• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I may get a lot of flack for this...but isn't it the buyer's job to find out what the recent sales are of the product they are buying?

Yes the OP did give some GPA #'s...his current auction he won would not be immediately reflected in the GPA #'s...am I correct in "assuming" this?

I don't see what he did as being "wrong"...he bought a book at a good price, turns around and sells it for more. Isn't this part of being a capitalistic society?

It's ultimately the buyer's responsibility to fact check prices, etc to make sure they are getting the best deal possible. If the buyer notices a recent sale (for cheaper than what the OP listed) than isn't wouldn't a prudent buyer take that in account when making an offer?

I see it as the OP offered a "guide" to base his sales off of. Just my opinion :whistle: !

The problem isn't the OP stating GPA or listing sales.

He didn't indicate that he is waiting for the book to be shipped to him from an auction house. He doesn't have the book in hand and can't possibly know when he'll have the book in hand.

Is he selling the book now to cover his auction cost?

The thread crapping shouldn't be happening - thats what this thread is for, to bring up issues that would be thread crappable without thread crapping.

My main issue is the conversation he had with the consigner to the original auction in the sales thread saying, "Thanks for the great price" type individual_without_enough_empathyry

I agree. If he wants to buy and sell for more, all the more power to him. I will question his judgement doing it here, but whatever, thats just me. The part that rubbed me the wrong way was the above comment about "Thanks for the great price." Sometimes the written word makes it hard to tell the "tone" or "emphasis" behind a comment, but it totally came off as a him being a complete . The seller may have lost thousands on the deal, and he just rubbed it in his face.

The other part that is a questionable practice( as others mentioned), is the possibility of buying it with the intentions of selling it here in order to pay for it in the first place. I know there are similar practices in other businesses, but it just seems wrong.

I may get a lot of flack for this...but isn't it the buyer's job to find out what the recent sales are of the product they are buying?

Yes the OP did give some GPA #'s...his current auction he won would not be immediately reflected in the GPA #'s...am I correct in "assuming" this?

I don't see what he did as being "wrong"...he bought a book at a good price, turns around and sells it for more. Isn't this part of being a capitalistic society?

It's ultimately the buyer's responsibility to fact check prices, etc to make sure they are getting the best deal possible. If the buyer notices a recent sale (for cheaper than what the OP listed) than isn't wouldn't a prudent buyer take that in account when making an offer?

I see it as the OP offered a "guide" to base his sales off of. Just my opinion :whistle: !

He didn't indicate that he is waiting for the book to be shipped to him from an auction house. He doesn't have the book in hand and can't possibly know when he'll have the book in hand.

The thread crapping shouldn't be happening - thats what this thread is for, to bring up issues that would be thread crappable without thread crapping.

My main issue is the conversation he had with the consigner to the original auction in the sales thread saying, "Thanks for the great price" type individual_without_enough_empathyry

Well said. JL, this comes really close to nailing it - extremely lucid post - whatever you're hitting tonight, stick with that :applause:

I agree. If he wants to buy and sell for more, all the more power to him. I will question his judgement doing it here, but whatever, thats just me. The part that rubbed me the wrong way was the above comment about "Thanks for the great price." Sometimes the written word makes it hard to tell the "tone" or "emphasis" behind a comment, but it totally came off as a him being a complete . The seller may have lost thousands on the deal, and he just rubbed it in his face.

The other part that is a questionable practice( as others mentioned), is the possibility of buying it with the intentions of selling it here in order to pay for it in the first place. I know there are similar practices in other businesses, but it just seems wrong.

He also suggested that not everyone can watch every auction at every time and his sale simply came down to luck of the draw.

Which is why I wouldn't buy from him, but when am I buying thousand dollar books off random people I've never met on the internet?

Isn't this standard practice in the Modern section?

got it now...it helps if I were to read the posts, lol!

I know there a many sellers on there that sell books *not in hand*. Pre-orders, waiting for cgc to ship, etc...

As long as buyer and seller know and communication is set...I still don't see the problem.

Now if he's being arrogant, bragging, etc...it just makes him a D-bag seller but still doesn't make it shady.

No. Its just that more people get called out for doing that in the modern section than any other selling area on the boards - its just easier to sell modern books not in hand without people noticing than it is golden or silver age.

No. Its just that more people get called out for doing that in the modern section than any other selling area on the boards - its just easier to sell modern books not in hand without people noticing than it is golden or silver age.

Happy Birthday! #darkhawk likes birthdays

Remember the last time that Metropolis experienced site outages and delays? Wait until his auction is reopened by Metropolis and additional bidders are allowed to make a go at the book.

Just saying'

I may have missed this, but who's money is Uchiha playing with?

Metropolis. He outed himself. He never has been the most...graceful with words. So everyone learned to just bypass him and sell directly to Metropolis, cutting out the middleman.

Not a mystery :facepalm: