• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

So are we asking all dealers to state what they paid for the book when they go to sell it.

No, but his clever posting of GPA figures of lower grades that sold for higher amounts to provide evidence that his price is accurate when he JUST paid significantly less last night is meh

No they have a lot more sources than that. Metro/CC reports, but I have seen as much as a several week delay, and I've heard (although don't know for sure) that the reporting may be selective

That said I would expect the sale to hit GPA within a couple of weeks; definitely not before this week's auction is over

So are we asking all dealers to state what they paid for the book when they go to sell it.

No, but his clever posting of GPA figures of lower grades that sold for higher amounts to provide evidence that his price is accurate when he JUST paid significantly less last night is meh

As I said it happens all the time; probably just not a great idea to list it in a forum where he could be so easily called out.

Many times you see an auction item close and a few weeks later it's on a dealer's site at 150% markup.

I think it would be cool for people to wait the same amount of time to flip they would to date a good friend's ex

No.

I think we're asking for the following (among other things, but staying on point...): if one chooses to provide market data that is allegedly representative of the comic's value, don't cherry pick...provide all the representative data of which one is aware (which would certainly include the value paid in an auction the day before). Otherwise, just shut up and list the asking price.

Edited by edowens71

No.

I think we're asking for the following (among other things, but staying on point...): if one chooses to provide market data that is allegedly representative of the comic's value, don't cherry pick...provide all the representative data of which one is aware (which would certainly include the value paid in an auction the day before). Otherwise, just shut up and list the asking price.

Exactly

No.

Exactly

I am not disagreeing just saying that anyone that knows anything (which is most of us on here) about GPA is that it is very selective. Should we exclude data because a book (we watched) was over graded and had poor eye appeal sell for 20% below FMV or should we say hey this book was just sold by Dealer X with a great rep so know its a legit sale for 40% above FMV. It wasn't a direct quote saying GPA average is ABC it was simply stating I think my price is fair for the sale on this book back in may. The thread krapping isn't cool regardless of if you watched it sell for below his asking price last night.

No.

Exactly

I am not disagreeing just saying that anyone that knows anything (which is most of us on here) about GPA is that it is very selective. Should we exclude data because a book (we watched) was over graded and had poor eye appeal sell for 20% below FMV or should we say hey this book was just sold by Dealer X with a great rep so know its a legit sale for 40% above FMV. It wasn't a direct quote saying GPA average is ABC it was simply stating I think my price is fair for the sale on this book back in may.

The thread krapping isn't cool regardless of if you watched it sell for below his asking price last night.

[font:Book Antiqua]+ 1[/font]

(tsk)

No.

Exactly

I am not disagreeing just saying that anyone that knows anything (which is most of us on here) about GPA is that it is very selective. Should we exclude data because a book (we watched) was over graded and had poor eye appeal sell for 20% below FMV or should we say hey this book was just sold by Dealer X with a great rep so know its a legit sale for 40% above FMV. It wasn't a direct quote saying GPA average is ABC it was simply stating I think my price is fair for the sale on this book back in may.

The thread krapping isn't cool regardless of if you watched it sell for below his asking price last night.

[font:Book Antiqua]+ 1[/font]

(tsk)

Is it really a sales thread or just some pirate gloating? Who does this? Why do this? This book is a month away from being in hand. Likely the new owner say a few people post that the book is their Grail and figured he'd make a go of it. Talk about a slick move, what a dummy.

What happens if someone :takeit: today? If Comic Connect did delay for a significant period of time, wouldn't this entitle the buyer to nominate the seller for the Probation List after 30 days? hm

That is an additional doochie mcdooche a lot move on the seller's part failing to mention that he doesn't have this in hand. :facepalm:

What happens if someone :takeit: today? If Comic Connect did delay for a significant period of time, wouldn't this entitle the buyer to nominate the seller for the Probation List after 30 days? hm

That is an additional doochie mcdooche a lot move on the seller's part failing to mention that he doesn't have this in hand. :facepalm:

Come on now, talk about the number of pre-sales, exclusives, "coming back" from cgc sales etc all of that falls under the same as this. Lets continue to find another thread which has much worse interest then putting a price for a scarce GA book that ppls want and has a verified sale in lower grade to justify his pricing.

Come on now, talk about the number of pre-sales, exclusives, "coming back" from cgc sales etc all of that falls under the same as this. Lets continue to find another thread which has much worse interest then putting a price for a scarce GA book that ppls want and has a verified sale in lower grade to justify his pricing.

The difference is that with all of those books it is stated up front that they are not in hand.

Stupid question, is there any way we could even know if he was the high bidder? I mean someone earlier mentioned the possibility of this being a "hey I saw people were looking for this" kind of thread. Very small pool of people on here who can throw down 20k on a book, so maybe he posted it as a joke, assuming people would just say "nice book" etc and move on and not actually have to worry about selling the book.

The difference is that with all of those books it is stated up front that they are not in hand.

Not always.

This is the difference! In all of those other sales, it's made clear by the seller that it's a pre-sale, "coming back" from CGC, etc.

In this case, wouldn't you assume that he has the book in hand and ready to be shipped out based on his sales thread? :baiting:

I'm not too sure why anyone should be that upset. He bought it for $16200 and is asking $19000. Okay, so what?

It's his sales thread and people are cr@pping in it. Is that cool?

As far as the sales data that he provided, it's nice to see all of the GPA data to get a feel for the book, but some books just don't have much as far as recorded sales to really have a sense. As this is a scarcer, desirable book, I don't think his asking price is unattainable at all.

Should he have to disclose that he bought it the night before and for $16200? IMHO, absolutely not.

This is the difference! In all of those other sales, it's made clear by the seller that it's a pre-sale, "coming back" from CGC, etc.

In this case, wouldn't you assume that he has the book in hand and ready to be shipped out based on his sales thread? :baiting:

So first it was "misquoting" GPA which he isn't, then it was "rubbing ppls nose in a book" which he can ask any price for a book. I know of several dealers who have won books on HA and listed it for 3x what they paid. To the book isn't in hand (which a number of other sellers do on a regular "flip" basis) just don't get caught. Maybe next we can find a spelling mistake in the listing.

I'm not too sure why anyone should be that upset. He bought it for $16200 and is asking $19000. Okay, so what?

It's his sales thread and people are cr@pping in it. Is that cool?

As far as the sales data that he provided, it's nice to see all of the GPA data to get a feel for the book, but some books just don't have much as far as recorded sales to really have a sense. As this is a scarcer, desirable book, I don't think his asking price is unattainable at all.

Should he have to disclose that he bought it the night before and for $16200? IMHO, absolutely not.

Exactly this. There is only 1 sale in all of 2014 (excluding his) for a book in similar grade...which is guess what the 3.5. He posted a link to it and said here is a similar book have at it. He didn't strong arm anyone to purchase the book at his price, nor did he "manipulate sales". This is no different than saying hey I saw a NM 98 cgc 9.8 sell for 1k the other day on ebay here is the link. Mine is only 950 shipped.