• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2022 at 11:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wonder how grading scales play into movie scores. For example, an "average" movie for me gets somewhere in the 6.5-7.5 ("C") range, influenced by the way grades are tracked in school. Your "modest/C" is quite lower than mine. A 5, for me, would be teetering on failure.

So, I'm just sitting here wondering how scores can be 'wrong' simply because users have different ways of using those numbers.

In my school anything below 70% was failing.

A: 90-100

B: 80-89

C: 75-79

D: 70-74

F: 0-69

On 11/1/2022 at 12:23 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wonder how grading scales play into movie scores. For example, an "average" movie for me gets somewhere in the 6.5-7.5 ("C") range, influenced by the way grades are tracked in school. Your "modest/C" is quite lower than mine. A 5, for me, would be teetering on failure.

So, I'm just sitting here wondering how scores can be 'wrong' simply because users have different ways of using those numbers.

An 'average' movie to me is also a 6, where I find the experience overall enjoyable and the flaws with it did not stick out as much to the point it got me thinking about them during or after the fact. Nothing great, but certainly not bad enough to be bad (but also not something I'm not making plans to revisit)

I see Black Adam as a 5/10, as the faults really took me out of it and made the entire thing as a whole a poor film (even though I loved scenes and the execution of certain ideas).

On 11/1/2022 at 12:29 PM, D84 said:

In my school anything below 70% was failing.

A: 90-100

B: 80-89

C: 75-79

D: 70-74

F: 0-69

That's weird how your C's and D's were not stretched across 10%, like mine were. We also had E's in elementary and middle school, which covered 50-59%.

my spoiler free review.

Some of the stuff was really cool - 

Dr. Fate stuff worked overall - great effects, Pierce Brosnan quite believable, the superhero part was a bit Dr Strange-ish, but I'm not sure it could be helped.

Sarah Shahi was great -  enough action/proctective mom/tomb raider/splash of humor

Rock - he meets expectations and gives you what he generally promises - brooding, poses, physicality.  I do feel like his humor could have been used better.

I liked the music.

But more stuff didnt' work -

Dialogue and plot were painfully simplistic.

Some effects were literally trash, and the inconsistency of quality takes you out of the movie.  This is my biggest gripe.  

The junior JSA members were trash and useless, and the JSA in general were underdeveloped, and there were a lot of "WHY is it like this" and "Is this ripped off from other comic movies?" (I know many of these characters are actually older than Marvel counterparts, but it feels derivative).  The JSA were part of different movie, and the broader connection to the rest of the DCEU felt REALLY shoved in there.

I think the established stakes and bad guy were not concrete enough and the movie suffered from the lack of focus.  I simply did not care most of the time.

If you love the JSA or the Rock or Black Adam or you're a DC homer go watch it.  Otherwise, pass. 5.5 out of 10, you could probably talk me into a 6.0.  Its slightly better than the first Suicide Squad movie.

Edited by revat

On 11/1/2022 at 11:40 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's weird how your C's and D's were not stretched across 10%, like mine were. We also had E's in elementary and middle school, which covered 50-59%.

Before that C was 70-79 and there was no D. They were adamant that anything below 70 was an F.

At the end of the day, we're living in a golden age of superhero films - where characters as obscure as Doctor Fate are seen on the big screen - and played by such marquee actors as Pierce Brosnan.

So is it too much to ask that the film in which he appears not have the best scene be the post-credits one?

Side note: I swear to god if Warner Bros. announces a solo Animal Man film project I will rage a jihad.

They've already screwed up Jonah Hex, the Justice League and Suicide Squad -- wrecking Animal Man on top of that would just be...sad.

• Administrator

This thread is locked for the second time.  It will not be unlocked.  It's too bad a few had to ruin it for those that wanted to talk about the movie.  Do not start another thread.  

Edit:  I'm going to clean up the thread, and dish out warnings.  The servings will be generous.  

On 11/1/2022 at 6:18 PM, Gatsby77 said:

At the end of the day, we're living in a golden age of superhero films - where characters as obscure as Doctor Fate are seen on the big screen - and played by such marquee actors as Pierce Brosnan.

So is it too much to ask that the film in which he appears not have the best scene be the post-credits one?

That's simply a matter of context. If there wasn't such useless drama between DC Studios and Cavill, it wouldn't be the best scene. It's only the best scene because of everything it represents. There's a lot of good and cool stuff throughout Black Adam.

Question for those that have seen it: do we see any other oldies of fhd JSA beside Al Pratt? 

On 11/3/2022 at 1:49 PM, eastriver400 said:

Setting up BA vs Supes is a seriously shrewd move on the Rock's part.   It is instant validation for the Black Adam character.  As much as I personally would rather see Shazam vs Black Adam, in the long run it is a brilliant move.

I have a feeling that somehow Black Adam will win the first 1v1 with Superman, and then a 2v1 with Shazam gets the good guys the W. I'm not sure that is the best route to go, though.

On 11/3/2022 at 2:06 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I have a feeling that somehow Black Adam will win the first 1v1 with Superman, and then a 2v1 with Shazam gets the good guys the W. I'm not sure that is the best route to go, though.

If we get something in the end like Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam it would be cool to see that play out of a final team-up.