• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2024 at 2:06 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Those are strong prices.  The Tec #8 in 1.8 for over $17K, and the Tec #6 in 4.5 for over $13K were also strong prices. 

Haven't checked them all, but passed my laptop when this 'Tec 8 in CGC 1.8 came up and was totally shocked that this relatively lower grade copy went for so much more than the other pre-hero Detective books.  :whatthe:  :applause:

On 3/20/2024 at 7:22 PM, podboy66 said:

Just paid record prices for some Centaurs from Jon Berk's collection.  These things are rarer than a hen's tooth!!  You had amazing taste in comics Jon, RIP.

Were these Centaurs the ones from the Sunday portion of the auction or the ones from the Wednesday portion of the auction because Jon's books were all included as part of the Sunday portion while the Phil Cole portion with many of the Centaurs took place on Wednesday and Thursday?  hm

I tried to bid on a few of Jon's Centaurs on Sunday, but no luck as they went too high for me.  The same for the Centaurs from the PACole Collection on Wednesday and two which I noticed in terms of their results were the following:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1032631

det3.39.jpg

Certainly not one of your high profile in-demand Centaur books, but I imagine a rare and HTF one with only 7 graded copies (i.e. 4 Universal and 3 Restored) with this lowest graded 3.0 Restored PLOD copy still being able to fetch $3,680.  :whatthe:  :applause:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1032298

ama2.264.jpg

Love all of the early Amazing Mystery Funnies covers, but sadly discovered them far too late only after they had already gone up so much in price, with this AMF V2 #2 being one of the more in-demand covers with its beautiful colors.  Clearly evident with this copy here fetching $7,015 which is most likely a record price for a copy in this CGC 4.5 condition grade level.  :luhv:

On 3/21/2024 at 7:28 PM, lou_fine said:

Like the example posted above, I think it should be pretty obvious that similar to the Heritage auctions, the bids DURING and prior to the end of the auctions are the hammer bids only and DO NOT include the 15% BP juice and 20% BP juice in the case of the Heritage lots.  :gossip:

After the auctions are over, the winning bids for BOTH HA and CC do include the BP juice as you really cannot bid by anything less than whole dollars:  (thumbsu

All you need to do is to simply divide the posted winning bid of $1,726.15 by 1.15 to come up with the winning hammer bid of $1,501 for this copy of Funny Pages 7.   Not sure why you would need to know the intermediate hammer bid though since it really doesn't mean much after the auction is over.  hm  (shrug)

jeepers! I just wanted to know what the books were going for in the end. Tough crowd (shrug)

On 3/22/2024 at 11:41 AM, batman_fan said:
On 3/22/2024 at 11:35 AM, buttock said:

I'm going to flip through it tonight, maybe we can talk this weekend about strategizing!

At least the catalog has images, that's a big step forward

At the rate CC are going, their catalogs (and maybe online listings) are going to look like old school mail order catalogs soon.

image.jpeg.02ad1350616885cc526e355ccc7123ac.jpeg

On 3/22/2024 at 9:34 AM, tth2 said:

At the rate CC are going, their catalogs (and maybe online listings) are going to look like old school mail order catalogs soon.

:takeit:

Tell Friedlander I'll take all those, not crossed out/sold, plus a Plymouth Superbird to go!

On 3/22/2024 at 7:34 AM, tth2 said:

On occasion I had someone mail me a color copy prior to committing to a book.  Those were the days! 

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 8:50 AM, buttock said:

On occasion I had someone mail me a color copy prior to committing to a book.  Those were the days! 

I bet I still have a few of the scans I got in a box someplace, color printouts were expensive back then

Edited by batman_fan

On 3/22/2024 at 10:49 PM, DanCooper said:

Tell Friedlander I'll take all those, not crossed out/sold, plus a Plymouth Superbird to go!

Very good, you immediately spotted what this catalog was for! (worship)

You'll have to get in line behind me for the books, but you can have the car. :peace:

On 3/22/2024 at 9:06 AM, batman_fan said:

I bet I still have a few of the scans I got in a box someplace, color printouts were expensive back then

I think it was something like "$3 for a scan, but if you buy the book no charge"

On 3/22/2024 at 1:18 AM, lou_fine said:

Were these Centaurs the ones from the Sunday portion of the auction or the ones from the Wednesday portion of the auction because Jon's books were all included as part of the Sunday portion while the Phil Cole portion with many of the Centaurs took place on Wednesday and Thursday?  hm

I tried to bid on a few of Jon's Centaurs on Sunday, but no luck as they went too high for me.  The same for the Centaurs from the PACole Collection on Wednesday and two which I noticed in terms of their results were the following:  (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1032631

det3.39.jpg

Certainly not one of your high profile in-demand Centaur books, but I imagine a rare and HTF one with only 7 graded copies (i.e. 4 Universal and 3 Restored) with this lowest graded 3.0 Restored PLOD copy still being able to fetch $3,680.  :whatthe:  :applause:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1032298

ama2.264.jpg

Love all of the early Amazing Mystery Funnies covers, but sadly discovered them far too late only after they had already gone up so much in price, with this AMF V2 #2 being one of the more in-demand covers with its beautiful colors.  Clearly evident with this copy here fetching $7,015 which is most likely a record price for a copy in this CGC 4.5 condition grade level.  :luhv:

These were from Sunday

IMG_0040.png

IMG_0041.png

On 3/22/2024 at 5:41 PM, podboy66 said:

These were from Sunday

IMG_0040.png

Well Sir, clearly you've got great taste in books as I knew that Jon had held this book back from his initial big auction back in 2017 and was hoping to be able to snag it whenever it did come available.  :taptaptap:  :wishluck:

Absolutely love the colors on this book here along with its relatively rarity, but just was not willing to go over a hammer bid of $2K for it, considering that it was Moderately Restored.  Now, if it was only Slightly Restored for such a rare book, then that would have been a different story.  Of course the other bidders like you would have also been willing to go much higher then.  (shrug)

Anyways, big time congrats to you on winning such a beautiful book and I am sure it will be a wonderful addition to your collection for a long time to come.  :applause: