• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,515 posts in this topic

On 11/22/2023 at 10:26 PM, captainzombie said:

You guys have made some really solid points in this thread. I've done my own soul searching this past year and have come to the realization that we can't hold on to everything and consolidating sometimes is the best course of action. It is one reason as to why I have been turning to Omnibi for runs that I have liked if available, and just get rid of the floppies. If there is a key in that run that I like, I would like to have that book slabbed in a 9.8 for the PC and just getting rid of the rest of the books.

I even collect Transformers toys, and those can be some of the worst due to the amount of molds that get reused for other characters that are similar. I learned that it was one thing that got out of hand, I've learned to just now concentrate on main characters and ones that I really like.

That’s not easy! What you’re doing is extremely difficult and, quite frankly, never ending… always having to check and keep in balance. 
I commend you on that journey and on those efforts. 

I am definitely not the best, and still slip up, buying things, but essentially I try to have 1 or 2 issues of a favourite series, in something I can be proud of, like, as an example, Dark Knight Returns 1 9.8 Signed Frank Miller, and that’s that. That’s my one celebration book for that series. I try to cap my CGC Collection to… 30 books? It grows to 50, then I try to shred down again. And whenever I do sell off some things, usually the same suspects stick around. 

For reading, collected series are the way to go!

Cheers to the on going battle :cheers:

On 11/22/2023 at 9:50 PM, D2 said:

That’s not easy! What you’re doing is extremely difficult and, quite frankly, never ending… always having to check and keep in balance. 
I commend you on that journey and on those efforts. 

I am definitely not the best, and still slip up, buying things, but essentially I try to have 1 or 2 issues of a favourite series, in something I can be proud of, like, as an example, Dark Knight Returns 1 9.8 Signed Frank Miller, and that’s that. That’s my one celebration book for that series. I try to cap my CGC Collection to… 30 books? It grows to 50, then I try to shred down again. And whenever I do sell off some things, usually the same suspects stick around. 

For reading, collected series are the way to go!

Cheers to the on going battle :cheers:

It is very difficult at times and can feel like a never ending battle.

I think what you are doing is smart in having 1-2 issues from your favorite issues, and having those slabbed is a plus. That way you can have that 1 cool and very good book from the series that you enjoy. That is what I am trying to get to eventually.

I'd rather have 50 really good books as slabs, than have 40 long boxes of books just sitting there taking up space. Which leads to then picking up the Omnibi and Collections for reading and re-reading stories down the road that I really like. If there is something I don't think I'll re-read, I can always sell that collected edition.

On 11/22/2023 at 11:08 PM, captainzombie said:

It is very difficult at times and can feel like a never ending battle.

I think what you are doing is smart in having 1-2 issues from your favorite issues, and having those slabbed is a plus. That way you can have that 1 cool and very good book from the series that you enjoy. That is what I am trying to get to eventually.

I'd rather have 50 really good books as slabs, than have 40 long boxes of books just sitting there taking up space. Which leads to then picking up the Omnibi and Collections for reading and re-reading stories down the road that I really like. If there is something I don't think I'll re-read, I can always sell that collected edition.

As long as I have something.. some sort of collection, it will always be a battle. 

I met this guy several months ago, buying a slab off him. We got to chatting comics. He said he was only selling these for a friend, but he used to be a huge collector himself. I asked him, what happened? He said he gave it up cold turkey. He sold every single book. He echoed the same thing we are talking about. He couldn’t have that steady and constant struggle anymore. It went away when he sold every last book. He said as a collector, he moved on to records, because, he liked music, and he spends a lot less money. 

A long story, but it was interesting for me to see how, this collecting-aura we have, if you will, it really is a part of us. Even after selling the books, he had to move on and collect something else.

Selling floppies sucks too. I had thousands and thousands of floppies. Oh god, took me the better part of 6 years to offload them all. Because I didn’t want to take a huge hit and lose all the money I paid to get them. I still lost money though I’m sure… and the haggling and back and forth… what’s the condition, is that a ding in the book? You say NM+ but can I see more than the 12 pictures you posted? Pft… slabs, easy to sell. Collected editions, same deal. Easy peasy, as far as selling goes.

On 11/22/2023 at 11:39 PM, D2 said:

As long as I have something.. some sort of collection, it will always be a battle. 

I met this guy several months ago, buying a slab off him. We got to chatting comics. He said he was only selling these for a friend, but he used to be a huge collector himself. I asked him, what happened? He said he gave it up cold turkey. He sold every single book. He echoed the same thing we are talking about. He couldn’t have that steady and constant struggle anymore. It went away when he sold every last book. He said as a collector, he moved on to records, because, he liked music, and he spends a lot less money. 

A long story, but it was interesting for me to see how, this collecting-aura we have, if you will, it really is a part of us. Even after selling the books, he had to move on and collect something else.

Selling floppies sucks too. I had thousands and thousands of floppies. Oh god, took me the better part of 6 years to offload them all. Because I didn’t want to take a huge hit and lose all the money I paid to get them. I still lost money though I’m sure… and the haggling and back and forth… what’s the condition, is that a ding in the book? You say NM+ but can I see more than the 12 pictures you posted? Pft… slabs, easy to sell. Collected editions, same deal. Easy peasy, as far as selling goes.

That has to be quite wild to sell it all cold turkey, unless you really need the money to unload the books. I can see where someone does it and then feels good about it afterwards. Even records at times can be expensive, nowhere near comic books, but depending on what you are collecting. If he found solace with the records and it was cheaper overall, can't blame him there.

Everyone collects so differently, and for the most part our generations are collectors while the much younger generations don't care about collecting much at all. It will be interesting to see how things go in the future.

