• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2022 at 5:19 PM, Lee B. said:

Hi Reggie and all!  I thought you might enjoy an advertisement I found, from the December 19, 1975 issue of The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom. 

First, a little background: I obsessively collect images of old comic art for-sale ads for a searchable online database I created called ComicArtAds.  You can search original art ads by comic artist and comic title.  Right now the database includes about 40 results is you search Ross Andru. 

In the course of my searching for old art ads in The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom, I came across the ad below.  I have seen a lot, but this ad really caused some angst for me.  My first comic book ever was Amazing Spider-Man #140, and to see so many pages from that book and others for sale for $35/each made me sad.  But it also made me hopeful that those pages are probably out in the wild somewhere, waiting for me to find them.  Enjoy, and take care!  Best regards, Lee

ArtServiceAssociation_TheBuyersGuide121975.jpg

Holy Cow Lee!   Thanks so much for posting this.  When I get some breathing room, I'll compare it to the pages I have scans of.  I have a picture of about 33% of all Ross's work on Amazing Spider-Man.:applause:

On 4/5/2022 at 1:19 AM, Lee B. said:

Hi Reggie and all!  I thought you might enjoy an advertisement I found, from the December 19, 1975 issue of The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom. 

First, a little background: I obsessively collect images of old comic art for-sale ads for a searchable online database I created called ComicArtAds.  You can search original art ads by comic artist and comic title.  Right now the database includes about 40 results is you search Ross Andru. 

In the course of my searching for old art ads in The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom, I came across the ad below.  I have seen a lot, but this ad really caused some angst for me.  My first comic book ever was Amazing Spider-Man #140, and to see so many pages from that book and others for sale for $35/each made me sad.  But it also made me hopeful that those pages are probably out in the wild somewhere, waiting for me to find them.  Enjoy, and take care!  Best regards, Lee

ArtServiceAssociation_TheBuyersGuide121975.jpg

Holy Cow indeed! Look at that (worship)

Oh, we'd have bought them all, wouldn't we. Flippin hobby!

On 4/3/2022 at 3:53 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Long before Dr. Faustus was blowing smoke up Spider-Man's wazoo (both literally and figuratively), he was the arch-enemy of one of the greatest super-heroes ever.  Shoney's Big Boy.

image.png.97e447c879c69c18b8889fab9862b5db.png

May be an image of 1 person

Lol his first appearance is in Big Boy comics👏👏😃that is great‼️

Hey, @Lee B. I had a chance to look at that list you posted in a little more detail.  Here are some things I noticed.

1)  First, yes, I've seen your ComicArtAds site.  Very cool.

2)  Below I highlight the art from the Buyer's Guide Ad that I have scans from.  I guess I take comfort in knowing all that great Ross Andru art didn't get snatched up by one buyer.  I'm even happier knowing someone did buy it and it all didn't get destroyed.

3)  The range of the art is from ASM 133 to ASM 148 and includes GS SM 1 and 4.  That puts the date range from March 1974 to June 1975 (using the book on the stands date).  Makes sense from a Dec. 1975 Ad.

4)  The ad lists 103 pages and I have scans of 22, for a 21% rate.  That's lower than the 33% of all Ross's ASM pages that I have scans from.  That kind of makes sense, as this is some of his older art on the run.

5)  The ad lists pages 17-18 from Issue 136 for $75.  I always thought this was a "two story pages on one art board" piece.  But based on pricing, I am now convinced this is two story pages on two art boards.  

Thanks for sharing this ad, really neat find.

image.thumb.png.f7a23aa283ac3934ff2fc113ed01ad25.png

On 4/6/2022 at 1:33 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Hey, @Lee B. I had a chance to look at that list you posted in a little more detail.  Here are some things I noticed.

2)  Below I highlight the art from the Buyer's Guide Ad that I have scans from.  I guess I take comfort in knowing all that great Ross Andru art didn't get snatched up by one buyer.  I'm even happier knowing someone did buy it and it all didn't get destroyed.

3)  The range of the art is from ASM 133 to ASM 148 and includes GS SM 1 and 4.  That puts the date range from March 1974 to June 1975 (using the book on the stands date).  Makes sense from a Dec. 1975 Ad.

4)  The ad lists 103 pages and I have scans of 22, for a 21% rate.  That's lower than the 33% of all Ross's ASM pages that I have scans from.  That kind of makes sense, as this is some of his older art on the run.

5)  The ad lists pages 17-18 from Issue 136 for $75.  I always thought this was a "two story pages on one art board" piece.  But based on pricing, I am now convinced this is two story pages on two art boards.  

Great analysis!  I communicated with Jim Salicrup, who hosted me as an intern in the Spider-Man office at Marvel in early 1990.  Jim told me that they "hardly sold any", and that he wished he had all those pages stacked up in the back of his closet.  I don't know what eventually happened to them.  Cheers, Lee

On 4/7/2022 at 11:22 AM, Lee B. said:

Great analysis!  I communicated with Jim Salicrup, who hosted me as an intern in the Spider-Man office at Marvel in early 1990.  Jim told me that they "hardly sold any", and that he wished he had all those pages stacked up in the back of his closet.  I don't know what eventually happened to them.  Cheers, Lee

Thanks again Lee.  Please keep stopping by and posting on this thread.  We are a small, but proud team of Ross Andru fans and love any and all things Ross and Spider-Man.

Ok to share the Comic Buyer's Guide ad?

On 4/6/2022 at 1:33 PM, Spider-Variant said:

If only” WHAT IF”. 🧐🧐😳

On 4/7/2022 at 11:31 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Thanks again Lee.  Please keep stopping by and posting on this thread.  We are a small, but proud team of Ross Andru fans and love any and all things Ross and Spider-Man.

Ok to share the Comic Buyer's Guide ad?

You're welcome Reggie!  And it's definitely OK to share the CBG ad.  Please feel free to plug www.comicartads.com whenever you want to as well.  Always nice to see folks enjoying the website!

On 4/7/2022 at 12:04 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Tardis? Fire up the Delorean baby.  Those Ross pages are worth at least a 100X today.  Not too shabby.

I never had an interest in original art, an when I was young could have had it for a song , at least I did buy comics an mags an kept most them👍‼️