• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2022 at 6:09 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

No I think that's a fair assessment. It's just the 9.4 could only barely break $400K at auction, and only sold with a bidder throwing in a post auction offer to get to the eventual sale price over $500K. This 8.5 has been trimmed, and I agree with @Funny Books that should solidly affect this potential sale, well one would think since trimming is usually a death sentence. I could just as easily see it doing what you're thinking, but my gut tells me closer to the $200K-$250K mark.

Firstly, the $575 sale is before 15% buyers fee added - so it's like a $660 sale. With restored keys, the difference between 9.4 and 8.5 (given all else the same) is not that much price wise. The 8.5 is an A3  (more desirable than an A5), but the trimming will subsequently bring it down. Sooooo, at the end of the day, my guess would be around 400K minimum. If it wasn't trimmed, I could easily see it up there with the 9.4 sale.

Edited by fishbone

On 6/14/2022 at 1:09 PM, fishbone said:

Firstly, the $575 sale is before 15% buyers fee added - so it's like a $660 sale. With restored keys, the difference between 9.4 and 8.5 (given all else the same) is not that much price wise. The 8.5 is an A3  (more desirable than an A5), but the trimming will subsequently bring it down. Sooooo, at the end of the day, my guess would be around 400K minimum. If it wasn't trimmed, I could easily see it up there with the 9.4 sale.

Hmmm, ok, well will be interesting to see where it hammers at then.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:09 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

No I think that's a fair assessment. It's just the 9.4 could only barely break $400K at auction, and only sold with a bidder throwing in a post auction offer to get to the eventual sale price over $500K. This 8.5 has been trimmed, and I agree with @Funny Books that should solidly affect this potential sale, well one would think since trimming is usually a death sentence. I could just as easily see it doing what you're thinking, but my gut tells me closer to the $200K-$250K mark.

It will sell for more than the 9.4 ext copy i think.

On 6/15/2022 at 2:25 PM, Mr bla bla said:

It will sell for more than the 9.4 ext copy i think.

So less resto + trimming > more resto. Everyone seems to be in the same boat but me. Looking forward to watching this one.

On 6/15/2022 at 8:21 PM, szav said:

They usually add the 15% onto the reported sale price after the auction.  I’m not totally sure but it looks like 500k +15% = 575k is what happened.

that's what I would have thought, but their sight indicates the $575 is before the 15% ...... but it could be an error ......

On 6/21/2022 at 9:38 PM, batman_fan said:

My experience is for both stickers, some look real nice and some look pretty bad.  At this point I just look at the scan myself and decide.

I'm dismissive of fourth party surface-to-err stickers, ...but very familiar with sticker shock.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:44 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 6/9/2022 at 9:42 PM, dannyboy said:

What did the Punch 12 5.5 go for?

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/947349

On 6/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, manetteska said:

Close; both copies (CC and Pawn Stars) are CGC 5.5 with owner notations; however, CC is Jon Berk w/ tape; Pawn Stars is Nic Cage no tape.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:53 PM, dannyboy said:

That's a healthy price.  Thank you kind sir.

Most definitely a very strong and healthy price, but even more so considering the rather innovative and unique strategy used to achieve this price point.  Then again, it is what it is and if it works, who's to argue against it.  (thumbsu

Note to self before selling a book:  hm

Tear a piece off the back cover, then tape it back up, send it into CGC for a lower grade, then net a triple bagger from its original purchase price upon resale:  :banana:  lol

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/716268

pun1.144b.jpg

Yep, getting $71,300 for a CGC 5.5 graded copy is definitely a real winner when you paid only $22,500 for the exact same book when it was a CGC 6.5 graded copy a few years ago.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

On 6/27/2022 at 5:34 PM, lou_fine said:

Most definitely a very strong and healthy price, but even more so considering the rather innovative and unique strategy used to achieve this price point.  Then again, it is what it is and if it works, who's to argue against it.  (thumbsu

Note to self before selling a book:  hm

Tear a piece off the back cover, then tape it back up, send it into CGC for a lower grade, then net a triple bagger from its original purchase price upon resale:  :banana:  lol

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/716268

pun1.144b.jpg

Yep, getting $71,300 for a CGC 5.5 graded copy is definitely a real winner when you paid only $22,500 for the exact same book when it was a CGC 6.5 graded copy a few years ago.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

:whatthe:

On 6/10/2022 at 8:15 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I’m slumming near the .5s and 1.0s and was  shocked that Suspense Comics #8 CGC .5 with entire book split and brittle pages went for $2800 final hammer…:whatthe:

Rare book indeed, but $2800? Can someone clue me in to what I might be missing?

