• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2022 at 7:35 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Well, please stop in more, we're a small group headed by our fearless leader @Get Marwood & I, but love new people and new stuff. 

On quality of content, I think a straw pole would put you as the leader of this thread, Reggie. I'm just the honorary founding member :)

On 2/4/2022 at 3:21 PM, Spider-Variant said:

@Get Marwood & I That's got to be some 1950's work by Ross, but he did a lot of stuff in there, so no idea on either.

Here's one - go find t'other :popcorn:

1571476842_PoliceTrap16LM9dStamp.thumb.jpg.bd8ba1860220756bbd405a917d73b981.jpg

(The tape pull was me doh!)

On 2/4/2022 at 4:41 PM, Spider-Variant said:

More art by Ross and Mike from Heart and Soul #1 (1954).

In this panel, @Get Marwood & I laments his fate in life.

image.png.ef6839bf9ff9d08876731c67d55ad9f2.png

Judging by the smell in the car on the way home just now, that bum is definitely broken :p

On 2/5/2022 at 6:21 PM, themagicrobot said:

I guess you're trawling through the IW/Super stuff having exhausted every other publisher from the 1960s (bar Lightning comics) 

1698989515_mysterytales17.thumb.jpg.130cfee8d2d9429ca43f38d60c5e35ae.jpg

Woo-hoo! Thar she blows!

Spoiler

Grease Lightning! 1630405749_s-l1600(2).jpg.45ab7161a9784e966fd5424bc65b587c.jpg

On 2/6/2022 at 3:46 PM, Spider-Variant said:

What did you think?  Did it live up to the hype?

I tried to avoid most of the hype and reviews, so I'm not sure Reggie.

I'm easily moved, and I loved seeing all the old film cast again. I liked that, and there were a few tears here and there when they arrived. Tom Holland and Zendaya won me over, in the end. There was some fabulous 'Spidey' scenes - I thought him and MJ swinging through the city at the start was really good, and the most realistic portrayal of that most basic of Spidey tropes so far. It was a bit like a mad What If story, with everything thrown in. I thought Willem showed everyone how to act a bit, and whilst it was cool to see all the villains together, it felt a little superficial at times. Some of the banter was good, but ultimately there were no big shocks and I thought there was a lack of a strong story and emotional grist.

I think maybe I'm just too old for all this now. I have an image of Spidey in my mind, based largely on the first 180 issues of ASM. I thought the first two Maguire films, for their faults, were the closest portrayal I've seen of the story of the Spidey I grew up with. I know we have to move on, but they had heart and much stronger characterisation. You can have all the spectacle in the world, but if there is no strong story underpinning it all, it can feel a little throwaway. I found the first hour bordering on flimsy, but it picked up when May died and the boys showed up. In a way, I just wanted to skip back to Maguire, and have a proper Goblin kills MJ finale (I was sorry not to see Kirsten turn up for some dual-MJ banter). 

Nice to see Molina again as Doc Ock, but contrast how he carried the whole second Maguire film - here, just a bit part. And I still have yet to see a fight scene as cleverly choreographed as that Doc Ock fight on the train in SM2. Everything since has been, all too often, an indefinable blur.

So it was a fun film and I enjoyed it. Much to commend it. But an overall absence of emotional power, for me. And being a purist, all the technology, the Stark stuff, the constant sharing the limelight with other heroes, and the traditional character changes just makes this a good Spider-Man film, for me. Just not 'my' Spider-Man. 

On 2/6/2022 at 11:07 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I tried to avoid most of the hype and reviews, so I'm not sure Reggie.

I'm easily moved, and I loved seeing all the old film cast again. I liked that, and there were a few tears here and there when they arrived. Tom Holland and Zendaya won me over, in the end. There was some fabulous 'Spidey' scenes - I thought him and MJ swinging through the city at the start was really good, and the most realistic portrayal of that most basic of Spidey tropes so far. It was a bit like a mad What If story, with everything thrown in. I thought Willem showed everyone how to act a bit, and whilst it was cool to see all the villains together, it felt a little superficial at times. Some of the banter was good, but ultimately there were no big shocks and I thought there was a lack of a strong story and emotional grist.

I think maybe I'm just too old for all this now. I have an image of Spidey in my mind, based largely on the first 180 issues of ASM. I thought the first two Maguire films, for their faults, were the closest portrayal I've seen of the story of the Spidey I grew up with. I know we have to move on, but they had heart and much stronger characterisation. You can have all the spectacle in the world, but if there is no strong story underpinning it all, it can feel a little throwaway. I found the first hour bordering on flimsy, but it picked up when May died and the boys showed up. In a way, I just wanted to skip back to Maguire, and have a proper Goblin kills MJ finale (I was sorry not to see Kirsten turn up for some dual-MJ banter). 

Nice to see Molina again as Doc Ock, but contrast how he carried the hole second Maguire film - here, just a bit part. And I still have yet to see a fight scene as cleverly choreographed as that Doc Ock fight on the train in SM2. Everything since has been, all too often, an indefinable blur.

So it was a fun film and I enjoyed it. Much to commend it. But an overall absence of emotional power, for me. And being a purist, all the technology, the Stark stuff, the constant sharing the limelight with other heroes, and the traditional character changes just makes this a good Spider-Man film, for me. Just not 'my' Spider-Man. 

Wow, that's a very detailed review my friend.

I do agree with you that Spider-Man 2 movie was probably the best of the eight produced.  I watched them all again before I went and saw No Way Home.

I'm still in the minority, but I think Andrew Garfield was my favorite Spider-Man.  That scene when he tells off Uncle Ben, asking why his parents abandoned him, really resonated with me.  

On 2/6/2022 at 11:13 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

What did you think?

I really liked it.  I think for me, just the incredible feat of getting all these actors to sign up for this movie impressed me.  I think I would have to see it again to give a review as detailed as yours though.  

On 2/6/2022 at 4:13 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Wow, that's a very detailed review my friend.

I do agree with you that Spider-Man 2 movie was probably the best of the eight produced.  I watched them all again before I went and saw No Way Home.

I'm still in the minority, but I think Andrew Garfield was my favorite Spider-Man.  That scene when he tells off Uncle Ben, asking why his parents abandoned him, really resonated with me.  

Sorry, Reggie, the phone rang.

Yes, the well done emotional stuff is always powerful. I liked Garfield and Stone, I thought their Peter/Gwen relationship was lovely. But I didn't like either of his films overall and thought both Electro and Lizard were poorly executed. And both films had such bad music, which is unforgivable.

On 2/6/2022 at 4:15 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I really liked it.  I think for me, just the incredible feat of getting all these actors to sign up for this movie impressed me.  I think I would have to see it again to give a review as detailed as yours though.  

Yes, that was some feat, to do that and you have to take your hat off to someone who can put a film together with all those components. I think that was one of my issues though, now I dwell on it - the over abundance of characters. There's some fun to be had having Ock, Gobby, Electro and Sandman in your flat, with Lizard downstairs in the van, for sure. But in a way, I felt it sort of disrespected them, reducing them to that. Lizard and Sandman were especially pointless and added little.  So again, it was a fun spectacle in a throwaway Marvel Team-Up / What If sort of way but, just like the comics, it wasn't a core 'Amazing Spider-Man' story. 

I did laugh though when Ock said his name and the three kids laughed. 

On 2/6/2022 at 5:38 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Yes, I agree with you on the villians in the Amazing Spider-Man movies, especially Electro.  I thought the Lizard wasn't bad though.

I really want a third Garfield movie now.

Seems anything is possible now, doesn't it. One spell from Strange, a bit of multi-versing, and Bob's your uncle.