• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SD Con 2018 Gathering
3 3

100 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, nearmint said:

We all look a bit younger!

I forgot to apply the photoshop touch-up this year.  :blush:

Took an effort to find the 2011 thread.  I think my camera died so we relied on your pictures.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/222124-annual-san-diego-party-at-rarehighgrades/?page=1

23 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I forgot to apply the photoshop touch-up this year.  :blush:

Took an effort to find the 2011 thread.  I think my camera died so we relied on your pictures.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/222124-annual-san-diego-party-at-rarehighgrades/?page=1

From that year.  I do miss this book...

superman1.jpg

4 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I just realized Rarehighgrade has been at each one :insane:

He's made it 13 years in a row. :whatthe:

46 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I've had the good fortune to attend four of them so far, feeling much older viewing pics of venerable colleagues & eye-popping books.

And older still given our youngest RHG inductee...

IMG_2122_zps8bui6u4e.jpg

Wishing John the best keeping it together in this rough and tumble hobby.  Hope he develops as much of a passion for the business as his father. :headbang:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Further thoughts.

38 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

My regret is not buying it from you when you sold it. I thought Mr B bought it from you

He did, for a very fair price at the time.  Of course, it's skyrocketed since.  I wish I still had it, though, because it was such a nice copy.  The only piece replacement was on the margin of page one, none on the cover!

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:
1 hour ago, nearmint said:

From that year.  I do miss this book...

superman1.jpg

My regret is not buying it from you when you sold it. I thought Mr B bought it from you

The good thing about the PLOD grail books is that it keeps the price of the book within the shooting range of more collectors. (thumbsu

Doubt this will be the case for the long term though, as I suspect the affordability factor for these PLOD grails will serve only to also accelerate their prices at a fast clip going forward.  hm

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The good thing about the PLOD grail books is that it keeps the price of the book within the shooting range of more collectors. (thumbsu

Doubt this will be the case for the long term though, as I suspect the affordability factor for these PLOD grails will serve only to also accelerate their prices at a fast clip going forward.  hm

That's already happened.

1 hour ago, nearmint said:

He did, for a very fair price at the time.  Of course, it's skyrocketed since.  I wish I still had it, though, because it was such a nice copy.  The only piece replacement was on the margin of page one, none on the cover!

It was probably the nicest copy I remember seeing with moderate restoration if I remember correctly. I just couldn’t put the money together at that time. 

19 minutes ago, nearmint said:
37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's already happened.

Very well aware of this, but I also think this trend will be picking up steam going forward as affordability will become a key driving force in pushing prices further upwards.

We have already seen this in terms of the entry level prices and lower grade prices for some of these high value GA books, whereby the prices at the bottom end of the condition range are accelerating at a much faster clip (percentage wise, that is) as compared to the higher grade condition copies, if they even become available.  

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:
4 hours ago, nearmint said:

It was probably the nicest copy I remember seeing with moderate restoration if I remember correctly. I just couldn’t put the money together at that time. 

If I were smarter I would still have it. Unfortunately I traded it for a cow and a bag of magic beans.

6 hours ago, adamstrange said:
6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I just realized Rarehighgrade has been at each one :insane:

You and Peter are the only ones who've been at every one! (worship)

The first time I’ve seen this thread.

I’m not a GA collector, way out of my meagre price range, but what incredible books, especially the striking colours, gloss and preservation of many of the examples.  

Congrats to everyone for putting together such amazing collections, and thanks for sharing.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The first time I’ve seen this thread.

I’m not a GA collector, way out of my meagre price range, but what incredible books, especially the striking colours, gloss and preservation of many of the examples.  

Congrats to everyone for putting together such amazing collections, and thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the positive feedback and kind words, Ken.  For those of us fortunate to attend, it's the world's "bestest" Show & Tell Party. (thumbsu