• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2021 at 9:19 AM, ThothAmon said:

Lol. As opposed to?

Every time we watch a movie or a Disney +, my husband asks if "are these are fake superheroes? or real ones:"  I think he's referring to are they in "comics". ..but I like your answer, I'm going to use it;)

On 8/1/2021 at 12:01 AM, Chicago Boy said:

I guess I get the price for the turtle book when I start to look at Pokemon cards and rookie cards on some players who have only been in the league just a few years.  Not to mention Brady who is still playing. Prices being driven by a younger generation than old school collectors.  This is their nostalgia. for the record the TMNT's are fake superheroes 

Yeah, I dunno. As someone who's the generation willing to spend on Pokemon (and I would, to be clear, I just lack the funds to buy a perfect 1st Edition holo Charizard), I do think it's interesting which things are rising in value. My entire collecting is driven by 1990s nostalgia (whaddup DCAU), but not the 1990s products--instead, I look for the underlying sources (e.g., Laughing Fish, Joker's Five-Way Revenge, other first appearances). That's not present for many other 1980s/1990s products, so the value is derived elsewhere.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:33 AM, Scrooge said:

These guys are the real super-heroes -

Title says it all. But if you can't trust the title, what can you trust?   Your high-school history books!  No "fake" heroes here.  (thumbsu

IMG_3351.thumb.JPG.75ca72c4b0f98f639f60a02b1a207c5b.JPG

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/1/2021 at 2:01 PM, szav said:

Not quite sure how to make sense of that statement...but let me suggest for your own benefit that you don't go digging too deep into Santa Claus's story or you may end up a bit disappointed.

Don't  even get me started on who should be considered a real super model  

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 8/1/2021 at 12:01 AM, Chicago Boy said:

I guess I get the price for the turtle book when I start to look at Pokemon cards and rookie cards on some players who have only been in the league just a few years.  Not to mention Brady who is still playing. Prices being driven by a younger generation than old school collectors.  This is their nostalgia. for the record the TMNT's are fake superheroes 

It doesn't bother me at all. I'd much rather collectors spend their money on books that don't interest me.

The downside is that most of the stuff I collect is only popular with guys my age and older (mostly older), so my heirs will have a hard time finding anyone to buy my books after I'm gone. It won't be my problem, though!

Help me with something please.  I’m sure it’s a simple enough explanation, and I just haven’t thought of it.

On their auctions, I may bid $757 on one item, $1291 on another.  This, as opposed to say a standard $750 or $1250.  

Very often, the price lands right on my max bid over time.  Like the exact dollar.  So often that it would statistically impossible without there being a good explanation.  I just can’t think of what it is.

On 8/1/2021 at 2:01 PM, szav said:

Not quite sure how to make sense of that statement...but let me suggest for your own benefit that you don't go digging too deep into Santa Claus's story or you may end up a bit disappointed.

Jolly red and white Santy Claus so Coke could sell more Coke 😭

On 8/14/2021 at 9:44 AM, eschnit said:

Help me with something please.  I’m sure it’s a simple enough explanation, and I just haven’t thought of it.

On their auctions, I may bid $757 on one item, $1291 on another.  This, as opposed to say a standard $750 or $1250.  

Very often, the price lands right on my max bid over time.  Like the exact dollar.  So often that it would statistically impossible without there being a good explanation.  I just can’t think of what it is.

It's not really explainable.  I suspect there's some "bidding" by the auction companies so that prices paid are higher.  For instance, it's late in the auction and I may have a max bid of $500 and the current bid is $250 with a $25 bid increase minimum.  Despite this, a bid as time expires will be accepted at $325, forcing me to pay $350 rather than $250.  I'm pretty sure this is an auction house phony bid.  If they wanted to be fair about it, the minimum allowable bid should be $25 above my max in this example.  That's the only way to eliminate the shill bidding.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:44 AM, eschnit said:

If you are talking Heritage, I've noticed that too. In fact this last time it both cost me a book I wanted and, I think, it saved me money. On one book I put an early bid in and let it ride. When it came up for auction it quickly got to the bid level just below my max. The Cut Bid was off. As the timer counted down 3,2,1 I swear the bid jumped to my max and I won. The next book I used the Live Proxy bidding and put in a very large bid. The next day, remembering my previous experience, I cut my proxy bid in half. Then when the book came up for sale I live bid and won for a few hundred less than my max. I tried that on a third book, got distracted and lost during the live bid.

If memory serves, Heritage has stated that nobody knows, at Heritage, your max bid. This can be technically true if they are using a program to automatically jump to your max, or just below. It can also be legal since the auction house bidding, so called shill bidding, is legal in Texas.

I had sworn I was not going to bid on heritage anymore but then the Promise Collection pulled me back in.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:44 AM, eschnit said:

As a frequent bidder in all three major auction houses, I can say this:  On many, many occasions, I have obtained a book for several bid levels below my highest bid in both Heritage and Clink auctions.  For whatever reason, I have never won a ComicConnect book for any amount other than my highest bid.  For that reason, in contrast to my approach with HA and CL, I rarely pad my CC bids before the auction starts.

Edited by RareHighGrade

On 8/14/2021 at 5:40 PM, DanCooper said:

It's possible that the bidding systems are set up like this:

Let's say the current high bid is $400 and bidding increments are $50. You place your $757 bid

You are now the high bidder at $450 and no one else is currently bidding.

Bidding then starts heating up again and raises each bid by $50, including yours.

When someone bids to the $750 level, the system sees a higher amount bid logged prior (yours at $757) and makes you the high bidder at $757 than the person at $750. The system won't ignore your max even if it is not in line with the $50 increments.

You wouldn't be able to place a $757 bid if the level was already at $750 with no other bids in the system. But, since you already placed a max bid earlier, the system will take that into consideration when the level gets to that amount.

Not saying this is gospel, just a possibility.

That makes sense.  I think you’re likely right. 

There are a few interesting things offered over here (my greedy side refuses to say which, exactly), but there’s so much noise going on over at Heritage that I may sneak away with a few things under the radar. Then again, youse guys are probably hiding in the all grass, waiting to spring

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost