• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

Just looked at the offerings for today and wowza..................can't believe there's finally a copy of this extremely rare and HTF book that's hitting the auction block later today:  :whatthe:   :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1023684

ace2.926.jpg

Certainly not a book you see that often and one that came out a few months before Action 1 and features the first appearance of the Phantom.  (thumbsu

Looks like the last time Heritage had one was way back in 2010 when they sold the still CGC highest graded 7.5 copy for a mere for a mere $1,673 which was resold at CC for $4,800 a few years later in $4,800.  Looks like the last copy sold was only a CGC 0.5 graded copy which still managed to fetched $580 in a CC Auction at the start of 2015.  :applause:

It will definitely be interesting to see where this CGC 4.5 graded copy finishes up at by the time it's all said and done.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

On 3/19/2024 at 7:21 PM, Dark Knight said:

Screenshot_20240319_182045_Chrome.jpg

What are thoughts on this?  Seems in line with sales over the past 2 years, but it's not a book that I expect to stagnate.  

6.5 is a pretty high grade for it, but just shy of a must have for million dollar buyers. So price wouldn't necessarily march upward on every opportunity if a few eligible buyers arent willing to go all out on a copy in a particular auction.  I guess.  I mean 1.8 is probably record price, or equal to prior sales (cant recall)  and 6 times what 6's sold for a decade ago.

Edited by Aman619

On 3/21/2024 at 7:37 AM, Dark Knight said:

Superman #1 CGC 1.0 sold for $90,000.  What's kind of interesting is that this book first sold in March of 2022 for $141k.  A year later in March 2023, it sold for $101k. And today of course in March sold for less.  Maybe in March of 2025, we will see this same copy up for auction in CC again lol

Seems to be doing a good imitation of a Promise book.

On 3/20/2024 at 11:37 PM, Dark Knight said:

Superman #1 CGC 1.0 sold for $90,000.  What's kind of interesting is that this book first sold in March of 2022 for $141k.  A year later in March 2023, it sold for $101k. And today of course in March sold for less.  Maybe in March of 2025, we will see this same copy up for auction in CC again lol

I'll be a bidder and hope to win it at 70 :banana:

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 3/21/2024 at 3:11 AM, Gotham Kid said:

I'll be a bidder and hope to win it at 70 :banana:

I'd stay away from it until CGC starts differentiating between the original and the two early reprints. That house of cards has to fall eventually.

On 3/19/2024 at 2:34 PM, ThothAmon said:

Amongst many. Lots of potential jigsaw pieces. Hard not to overpay. 

IMG_1553.jpeg

curious, are those final hammer prices on those early TEC's with the 15% juice?

On 3/21/2024 at 6:16 AM, Courageous Cat said:

curious, are those final hammer prices on those early TEC's with the 15% juice?

I’m curious as to what they hammered at also. I fell asleep 😴. The two I personally was hoping to bid on were the 5 and 20.  Those purple labels didn’t bother me much as my 6 is purple MH! Couldn’t abide the 12s paper quality and missing corner and the others weren’t upgrades or had issues. 

On 3/20/2024 at 10:22 PM, podboy66 said:

Just paid record prices for some Centaurs from Jon Berk's collection.  These things are rarer than a hen's tooth!!  You had amazing taste in comics Jon, RIP.

Lucky you.  The AMans were the highlights of the auction for me. The 5 and 6 were both incredible as were a bunch of the others. Gonna be a long time before another bus like that comes along. 

On 3/21/2024 at 6:43 AM, Courageous Cat said:

very very strong results.22 blows me away. great cover and tough book, but 2.5....damnnnn

Nothing surprises me because many collectors have little to no impulse control. If they want a book, they want it now, and they don't care if they overpay.

On 3/21/2024 at 10:06 AM, Professor K said:

Compared to most other Comics Magazine/Centaurs the #1 went low. 

Opera Snapshot_2024-03-21_114728_www.comicconnect.com.png

I'm thinking that was a decent result for a 3.5  PK