• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I'm not too sure why anyone should be that upset. He bought it for $16200 and is asking $19000. Okay, so what?

It's his sales thread and people are cr@pping in it. Is that cool?

As far as the sales data that he provided, it's nice to see all of the GPA data to get a feel for the book, but some books just don't have much as far as recorded sales to really have a sense. As this is a scarcer, desirable book, I don't think his asking price is unattainable at all.

Should he have to disclose that he bought it the night before and for $16200? IMHO, absolutely not.

Exactly this. There is only 1 sale in all of 2014 (excluding his) for a book in similar grade...which is guess what the 3.5. He posted a link to it and said here is a similar book have at it. He didn't strong arm anyone to purchase the book at his price, nor did he "manipulate sales". This is no different than saying hey I saw a NM 98 cgc 9.8 sell for 1k the other day on ebay here is the link. Mine is only 950 shipped.

I'm in a bit of agreement here. Is it the most transparent thread, no. But certainly there have been worse offenders and not a word was said. He should disclose the book is not in hand but we are definitely making a bigger deal than necessary.

I'm not too sure why anyone should be that upset. He bought it for $16200 and is asking $19000. Okay, so what?

As far as the sales data that he provided, it's nice to see all of the GPA data to get a feel for the book, but some books just don't have much as far as recorded sales to really have a sense. As this is a scarcer, desirable book, I don't think his asking price is unattainable at all.

Should he have to disclose that he bought it the night before and for $16200? IMHO, absolutely not.

Exactly this. There is only 1 sale in all of 2014 (excluding his) for a book in similar grade...which is guess what the 3.5. He posted a link to it and said here is a similar book have at it. He didn't strong arm anyone to purchase the book at his price, nor did he "manipulate sales". This is no different than saying hey I saw a NM 98 cgc 9.8 sell for 1k the other day on ebay here is the link. Mine is only 950 shipped.

I think you are missing the general concern. It's not actually the price at all. It's the fact that the book was a highlight in a well advertised auction from a notable auctioneer. Only hours later does it appear for sale here on the boards and who knows where else. Is it against the board rules to ask questions before sending someone 19k? For all we know the scans could have simply been ripped and it's obvious to some of us that can clearly see what exactly is going down. The seller is playing it without letting on that the book remains CC and quite frankly these details just need to be brought to light IMO. Again the price is not a big a deal as the play for the sale.

I think you are missing the general concern. It's not actually the price at all. It's the fact that the book was a highlight in a well advertised auction from a notable auctioneer. Only hours later does it appear for sale here on the boards and who knows where else. Is it against the board rules to ask questions before sending someone 19k? For all we know the scans could have simply been ripped and it's obvious to some of us that can clearly see what exactly is going down. The seller is playing it without letting on that the book remains CC and quite frankly these details just need to be brought to light IMO. Again the price is not a big a deal as the play for the sale.

"Playing on air" comes to mind in the world of playing pool. You "play on air" and lose, depending on what kind of bar you are at, it could mean an asskicking. Regardless of the hobby or business endeavor - selling, wagering or representing something you don't have is not an acceptable practice that people are usually 'ok' with.

He bought a book last night.

And put it for sale today.

How is that different from what half the dealers here?

I think people are taking issue with not having it in-hand. And judging by all the problems we've had lately with books being sold by dealers who don't have them in-hand and the problems that can arise - I think people are probably thinking that sellers should have the book they are selling. Even more so when it's got a big price tag attached.

"Playing on air" comes to mind in the world of playing pool. You "play on air" and lose, depending on what kind of bar you are at, it could mean an asskicking. Regardless of the hobby or business endeavor - selling, wagering or representing something you don't have is not an acceptable practice that people are usually 'ok' with.

Except on Wall St. (where margin buying is a mainstay) :)

Its all good when I sell books and state that I got books coming from Cgc, I got the grades, tracking, etc. I spell it out for you. But 19k is a nice chunk and just hours ago the same book sold on CC. I got a few questions and not about price. Edited by Junkdrawer

Except on Wall St. (where margin buying is a mainstay) :)

Yeah, no kidding.

Based on the sellers original sales message...he didn't say a word about not having the book in hand or just buying it less than 24 hours ago. For such an expensive comic, I agree he should have spelled it out.

With that said, I don;t think the seller did anything wrong in listing it here for sale. In fact, for such an awesome book...it's cool it's offered for sale here.

1. It's a very expensive book, and he's fairly new to the boards, and hasn't showed references for selling.

2. He hasn't answered at whether or not it has been paid for on the CC auction. (this is important)

3. Rubbing the great buy in Bill's face wasn't cool.

There's zero concern if this guy hasn't even PAID for the book yet? (shrug)

We're not talking about a few hundred bucks here... it's a $16,000 book! I know that's not much to some, but it's a LOT of money to many.

Additionally, this isn't a long standing member with plenty of transactions. It's a member who has been here less than a year with very minimal posts.

There is zero concern that this guy could be the high bidder of a book and before paying, immediately try to sell it for a higher markup. Isn't that drop shipping? ???

1. It's a very expensive book, and he's fairly new to the boards, and hasn't showed references for selling.

2. He hasn't answered at whether or not it has been paid for on the CC auction. (this is important)

3. Rubbing the great buy in Bill's face wasn't cool.

:foryou: