• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

On 1/18/2022 at 10:31 AM, CGC Mike said:

It's not ok to ask for paypal personal even in a PM.  

It seems I can't 'like' your post, but I can still "report' you.

Interesting what is disabled and what is notlol

Edited by NP_Gresham

On 1/18/2022 at 1:28 PM, HighRadArt said:

Not to point fingers but why do I keep getting pms from sellers  asking for paypal personal?  "It's okay if you don't but preferred". 

:eek:

Yikes. Probably trying to avoid getting a 1099 due to the threshold being lowered to $600/year. Can’t say I didn’t see this coming. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 1/18/2022 at 10:17 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Yikes. Probably trying to avoid getting a 1099 due to the threshold being lowered to $600/year. Can’t say I didn’t see this coming. 

I had someone ask me for F&F last year after I claimed a book in their thread.  This individual runs long threads all the time.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:53 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I had someone ask me for F&F last year after I claimed a book in their thread.  This individual runs long threads all the time.

Don't leave us in suspense! :popcorn:

On 1/19/2022 at 7:53 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I dont blame him at all, but too many F&F/personal and you bring undo attention on oneself.

I know the seller and I would have no cause to question if he would send the books, but because of the the attention my own account would get, I just make the Goods and services payment and leave it at that.  It's never a problem with him, he never insists and he is very reliable, not trying to pull anything.  I buy from him a lot, great seller.

Does 'checks and MO only' affect sales? Is this a reliable option?

Edited by NP_Gresham

On 1/20/2022 at 2:16 PM, NP_Gresham said:

I dont blame him at all, but too many F&F/personal and you bring undo attention on oneself.

I know the seller and I would have no cause question if he would send the books, but because of the the attention my own account would get, I just make the Goods and services payment and leave it at that.  It's never a problem with him, he never insists and he is very reliable, not trying to pull anything.  I buy from him a lot, great seller.

Don’t get me wrong, I certainly was not calling his integrity into question or anything.  I know this person has been selling here a long time.  Just makes me wonder how often this happens with sellers here in general.  But honestly, in this instance, it was fine.  

However, it would aggravate me if it was someone I didn’t know, I claimed a book and then received a PM asking for F&F.

On 1/20/2022 at 4:50 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

However, it would aggravate me if it was someone I didn’t know, I claimed a book and then received a PM asking for F&F.

Nancy Reagan once asked me for F&F, I just said NO!

Just say No. "I only pay G&S"

I used to appreciate when people sent payment F&F, I am not a dealer and love avoiding fees. But it is just a problem using it so I no longer like it (besides, I do appreciate the service so paying is fine).

On larger books I am only going to do this moving forward. People existed long before electronic payment. I don't need a giant 1099, not because I am trying to avoid taxes but when paying taxes I will itemize my own books and not have to a fight against 1099s.

Edited by Bird

Was the Horror/Sci-Fi laserdisc thread in Mixed removed because those type of items are no longer allowed to be sold here or because of some other posting violation?

Asking because I’m sold DVDs and Blu-rays in Mixed before and was thinking about selling some more but if those items are now forbidden I’ll have to move them elsewhere. 

Edited by Number 6

• Administrator
On 1/22/2022 at 10:26 AM, Number 6 said:

Was the Horror/Sci-Fi laserdisc thread in Mixed removed because those type of items are no longer allowed to be sold here or because of some other posting violation?

Asking because I’m sold DVDs and Blu-rays in Mixed before and was thinking about selling some more but if those items are now forbidden I’ll have to move them elsewhere. 

There was too many non comic related items.  

On 1/19/2022 at 5:28 AM, HighRadArt said:

Not to point fingers but why do I keep getting pms from sellers  asking for paypal personal?  "It's okay if you don't but preferred". 

Wait until you start getting unsolicited emails to your paypal address from a boardie trying to sell books.

Guess he must need more tin foil.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:53 PM, wombat said:

I'm sure people will debate this, but some would call this stealing from paypal. 

I’m sure they would and I suppose they would be correct.

Edited by DocHoppus182
Continued a thought.

On 12/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, NP_Gresham said:

I guess if you can’t grade, just add ‘solid’ before each over-graded book.

Gets you one sale at least, until you eventually reach everyone. Now everyone knows you can’t grade for sh*t

Or catch restoration. a 3.0 is not what it used to be....

I know the seller and I would have no cause to question if he would send the books, but because of the the attention my own account would get, I just make the Goods and services payment and leave it at that.  It's never a problem with him, he never insists and he is very reliable, not trying to pull anything.  I buy from him a lot, great seller.

I notice that lately Paypal will draw only from my linked account if using F&F, not directly from my Paypal balance. I used to insist on G&S, but over the last year or so, Paypal has refused to reverse charges several times when I made a typo and the payment went to the wrong person. Let's just say, my concern for their wellbeing isn't what it once was. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/18/2022 at 9:17 PM, awakeintheashes said:
On 1/18/2022 at 12:28 PM, HighRadArt said:

Edited January 18 by awakeintheashes

Thats exactly why. IG is full of sellers trying this method. I can't wait for PP to slam the door on it completely. 

On 1/20/2022 at 3:50 PM, DocHoppus182 said:
On 1/20/2022 at 1:16 PM, NP_Gresham said:

I know the seller and I would have no cause question if he would send the books, but because of the the attention my own account would get, I just make the Goods and services payment and leave it at that.  It's never a problem with him, he never insists and he is very reliable, not trying to pull anything.  I buy from him a lot, great seller.

Don’t get me wrong, I certainly was not calling his integrity into question or anything.  I know this person has been selling here a long time.  Just makes me wonder how often this happens with sellers here in general.  But honestly, in this instance, it was fine.  

How a person pays me is up to them. I take all the basic forms. 
I pay taxes on my sales so it's a moot matter to me. Actually F&F is a bigger pain when the buyer
forgets to send me his address or doesn't put it in a memo. I have the package ready and can't ship because I don't know an address.

Watching the threads on FB about getting paypal accounts locked many times (not all) are simply related to abusing F&F.  Some sellers fled to Venmo (which paypal owns BTW), cashapp and others, but there are not many places to run anymore left. Pay your taxes, get audited or try to sell at flea markets and cons. About your only choices left. I look forward to lower competition. 

I bet comics shops love this too as it evens the play field some.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 2/3/2022 at 10:32 PM, Comical21 said:

What is the difference between asking for F&F and check/MO?  Both have no recourse for the buyer, right?  I've seen many sellers ask for check/MO, especially with bigger books.

You can stop payment or reverse charges on a check with a charge of fraud or non delivery (Mail Fraud is a Felony) and you can use the M.O. receipt as grounds for a civil suit for the same charges. The unacceptability of F&F only policy is that CGC doesn't wish to be liable for facilitating a fraud against a huge corporation, which F&F for goods and services would be. Me ? I stick to folks here with proven track records.... if one of them asked me to send cash, I likely would. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu