/5/2017 at 4:50 AM, Pitboss said:

This "No Returns" carp is getting old :p

Threads I immediately click out of.  If you won't stand behind your product I'm not gonna stand under it.

I usually state so in my threads because it wouldn’t be handy from here, especially for small amounts. But of course, I state I am willing to work with the buyer if I described the book(s) not enough well or if there are problems. :)

20 minutes ago, vaillant said:

I usually state so in my threads because it wouldn’t be handy from here, especially for small amounts. But of course, I state I am willing to work with the buyer if I described the book(s) not enough well or if there are problems. :)

That's a lot better than 'you're stuck with it'...

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:
22 minutes ago, vaillant said:

That's a lot better than 'you're stuck with it'...

Buyers love me. Well, mostly… :D

I don't understand why sellers post links to pictures on other websites still.  Don't pictures automatically load now?  Isn't it MORE work to display as a link now?  Anyone who is interested in the buying will want to see the comics anyways, so you might as well post them, and anyone who's not interested wouldn't be bothered by the pics.

The only thing you lose out on are people who might otherwise have been interested but don't want to click through to some unknown website, and people who might have been interested if there was a picture to look at when they opened the thread (oh hey, cool cover! oh hey, those colors are soooo rich! oh hey, I love that comic when I was a kid but totally forgot about it!).

I don't see the downside of posting the pictures of books.  I can see that there are some sellers who LOVE to provide multiple pics, especially on older books.  Maybe post your top 3-4 pics then have links for the rest to not clutter your thread.  But I don't think anyone is losing buyers because they show pictures of the books they are selling, but I know they lose some buyers (like me) by not showing any pics (even if they provide links). 

On a semi related note, generally don't prefer listing like 100 books in one post.  It makes it very hard to sort through to me, but I guess it can save time in some ways, though I don't think'd it take THAT much more time to separate into separate posts, or at most posts of like 5-10 books per post.  And I think it makes it easier for people to overlook some of the cooler books in the middle of the massive post.  I think the bulk of time would still be attributed to scanning and grading and pricing, the marginal, even for individual books (or small groupings) I don't think is very high relative to the trouble caused to the customer, at least IMO.

Obviously everyone does things for their own reasons, but I guess I don't think customers are likely to be TURNED OFF by threads that post a few books per post with pics and prices in those posts, vs other variations which some (maybe not too many in some cases) people might be turned off.

3 hours ago, revat said:

I don't understand why sellers post links to pictures on other websites still.  Don't pictures automatically load now?  Isn't it MORE work to display as a link now?  Anyone who is interested in the buying will want to see the comics anyways, so you might as well post them, and anyone who's not interested wouldn't be bothered by the pics.

The only thing you lose out on are people who might otherwise have been interested but don't want to click through to some unknown website, and people who might have been interested if there was a picture to look at when they opened the thread (oh hey, cool cover! oh hey, those colors are soooo rich! oh hey, I love that comic when I was a kid but totally forgot about it!).

I don't see the downside of posting the pictures of books.  I can see that there are some sellers who LOVE to provide multiple pics, especially on older books.  Maybe post your top 3-4 pics then have links for the rest to not clutter your thread.  But I don't think anyone is losing buyers because they show pictures of the books they are selling, but I know they lose some buyers (like me) by not showing any pics (even if they provide links). 

On a semi related note, generally don't prefer listing like 100 books in one post.  It makes it very hard to sort through to me, but I guess it can save time in some ways, though I don't think'd it take THAT much more time to separate into separate posts, or at most posts of like 5-10 books per post.  And I think it makes it easier for people to overlook some of the cooler books in the middle of the massive post.  I think the bulk of time would still be attributed to scanning and grading and pricing, the marginal, even for individual books (or small groupings) I don't think is very high relative to the trouble caused to the customer, at least IMO.

Obviously everyone does things for their own reasons, but I guess I don't think customers are likely to be TURNED OFF by threads that post a few books per post with pics and prices in those posts, vs other variations which some (maybe not too many in some cases) people might be turned off.

I always post images by using the insert image from URL.  I don't have my files saved on my PC so just much easier to use that option.  There are two options to inset media that I know of for the new boards - insert from an existing attachment which you have uploaded here or the one to insert media from URL.

