• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This cover is horrible, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar!
6 6

686 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2023 at 11:32 PM, darkstar said:

4243543543.thumb.jpg.39446e122cb66019a453114b6f4d7b43.jpg

The basic figure work is typical for Ms Marvel, but I don’t like the line work on it at all.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:15 PM, paqart said:

I totally forgot about the ASM/Obama cover until seeing it just now in the Books you never see in the wild thread. Badly drawn, badly composed, badly colored, bad joke, and uninteresting. There are others that are aesthetically just as bad in the run (or worse) but this one tops them all for its Colgate toothpaste ad quality. That is, it feels like an advertisement for something other than a comic book, as opposed to the story we want when we buy a comic.

This issue reminds me of the little kid named Ricky that suddenly started making appearances in the Partridge Family in the last season. He appeared every episode for ten episodes, and when he did, everything stopped so he could sing a song (badly) and the Partridge family could pretend to smile. Danny Partridge's smiles were particularly unconvincing in these scenes. They were not only foisted on the audience in an obvious attempt to appeal to people who would think Ricky was cute, but also on the main cast of the show, who didn't seem to appreciate his presence.

I have this comic because it is a newsstand edition, but every time I see it when rifling through my ASM issues is like turning a corner in my garden and seeing a giant tarantula. The ASM wedding cake cover evinces a similar reaction.

ASM Obama.jpg

This is good art. I don't get it.

On 7/5/2023 at 10:22 AM, PeterPark said:

This is good art. I don't get it.

I think he summed it up perfectly with: “Colgate toothpaste ad quality”. To each their own, but that cover is 16 ways bad.

On 7/7/2023 at 1:22 PM, Yorick said:

I think you've found a real winner here.  :sick:

No neck.  No jaw.  No grips on the guns.  No sheaths for those knives (they'd cut right through those straps).  No right shoulder.

The belt pouches are far to tightly placed for that character to move his leg.  Those skulls also look really cumbersome.  Why wouldn't that other strap drop into the gaps of the skulls?  It sits perfectly balanced on a skull?  His garter belt leg pouch has no volume and cannot store anything but a silver dollar.

I would proudly display that OA all day long. It’s pure 90’s all on one page. Is it good? Nope. But iconic of the era!

On 7/7/2023 at 5:49 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I would proudly display that OA all day long. It’s pure 90’s all on one page. Is it good? Nope. But iconic of the era!

I must have got confused after I believe frank Miller was posted, to thinking this 90s style was DONE by Miller.

With that sigh of relief I'm grateful to see it clearly now, but typical, true, and yet it doesn't draw the eyes in as much as a wildcats Jim Lee cover. Imo

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/7/2023 at 4:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I must have got confused after I believe frank Miller was posted, to thinking this 90s style was DONE by Miller.

With that sigh of relief I'm grateful to see it clearly now, but typical, true, and yet it doesn't draw the eyes in as much as a young blood Jim Lee cover. Imo

I’m not familiar with the artist, but it’s clearly a Liefeld house style. I’ll let the big boys fight over the Jim Lee And McFarlane covers, I’ll be swooping in on the Calvin Irving classics! (And I’m not joking, I’m diggin’ his work…off to CAF)

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/7/2023 at 5:56 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I’m not familiar with the artist, but it’s clearly a Liefeld house style. I’ll let the big boys fight over the Jim Lee And McFarlane covers, I’ll be swooping in on the Calvin Irving classics!

I misspoke anyway lol

I meant wild cats by Jim Lee, but tbh, it all served a purpose in time, I'm just glad to "move on" too in a way.

If it ever hit the Main Stream again, well we'll know there is a rich vein of it for spec and mining, but lol

It is fun to look at with fresh eyes, or I think that was the draw back then, for something different. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/24/2023 at 10:30 AM, Poutine said:

Usually its the ladies that are thicc not the horses

Okay, Mr Hands. 

On 8/24/2023 at 12:52 AM, BuraddoRun said:

I can't decide whether this cover is terrible or awesome. What do y'all think?

shi.jpg

It reminds me of a busy Alex Schomburg Golden Age cover. But, a bad attempt.

Or, with the sunburst effect, Mac Raboy. If he'd had zero compositional talent.

It's tacky.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/23/2023 at 5:52 PM, BuraddoRun said:

I can't decide whether this cover is terrible or awesome. What do y'all think?

shi.jpg

I think it’d be a lot cooler if Macho Man Randy Savage was riding that horse.