• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,729 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 12:27 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Perhaps someone who didn’t read my original posts can find some enjoyment in this summary.

What a terrific post that is, Reggie, tucked away out of sight on this forum. Recap or not, I love it :)

On 2/28/2022 at 9:02 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

What a terrific post that is, Reggie, tucked away out of sight on this forum. Recap or not, I love it :)

Thanks Steve. And thanks to all for the support I have received on my research over the years on Mr. Andru's work. We're a small team on the Andru Thread, but we're a supportive group!

On 2/28/2022 at 3:31 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks Steve. And thanks to all for the support I have received on my research over the years on Mr. Andru's work. We're a small team on the Andru Thread, but we're a supportive group!

That we are :)

On 3/2/2022 at 2:20 PM, Spider-Variant said:

The small details Ross puts in this Splash is amazing.  Ross copies the water towers and stacks in the lower right of my photo, the background buildings, and the AC units on the roof of another building.  I highlight all the matches.  That's a lot of detail.

Guy was a genius. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:14 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Guy was a genius. 

I just want to understand what drove him to go to such lengths to get all these details in.  It wasn't the money.  It just astounds me that he would have this much desire to get it perfect, knowing he was on a schedule.  To hear those in the industry speak, those schedules were always tight, so it's not like Ross had a lot of extra time.  

He was something else.  He was an under-appreciated Genius, that is what he was.

On 3/2/2022 at 5:23 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I just want to understand what drove him to go to such lengths to get all these details in.  It wasn't the money.  It just astounds me that he would have this much desire to get it perfect, knowing he was on a schedule.  To hear those in the industry speak, those schedules were always tight, so it's not like Ross had a lot of extra time.  

He was something else.  He was an under-appreciated Genius, that is what he was.

Most of them usually are, Reggie. Geniuses, I mean. The cream doesn't always rise to the top in life, alas. But a few of us spotted it, and it made its mark. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:33 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Most of them usually are, Reggie. Geniuses, I mean. The cream doesn't always rise to the top in life, alas. But a few of us spotted it, and it made its mark. 

The ASM 167 Splash with that vertical partition on the One Penn Plaza building has been on the back of my mind for years.  Like why would Ross add this to his drawing when all the other details matched so perfectly.  It wasn't on the real building, so why ad lib.  Well, now I know he didn't, it just wasn't a permanent part of the building.  He got it perfect.

I do think he used this postcard as reference.  We know Ross used a postcard of JFK for ASM 143-144 and he also used a car brochure for his Pan Am World Port in the same issue.