I have been taking the same approach you have with the floppies. I won't give them up for nothing and will take my time to sell through my floppies as I transition to omnibus collecting and keeping key floppies and my CGC slabs. The good thing is that I also do sell slabs to help fund some of this hobby.

On 11/23/2023 at 11:28 AM, Cat said:

Awww yeah. Third and final Compendium arrived today. 

20231123_112630.thumb.jpg.85c16f1c0e382361b30ec3677105bef9.jpg

I'm cutting this into 9 nights of reading. Tonight I won't get my allocated issues in, and I was planning on 108 being my last issue. But HOLY :censored: THAT ENDING, I can't leave it there!! I DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING. 

Whoever put me onto this book - I hate you right now! 

On 11/27/2023 at 3:36 AM, bronze_rules said:

Some of the Taschen's (FF, XMEN, Frazetta, Avengers, History EC) are 100 on Target today. I still haven't brought myself to bite the bullet yet (on marvel libraries), but very tempting.

@Chip Cataldo

On 11/23/2023 at 12:39 PM, captainzombie said:

That has to be quite wild to sell it all cold turkey, unless you really need the money to unload the books. I can see where someone does it and then feels good about it afterwards. Even records at times can be expensive, nowhere near comic books, but depending on what you are collecting. If he found solace with the records and it was cheaper overall, can't blame him there.

Everyone collects so differently, and for the most part our generations are collectors while the much younger generations don't care about collecting much at all. It will be interesting to see how things go in the future.

I have been taking the same approach you have with the floppies. I won't give them up for nothing and will take my time to sell through my floppies as I transition to omnibus collecting and keeping key floppies and my CGC slabs. The good thing is that I also do sell slabs to help fund some of this hobby.

It’s a concern I also share. I have had this debate with people frequently on thr longevity of the hobby. Honestly there are valid arguments on both sides. From my perspective, I use my kids and friends’ kids as my pool of examples. Even though it’s not the largest sample group, I feel like it illustrates the same values, where the 2010s and up don’t read many comics. They didn’t grow up with them the same way that we do, and quite honestly, video games are so advanced now that kids just gravitate towards them.
Someone once said, why read Batman when you can BE Batman. Lurking in the shadows and punching bad guys’ heads through the walls. 

I think books will always be around, but the pool will slowly shrink and shrink.

So I say, collect what you like, read what you can, and enjoy it while it lasts. 

On 11/26/2023 at 12:36 PM, bronze_rules said:

Some of the Taschens (FF, XMEN, Frazetta, Avengers, History EC) are 100 on Target today. I still haven't brought myself to bite the bullet yet (on marvel libraries), but very tempting.

Thank you.
If the order actually goes through, I was able to pickup the Frazetta book) :whee:

On 11/23/2023 at 6:40 AM, Ryan. said:

I tore through this. The stories inside the book are amazing. The binding of the book itself is trash.

image.png.2c27a36e21163ddc005df9f960f79ba8.png

Really??

So this series was a classic, buy first, read second - mistake for me. 

I bought the martini collections AND managed to track down each signed nycc and sdcc Darwyn hardcovers. It took years. 

THEN I read it. 
I hated it. 
I hated them so much that I sold them all lol 

Just goes to show, we can all like something different (shrug)

On 11/27/2023 at 8:34 AM, D2 said:

Really??

So this series was a classic, buy first, read second - mistake for me. 

I bought the martini collections AND managed to track down each signed nycc and sdcc Darwyn hardcovers. It took years. 

THEN I read it. 
I hated it. 
I hated them so much that I sold them all lol 

Just goes to show, we can all like something different (shrug)

Huh. No kidding. I guess it depends if you like crime noir. I thought Cooke did a great job turning the Parker novels into movies on the page.

On 11/27/2023 at 8:40 AM, Ryan. said:

Huh. No kidding. I guess it depends if you like crime noir. I thought Cooke did a great job turning the Parker novels into movies on the page.

So, that was actually why I bought them. I’m a huge crime noir nut. I am hooked on Brubaker, FM’s Sin City, and Blacksad (although the later volumes don’t do it for me). 

I did like how well Darwyn adapted things, but even his work wasn’t a slam dunk. The storytelling, sometimes was a bit jarring, and the 1 color tone bothered me more than I thought it would. 

Honestly I just hated the main character. I found him completely and utterly unlikeable. 
The story telling was good and it was interesting. Not flawless either, but I just hated Parker. He had no redeeming qualities to me. He felt like the standard 1 dimensional action hero with all tropes balled into one square jaw, which does make sense for the period it was written in.

That being said, I do love me a crime noir, and usually eat it up. So if you have any suggestions, I will absolutely check it out.

Right now I’m on Gun Honey. It’s good…

On 11/27/2023 at 9:07 AM, D2 said:

So, that was actually why I bought them. I’m a huge crime noir nut. I am hooked on Brubaker, FM’s Sin City, and Blacksad (although the later volumes don’t do it for me). 

I did like how well Darwyn adapted things, but even his work wasn’t a slam dunk. The storytelling, sometimes was a bit jarring, and the 1 color tone bothered me more than I thought it would. 

Honestly I just hated the main character. I found him completely and utterly unlikeable. 
The story telling was good and it was interesting. Not flawless either, but I just hated Parker. He had no redeeming qualities to me. He felt like the standard 1 dimensional action hero with all tropes balled into one square jaw, which does make sense for the period it was written in.

That being said, I do love me a crime noir, and usually eat it up. So if you have any suggestions, I will absolutely check it out.

Right now I’m on Gun Honey. It’s good…

I enjoyed this.

image.png.9b724614ddebf3be2c7fffc9f5c51830.png