• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SD Con 2018 Gathering
3 3

100 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2018 at 7:28 PM, adamstrange said:

Timely kicked off the session with just copies of just one issue. 

The boy lacks a certain amount of imagination.  Just sayin. (:

SD Con2018 03.jpg

SD Con2018 04.jpg

I guess somebody must be trying to catch up with Fishler's treasure trove of Fantastic 3 or Gator's cache of Whiz 22.  :D

17 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Here are most of the pics I took ...meager efforts compared to the indisputable awesomeness of Adam Strange's photo-artistry...

4c1222e7-9760-4c41-9044-d4058d554ecc_zps

Now that's a super nice looking copy of a classic Solomon Grundy cover book.  :luhv:

Not aware of any major sales of this book last year in comparison to some of the other high profile GA sales that we have all heard about.  And yet Overstreet went and gave this book the second biggest percentage boost at 26% (just behind WW 1's chart topping 28%) in his Top 100 GA Comics, as the AA 61 was only 1 of 2 new inductees into Overstreet's Top 100 and rocketed all the way into the #85 spot in its debut.

On 7/27/2018 at 12:04 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Here are those sweet Timely's & some of the other books I brought.  In fact, raw books on hand were even thumbed through! Alas, I was a bit apprehnsive watching attendees chowing down on chocolate brownies just before my turn to pass raw books around came up. :cry:

515076fb-1e53-4af5-b608-a1b6bde9625d_zps

Along with another beautifully crafted Nazi knuckle sandwich cover by Schomburg, the master of the WWII covers.  :luhv:

It could only have been better if that was Hitler himself that the Black Terror was laying a knockout punch to.

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Now that's a super nice looking copy of a classic Solomon Grundy cover book.  :luhv:

Not aware of any major sales of this book last year in comparison to some of the other high profile GA sales that we have all heard about.  And yet Overstreet went and gave this book the second biggest percentage boost at 26% (just behind WW 1's chart topping 28%) in his Top 100 GA Comics, as the AA 61 was only 1 of 2 new inductees into Overstreet's Top 100 and rocketed all the way into the #85 spot in its debut.

What an awesome book! One of my top 5 GA DCs for sure. That book has been undervalued for years.

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:
8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What an awesome book! One of my top 5 GA DCs for sure. That book has been undervalued for years.

+1

I would definitely agree with you here.  (thumbsu

In fact, I remembered when CBM ran a survey back in the mid-90's asking collectors (i.e. readers) to submit their top 5 all-time favorite covers.  Although it just missed my Top 5 list since it was basically a toss up between AA 61 and Adventure 73 with the classic Manhunter cover for me, I believe 2 or 3 other collectors did go with the AA 61 as one of their Top 5's.

As an indication of how collector's taste and attitudes can change over time, if I remember correctly, I believe I was the only foolish collector at the time to include either 'Tec 31 or Punch 12 in my Top 5 list.  And yet, in a recent poll conducted by one of the Heritage magazines, it looks like 'Tec 31 finished at the top of the charts while Punch 12 came in at the #4 position behind both Suspense 3 and Fantastic 3.  Definitely not bad company to be in, but go figure that both 'Tec 31 and Punch 12 would come out of nowhere to finished right near the top of the charts.  (shrug)

I believe my other 2 choices at the time were Supes 14 and Silver Streak 6 which were picked by many collectors both in the mid-90's and again some 20 odd years later. Which goes to show that although some things do change over time, other things might not change too much at all.  hm

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

A CGC 5.5 sold just a few months ago for $11,600.00. 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, adamstrange said:

My SD Con attendance was brief but, happily, included the gathering at RareHighGrade's.  Pizza is supplied outside on the patio, along with a variety of fruit snacks and salad from the lovely Mrs. Rarehighgrade.  With perfect weather and a peaceful atmosphere far removed from the madness that is SD Con, spirits and conversation flow with ease until we realize that it's time to look at comics! 

Those wanting to see last year's will find it at the link:  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/420395-sd-con-2017-gathering/

SD Con2018 01.jpg

SD Con2018 02.jpg

I would have more fun at the Gathering than the show. :whatthe: Cat-Man_America drinking out of a can (shrug) Really now that's as bad as drinking 1265752832_coorslight.jpg.2d8daed56ff61385a7097316e193e5bf.jpg

:makepoint:               :facepalm:

Peter had an excellent cross section of brews on hand. I usually imbibe darker draught brews or the occasional hard cider in summer. Guinness from a can ain't bad.  If Peter had had European brews on tap out by the pool, I might not have made it to the hallowed table, so indeed, I'm grateful for that as well!  :grin:

20 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

any more pic's......

Just these two from our Beverly Hilton hotel room today as we're packing up to Amtrak back to Texas...

IMG_2187_zpscpkh3utj.jpg

IMG_2186_zpsur9shczj.jpg

As Gator points out, we have a master photographer on hand. Adam Strange is like Fellini, whose tightly framed composition shots capture the raw reality before him. The maestros' work is that of a virtuoso genius, taking the rawist of subjects and enriching them through the beauty of the books they hold. He may only take 81/2 images, but they're all perfect.  I'm more like Von Stroheim, shooting footage until I've got the best available to create a naturalistic story of Gold & power that runs for eight hours.   :wink:

The images I took via iPad at Peter's RHG gathering were first posted on another board. The best of those were then posted in this thread as well, after our esteemed photographer and historian of record had posted his masterful photo array. Think of my second unit shots as alternate takes intended for export.  I'm sure that if Adam Strange had taken more shots worthy of posting to this thread they'd have found their way here.  What he provided was superb and deserves a rousing round of applause, :applause:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
More verbosity & accolades!

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Although it just missed my Top 5 list since it was basically a toss up between AA 61 and Adventure 73 with the classic Manhunter cover for me

Adventure 73 is a great pick; an absolutely incredible cover.

I hope I get one before everyone else thinks so, too!

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:
22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Although it just missed my Top 5 list since it was basically a toss up between AA 61 and Adventure 73 with the classic Manhunter cover for me

Adventure 73 is a great pick; an absolutely incredible cover.

I hope I get one before everyone else thinks so, too!

+1

Yes, my sentiments exactly and yet, this book along with the entire DC GA Adventure run seems to have fallen out of favor with the collecting base for some reason.  (shrug)

Although prices have been creeping up, you probably have had many chances to pick up a HG copy over the past several years.  Especially with both 9.0 and 9.2 copies being made available on Heritage, with all of them selling at huge discounts to guide and sometimes even at less than half of condition guide.  :frown:

I guess we need some big name director or Hollywood studio to announce that they will be doing a Manhunter movie in order to get these books out of the doldrums.  :wishluck:

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Yes, my sentiments exactly and yet, this book along with the entire DC GA Adventure run seems to have fallen out of favor with the collecting base for some reason.  (shrug)

Although prices have been creeping up, you probably have had many chances to pick up a HG copy over the past several years.  Especially with both 9.0 and 9.2 copies being made available on Heritage, with all of them selling at huge discounts to guide and sometimes even at less than half of condition guide.  :frown:

I guess we need some big name director or Hollywood studio to announce that they will be doing a Manhunter movie in order to get these books out of the doldrums.  :wishluck:

The 73-80 run with S&K art on both Sandman and Manhunter, plus Burnley Starman and Bailey Hourman were very in-demand back in the day..... they wouldn't survive a show. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

24 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

The 73-80 run with S&K art on both Sandman and Manhunter, plus Burnley Starman and Bailey Hourman were very in-demand back in the day..... they wouldn't survive a show. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Would definitely agree with you here, but noticed that I have highlighted the key words in your statement for clarification.

Unfortunately, "back in the day" is probably referring to decades ago. :frown:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Would definitely agree with you here, but noticed that I have highlighted the key words in your statement for clarification.

Unfortunately, "back in the day" is probably referring to decades ago. :frown:

While wishing I could offer more solace here, I'm in total agreement with your observations.  I'm a fan of D.C.'s S&K Adventure Comics as well, but they've fallen out of the public conscience due to a lack of media enthusiasm.  D.C./Time-Warner's sorry track record for Universe building has all but relegated these characters to obscurity.  

The only positive thing I can offer is this: At least these GA D.C.'s heroes under the Time-Warner umbrella haven't been picked for deconstruction and reinterpretion by filmmakers who lack a nuanced fan's perspective required to provide these GA characters with a proper period setting needed to,pull it off,.

Edited by Cat-Man_America
My wordcraftsmanship had sailed.