• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2022 at 6:03 PM, Spider-Variant said:

The ASM 167 Splash with that vertical partition on the One Penn Plaza building has been on the back of my mind for years.  Like why would Ross add this to his drawing when all the other details matched so perfectly.  It wasn't on the real building, so why ad lib.  Well, now I know he didn't, it just wasn't a permanent part of the building.  He got it perfect.

I do think he used this postcard as reference.  We know Ross used a postcard of JFK for ASM 143-144 and he also used a car brochure for his Pan Am World Port in the same issue.  

Or he had a chopper.

AmazingSpiderman147-01.thumb.jpg.3e002cbb88348f03530e0f48ef24865e.jpg

On 3/3/2022 at 1:45 AM, ganni said:

:x

asm174b.jpg.fc2b5e1810da6668b90a5dc01c88c9b7.jpg

RATATATATs had their place, but I always appreciated a well judged use of BHUD-UD-UD-AH! :cloud9:

@Spider-Variant  Thanks for the heads up on this place! Some amazing content in here as I have catching up to do. Have to pull my OO ASM from the 70s to revisit. This time period was definitely my favorite for ASM and the art work indeed was a big piece of this. (thumbsu

On 3/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, ganni said:

Choppers were every where :acclaim:

rah1.jpg.02784743704b77672a5586de3958194b.jpg

Then after Ross stops drawing...... there gone:facepalm:

Ross Andru Thread Trivia Time!

Without looking back in this thread, name the background inker for this panel and what clue he left?

Bonus - Name why he left the clue?

Super Bonus - Name the inspiration for the clue?

If you can answer these questions, then the coveted Ross Andru Thread No Prize is yours, along with a picture of @Get Marwood & I's half eaten Twinkie from 1976 (he informs us that he recently ate it and it is no longer in play.)

On 3/6/2022 at 3:45 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Without looking back in this thread, name the background inker for this panel and what clue he left?

If you can answer these questions, then the coveted Ross Andru Thread No Prize is yours, along with a picture of @Get Marwood & I's half eaten Twinkie from 1976 (he informs us that he recently ate it and it is no longer in play.)

Outstanding sv...(thumbsu

I'll need lots of twinkies  for the time pondering  if i decide to join this hunt for the inker's name and clue...:acclaim:

On 3/5/2022 at 8:43 PM, ganni said:

Outstanding sv...(thumbsu

I'll need lots of twinkies  for the time pondering  if i decide to join this hunt for the inker's name and clue...:acclaim:

Hotess Fruit Pies are acceptable brain food too.  Well, they were when I was growing up.  Lost some flavor over the years.

On 3/5/2022 at 10:00 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Hotess Fruit Pies are acceptable brain food too.  Well, they were when I was growing up.  Lost some flavor over the years.

Chocolate flavor was my favorite as a child , had one about 20 years ago an it tasted like pure chemicals yuck 🤮

On 3/5/2022 at 11:45 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Not one single guess? Where's @bababooey when you need him?  

I haven't picked up an Issue of Amazing Spider-Man since issue 600 or so, so I don't follow it.  I do look at original comic art boards from time to time and recently found this from Amazing Spider-Man 640.  It was nice to see a recent (12 years ago, lol) artist, Paolo Rivera, depict NYC like Ross Andru was famous for doing.

I thought this was a very good rendition of the Queensboro bridge and surrounding area.  He even included the stack.  Ross's versions below.  The Queensboro bridge was probably the landmark Ross put into ASM more than any other.

Amazing Spider-Man 640 P.20 Comic Art

image.thumb.png.baa1e66ad2c12c57dffa30c20a4d5804.png

image.thumb.png.68355720305c5fd9cb67c2262dd6438f.png