• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 3/17/2024 at 8:41 PM, adamstrange said:

The Larsons offered in the sale were issues with low census counts and from currently sought after publishers. 

I was surprised by the results, but not overly so.

I want to say the Mystery Men 3 hammered for close to what the Mile High sold for to Tim (not the 2nd go around)

On 3/17/2024 at 10:52 PM, batman_fan said:

I want to say the Mystery Men 3 hammered for close to what the Mile High sold for to Tim (not the 2nd go around)

$57K for the Church copy.

On 3/17/2024 at 7:33 PM, batman_fan said:

I am the person who ran the bidding up that high but didn't win it.  I wanted it because it was a Larson with "Larson" written on it.

Well, if you like the "Larson" written on a Larson book, then did you also run up the bidding on this Whirlwind 2 here as it sold for $3,680:  lol

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/733104

whi4.18.jpg

On 3/17/2024 at 7:41 PM, adamstrange said:

The Larsons offered in the sale were issues with low census counts and from currently sought after publishers. 

I was surprised by the results, but not overly so.

Well, I guess we'll find out how true the Larson pedigree is for driving up the price later this week when we see how this equivalent 5th highest graded CGC 7.0 non-pedigree copy of Whirlwind 1 does in the Wednesday portion of CC's Event Auction here: :popcorn:   :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1027202

whi4.27_1.jpg

Especially since I checked after the Whirlwind 2 $3,680 result and saw that the price point for this supposedly more higher valued and key copy of Whirlwind 1 with the origin and first appearance of Cyclone rocketed immediately all the way up to a whopping $310 from the already rather scintillating $82 penthouse suite that it had been basking in for the past week or so.  lol  :takeit: 

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/13/2024 at 7:48 AM, woowoo said:

I thought like this also the real bids will go crazy in last 3 min. I told my girlfriend look at this Marvel Mystery 2 at 8800 in cgc 4.5 this was 2020.

I said it will go for 15k easy in the last 3 min she said I was crazy, so I showed her I bid 10k and said now watch and learn.

the hammer hit and I won the bid no extra bidding :facepalm: I don't even collect Timleys, so I just put the book away.

I have been happy since 2 years later this happened ComicConnect - MARVEL MYSTERY #2 - CGC FA/GD: 1.5 

Than Ha happened. 

mar2.2000_7.jpg

Marvel Mystery Comics #2 (Timely, 1939) CGC VG+ 4.5 Off-white to | Lot #92052 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Marvel Mystery Comics #2 (Timely, 1939) CGC VG+ 4.5 Off-white to white pages....

Thanks to Clark @GreatCaesarsGhost for my purchase of this book. I really appreciate his help on this sale for me to get the Marvel 2. Thank you, buddy.

With respect to low census count books and big price jumps at the end, I was sure that I would be able to land my first Chesler book when I saw this dreadfully boring of a cover book going for only a couple of hundred dollars earlier in the day:  :banana:  :takeit:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/732990

sco1.34.jpg

Sadly, not meant to be as some fool of a bidder ran the price all the way up to a stratospheric $8,200 by the time it was all said and done. :frustrated: :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/17/2024 at 8:55 PM, batman_fan said:

A few I was watching/bidding on.  Made someone pay a lot more for one of them.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 6.48.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 6.49.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 6.51.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 6.52.00 PM.png

I didn't think the Funny Pages would go that high. And I thought the Mystery Men 3 would go a little higher. 

A couple more Larsons I liked in this one. And congrats to the winner of the Rockford Silver Streak 14. Awesome cover.  

Opera Snapshot_2024-03-18_002759_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-03-18_002909_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-03-18_003028_www.comicconnect.com.png

On 3/18/2024 at 7:04 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

I was happy to add the Berk copy of this relatively tough (13 blue labels) last issue of the Eagle. Red Cross ambulance WWII cover. It’s a fun subset hahaha!! 

IMG_2280.jpeg

Congratulations Gino! Amazing pick up.:cheers:

On 3/17/2024 at 9:53 PM, lou_fine said:

Just about to go in and take a look at the offerings for CC's Event Auction tomorrow and boy, talk about invisible comics, but is anybody here planning to bid on all of these lots with the Nicholas Cage comic book frames, as they are all going for around $1,400 with still another day to go:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1032968

com61.74.jpg

imagine the cosmic injustice of me using this frame to display my Iron Man 55 in place of Nic’s Action 1.  It’s almost irresistible 

seriously, I’d be too afraid the book would fade or crash to the ground 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 3/17/2024 at 9:53 PM, lou_fine said:

Just about to go in and take a look at the offerings for CC's Event Auction tomorrow and boy, talk about invisible comics, but is anybody here planning to bid on all of these lots with the Nicholas Cage comic book frames, as they are all going for around $1,400 with still another day to go:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1032968

com61.74.jpg

These are actually pretty cool. Seems like at least 10 years ago when they were first offered by CC? 

On 3/18/2024 at 8:44 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes I remember that too. I wonder if Jon Berk picked them up

Highly doubt that as they would have been in the Jon Berk portion of the auction which took place on Sunday if that was the case.  (thumbsu

On 3/18/2024 at 11:44 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes I remember that too. I wonder if Jon Berk picked them up

I never saw them on any of my visits.  He had enough difficulty finding wall space for all of his original art.

On 3/18/2024 at 7:05 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

imagine the cosmic injustice of me using this frame to display my Iron Man 55 in place of Nic’s Action 1.  It’s almost irresistible 

seriously, I’d be too afraid the book would fade or crash to the ground 

I wouldn't think twice about it, seems like an Action #1 comes up for auction just as much as an IM #55. In comparison you rarely see high grade Tex #27's or MC#1's up for sale (or at least with the same frequency as an AC#1). I get the cache of it being the first big Superhero book but personally I'd rather own a Tec #27. The constant sales and resales kind of takes away a bit of its mystique. 

On 3/18/2024 at 11:54 PM, adamstrange said:

his original art

All hail John Berk (Gustavson too). 

Found this article when looking for a little more info on the “PACole collection “. Thinking about giving Mr. Cole some of my money tonight.  Is he a boardie?

https://homenewshere.com/wilmington_town_crier/news/article_f4b36224-cb83-11ee-b7bd-6f06c6092d8a.html

It’s all about the page quality. 

image.jpg

On 3/19/2024 at 6:52 AM, ThothAmon said:

Is he a boardie?

Hi is indeed! @Pacole

Phil is a great guy - top notch! We've done quite a few deals together over the years behind the scenes, usually involving him buying my EC undercopies (I also sold him that Phantom Lady #17 :cry:  :D ).