Well, have you ever heard of another couple of L.B. Cole classic cover books, namely Mask 1 and Mask 2, which have seen parabolic prices increases the past few years as they have been finding their way into the marketplace?  hm

Especially since many long time collectors consider Suspense 8 to not only be of equal quality and desirability as these two Mask Comics, but definitely much much tougher to find in the marketplace during the past several years.  It's quite possible that collectors might feel that they missed the boat on the Mask Comics and don't want to end up missing the boat on the Suspense 8 while the ship is still "sitting on the dock" when compared to where the two Mask comics are?  (shrug)  :takeit:

On 6/27/2022 at 9:02 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, have you ever heard of another couple of L.B. Cole classic cover books, namely Mask 1 and Mask 2, which have seen parabolic prices increases the past few years as they have been finding their way into the marketplace?

I can see that. There are those mega books that just start going past the untouchable range for the average collector, and that paves the way for other “new” mega books that have much more room to grow into those high valuations. 

On 6/27/2022 at 9:12 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I can see that. There are those mega books that just start going past the untouchable range for the average collector, and that paves the way for other “new” mega books that have much more room to grow into those high valuations. 

Yes, I guess these kind of books do sometimes tend to move in cycles because wasn't it only a short couple of years ago that Overstreet used to have the Suspense 8 at a noticeably higher price point than both of the Mask Comics.  And yet, if you look at the most recent edition of the Price Guide, he's now got Mask 1 perched at $30K while Suspense 8 is still sitting at only $8,900 in top of guide.  :whatthe:

Then again, it's kind of hard to guage the true valuation of a book like Suspense 8 when it still appears to be tightly held and locked away in private collections with its rather limited 2 or 3 sales (if that) a year, as compared to both of the once thought to be HTF Mask Comics which has seemingly shown up in almost every other major auction during the past few years.  hm  (shrug)

On 6/27/2022 at 11:12 PM, Dr. Balls said:

This is true and speculation will likely continue to drive prices of mega books throughout the spectrum of GA regardless of whatever is the new flavor of the month.   Most collectors are feeling priced out of the market to some extent (getting into "No Country for Old Men" levels of speculator competitiveness).  What I try to tell collectors who'll listen is that best way to avoid the speculator's hamster-wheel of bankruptcy is by either a) expanding choices (not targeting runs) or ...if obsessed by the objective of completing a run... b) pick up inexpensive filler books from the replica market.  Reproduction comics will never replace originals, especially graded copies, but they fit nicely into incomplete runs.  

IMO, this is a great alternative to "cashing out" in a skyrocketing money-is-no-object market. 

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale added!

On 6/28/2022 at 2:29 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

This is true and speculation will likely continue to drive prices of mega books throughout the spectrum of GA regardless of whatever is the new flavor of the month.   Most collectors are feeling priced out of the market to some extent (getting into "No Country for Old Men" levels of speculator competitiveness).  What I try to tell collectors who'll listen is that best way to avoid the speculator's hamster-wheel of bankruptcy is by either a) expanding choices (not targeting runs) or ...if obsessed by the objective of completing a run... b) pick up inexpensive filler books from the replica market.  Reproduction comics will never replace originals, especially graded copies, but they fit nicely into incomplete runs.  

IMO, this is a great alternative to "cashing out" in a skyrocketing money-is-no-object market. 

:cheers:

I've picked up a couple of books lately, and I've been the underbidder on quite a few others. I haven't been that aggressive, so I think prices must be softening a bit. Throughout last year, most of my bids weren't even close—on anything.

On 6/21/2022 at 7:38 PM, batman_fan said:
On 6/21/2022 at 7:32 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Is a QES sticker even more sought after than a CVA sticker?

My experience is for both stickers, some look real nice and some look pretty bad.  At this point I just look at the scan myself and decide.

And as some boardies have stated here, I guess this is where the old axiom kicks in.....................buy the book as opposed to buying the sticker or the label, especially when they are so subjective, and as history has shown us, clearly subject to artificial manipulation in the case of the latter.  (thumbsu