• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

IMO the first indication was the sales invoice. The buyer clearly stated 9.8, not whatever grade comes back. If this was not what the seller meant, then I think it would have been best if the buyer's expectations were adjusted at that point, or his payment returned.

I'm a little concerned about the president this sets though.

When a buyer pays me via PayPal I never actually open the payment e-mail I receive and read it. I just see the e-mail in my In Box, know that payment has been made, and begin preping the item for shipment. I would assume many sellers, if not most, do thee same.

But the above makes it sounds like the seller, by accepting the PayPal payment, binds himself to whatever conditions the buyer stipulates in the comment section. In effect, the payment becomes part of the transaction negotiations.

So is it incumbent on the seller to open and read those payment e-mail to make sure the buyer hasn't unilaterally changed the terms of the transaction?

Not commenting on this specific situation so much as asking in a general sense.

I suppose anything is permitted provided its mutually agreed upon. Certainly one party cannot unilaterally change a deal after payment.

My concern with this particular case is that I'm still not yet clear on whether the 9.8 was assumed by the buyer, or indeed at some prior time promised or implied by the seller. I know the seller denies this, but if there is clear evidence to the contrary, that the seller positively promised a 9.8, where is it?

Buyers original post addresses this.

Is it right to assume that the CGC pre-sale grade should be a CGC 9.8 even if it is not stated in the ad specifically?

IMO the first indication was the sales invoice. The buyer clearly stated 9.8, not whatever grade comes back. If this was not what the seller meant, then I think it would have been best if the buyer's expectations were adjusted at that point, or his payment returned.

When a buyer pays me via PayPal I never actually open the payment e-mail I receive and read it. I just see the e-mail in my In Box, know that payment has been made, and begin preping the item for shipment. I would assume many sellers, if not most, do thee same.

But the above makes it sounds like the seller, by accepting the PayPal payment, binds himself to whatever conditions the buyer stipulates in the comment section. In effect, the payment becomes part of the transaction negotiations.

So is it incumbent on the seller to open and read those payment e-mail to make sure the buyer hasn't unilaterally changed the terms of the transaction?

I suppose anything is permitted provided its mutually agreed upon. Certainly one party cannot unilaterally change a deal after payment.

My concern with this particular case is that I'm still not yet clear on whether the 9.8 was assumed by the buyer, or indeed at some prior time promised or implied by the seller. I know the seller denies this, but if there is clear evidence to the contrary, that the seller positively promised a 9.8, where is it?

Buyers original post addresses this.

Is it right to assume that the CGC pre-sale grade should be a CGC 9.8 even if it is not stated in the ad specifically?

Many thanks for posting this. That answers my question.

Hey is there anyone that bought from "Venom" still NOT receive their comics? I sent payment on Oct 22. Waited between 2-3 weeks and still nothing arrived. Messaged him on Nov 11 and was responded on Nov 12 stating a tracking will be given but no tracking was given and no contact since then. About to fill up a dispute and give him another day or so then escalate to claim. I know he has abit of positive feedback here and sold a bunch, anyone know what's going on?

Wanted to bump this since it got lost in the Adonis fiasco. I can't remember if I bought from the same thread as you but I paid for my two Spiderverse # 2's on Nov 4th and they arrived fairly quickly. Hopefully you get yours soon. :(

. Anyone heard from Venom since 11/12? My PMs have gone unread.

I sent him a invoice on a purchase he made but have not heard anything from him. Hopefully everything is good with him.

Edited by Shadow Images

Leave the president out of this. :preach:

Leave the president out of this. :preach:

I screwed up a quote AND I let auto-correct get the best of me. :facepalm:

In regards to my original post:

I have a question that I hope someone(s) would be able to give me insight on.

When listing CGC graded pre-sales, or items for sale that are being made available from the conventions etc. Is it right to assume that the CGC pre-sale grade should be a CGC 9.8 even if it is not stated in the ad specifically?

I ask this because I would like to make sure other board members do not get burned, disappointed, or taken advantage of because their expectations are to receive a 9.8 graded book if the ad or sales thread doesn't say specifically. A similar situation just happened to be me, and I would hate to have it happen to someone else.

I would also ask that maybe we should make it mandatory that a grade expectation is listed for CGC pre-sales? For example: Seller(s) should post "No grade assigned" or minimum 9.8...

Thoughts anyone?

I would like to add this issue was resolved. And I am happy with the end result.

A-DONIS and I talked through the resolution, I was refunded my money and also kept the book. I thought this was fair and equitable seeing that I was under the belief that I was going to receive a 9.8 CGC graded book but got a 9.6. The refund along with the value of the 9.6 CGC SS book to me was a fair end result.

Having said all that, I would like to get back to the original point that I still hope, going forward with "presales" in general, that we can reach some sort of consensus that as buyers and sellers we should be able expect a minimum CGC 9.8 and that the sellers are going to give us a 9.8 CGC graded copy unless specifically stated otherwise or previously agreed upon for whatever reason.

Sincerely,

Justin Tnic Otyme

I would like to add this issue was resolved. And I am happy with the end result.

A-DONIS and I talked through the resolution, I was refunded my money and also kept the book. I thought this was fair and equitable seeing that I was under the belief that I was going to receive a 9.8 CGC graded book but got a 9.6. The refund along with the value of the 9.6 CGC SS book to me was a fair end result.

Having said all that, I would like to get back to the original point that I still hope, going forward with "presales" in general, that we can reach some sort of consensus that as buyers and sellers we should be able expect a minimum CGC 9.8 and that the sellers are going to give us a 9.8 CGC graded copy unless specifically stated otherwise or previously agreed upon for whatever reason.

Sincerely,

Justin Tnic Otyme

I imagine you are happy, yes. You got a free CGC 9.6 comic book.

In regards to my original post:

I have a question that I hope someone(s) would be able to give me insight on.

When listing CGC graded pre-sales, or items for sale that are being made available from the conventions etc. Is it right to assume that the CGC pre-sale grade should be a CGC 9.8 even if it is not stated in the ad specifically?

I ask this because I would like to make sure other board members do not get burned, disappointed, or taken advantage of because their expectations are to receive a 9.8 graded book if the ad or sales thread doesn't say specifically. A similar situation just happened to be me, and I would hate to have it happen to someone else.

I would also ask that maybe we should make it mandatory that a grade expectation is listed for CGC pre-sales? For example: Seller(s) should post "No grade assigned" or minimum 9.8...

Thoughts anyone?

Sincerely,

Justin Tnic Otyme

I asked Arch to make a change in the rules here.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8183809#Post8183809

A refund of money and you kept the book? :o Adonis stepped up big time. I imagine anyone would be happy with that. I think I would feel guilty actually. lol

[font:Book Antiqua]

IMHO...

The refund was the right thing to do.

You Keeping the SS book not so much...

[/font]

2c

:golfclap:

Two wrongs don't make a right. Buyer should return the item as well. Buyer did "assume" the grade would be 9.8. Seller never stated it would be. Granted the seller's communication should be better...the buyer "assumed". They were both wrong.

Just because the buyer puts in the note that the comic is a CGC 9.8 doesn't make it valid. The seller's paypal account automatically accepts the payment. The seller never stated the grade (and he should have) and he should have communicated better/faster once he found out the buyer "assumed" he was getting a CGC 9.8.

Edited by John91C

[font:Book Antiqua]

IMHO...

The refund was the right thing to do.

You Keeping the SS book not so much...

[/font]

2c

:golfclap:

Two wrongs don't make a right. Buyer should return the item as well. Buyer did "assume" the grade would be 9.8. Seller never stated it would be. Granted the seller's communication should be better...the buyer "assumed". They were both wrong.

Just because the buyer puts in the note that the comic is a CGC 9.8 doesn't make it valid. The seller's paypal account automatically accepts the payment. The seller never stated the grade (and he should have) and he should have communicated better/faster once he found out the buyer "assumed" he was getting a CGC 9.8.

To keep the book and take the refund is poor form, and as far as I'm concerned, pretty ridiculous. A-Donis made mistakes with his thread, but he ends up looking like the bigger person in the end. You should have just sold the 9.6; taken your profit, and chalked it up as a learning experience that you should always verify what you're buying. A learning experience where you actually made money. My 2 cents.

Instead of just getting a free 9.6 out of all this, how about just send the book in to get pressed? Is the book not close enough to be a 9.8? Adonis pays for the pressing fees and maybe the buyer gets the 9.8 that was assumed.