Granted, I don't have any sales threads nor have I in years but the posting images from a location that I have already uploaded and saved them to is just much easier for me.

19 minutes ago, telerites said:
3 hours ago, revat said:

I always post images by using the insert image from URL.  I don't have my files saved on my PC so just much easier to use that option.  There are two options to inset media that I know of for the new boards - insert from an existing attachment which you have uploaded here or the one to insert media from URL.

Granted, I don't have any sales threads nor have I in years but the posting images from a location that I have already uploaded and saved them to is just much easier for me.

this makes total sense, and I think now you might be able to actually do it even easier.  If you just paste the link, it automatically shows the pic (in most cases, I think), don't even have to click the 'insert attachment' button.  My question is why people post JUST the hyperlink, and not the actual picture.  The work to upload has already been done.  Why not reap the maximum chance at reward?

19 minutes ago, revat said:

this makes total sense, and I think now you might be able to actually do it even easier.  If you just paste the link, it automatically shows the pic (in most cases, I think), don't even have to click the 'insert attachment' button.  My question is why people post JUST the hyperlink, and not the actual picture.  The work to upload has already been done.  Why not reap the maximum chance at reward?

Yeah I found out about pasting the link and clicking enter by chance and does save a step or two.  And yes if a seller just posts a link, I agree why wouldn't they save the buyer some time and just show the image.  (thumbsu

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, revat said:

Load time can still be a factor for some I would say. I use thumb nails on cheaper or lower grade books and only go large scans on NM or better or high dollar books. I prefer 4 books to a post as long as I am using small to medium thumbnails.

If I am selling a nice raw NM+ book then I am going with large scans front and back covers. Its a balance for me because I want to be able to let everyone see the books, but at the same time not alienate buyers who have slower load times.

Imgur has really worked well for me. I could post them in my FTP web space as well, but I prefer the luxury of different sized thumbnails. I think you can even do different sizes here too, but I have forgotten how to do it. I can only post one size currently. When I get some more time I will read up on changing the sizes here.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, thehumantorch said:

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:50 PM, Pitboss said:

Threads I immediately click out of.  If you won't stand behind your product I'm not gonna stand under it.

Really for those thinking about not doing it kills your sells. I think I have been doing returns for around 5 year here now and I think I have had one return and darned if I could figure out what was wrong with the two books the buyer returned. I sold both a few weeks later in same grade.

What it also does is tell you how good a grader you are and if your packing is good enough. If you can get along with all the OCD buyers here then ebay is a piece of cake. There are a lot of buyers who don't participate at all on these boards. They only buy. When you put up any sort of red flag I can guarantee you they will pass that seller by.

What is nice is if the buyer when they return it tell you why. I had a buyer on here around 10 years ago bought 50 books from and gave me a detail report on the books and grades. He said I was off on 7 books out of 50 by a quarter of a grade.(VF+ was VF) What they suggested politely was that I pay more attention to the back cover and I have done so every since. I took it constructively.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 2017-05-29 at 8:50 PM, Pitboss said:

Agreed. If I can't return a raw book that's a problem. I just boycotted a sales thread because of it.

3 hours ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:

What do we do about sellers remorse ...? I bought a book .. and  I get a message the next day .. sorry I've decided not to sell it at this price .. Ive decided to keep it and going to  get it pressed and slabbed ... 

So you posted the :takeit:in the sales thread at the price the seller listed or came to terms with agreement by you and the seller in a PM and then were told, they were not selling it?  

I would have to see the full conversation both ways or the actual :takeit: in the thread but if this was the case, certainly seems like seller's remorse and could be PL worthy.

2 minutes ago, telerites said:

So you posted the :takeit:in the sales thread at the price the seller listed or came to terms with agreement by you and the seller in a PM and then were told, they were not selling it?  

I would have to see the full conversation both ways or the actual :takeit: in the thread but if this was the case, certainly seems like seller's remorse and could be PL worthy.

Exactly what happened 

13 minutes ago, telerites said:

10 minutes ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Exactly what happened 

Well, Paddy, not too hard to figure out which thread this was.  It almost seemed like he missed your take it post since he quoted the take its from another buyer.  Seems pretty cut and dry unless there were some post take it PMs in which you attempted to modify the terms (which I doubt happened).