• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

838 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2022 at 9:18 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s a good price. This book may just prove itself immune to the financial headwinds 

I was thinking just the other day about books that will never go down, or more precisely keep going up, and Mask #1 and 2 were the first that I thought of. 

On 12/16/2022 at 5:01 AM, Professor K said:

I was thinking just the other day about books that will never go down, or more precisely keep going up, and Mask #1 and 2 were the first that I thought of. 

I agree.  The others I put in this same category are Punch 12,  Pep 34 and Cinderella Love 25. And on a grander scale, Suspense 3 and that Lou Fine robot cover, the name of which escapes me now

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 12/16/2022 at 6:01 AM, Professor K said:

Agree...there are just so few copies out there, let alone HG copies (only 6 copies above Fine for #1, and 7 copies above Fine for #2), that there will be demand for ANY copy. This was a very nice 2.0 IMHO, that piece out of the bottom right is not obtrusive at all and is sort of hidden in the art. For whatever reason, a lot of low grade copies of both 1 and 2 have pieces missing out of the top edge which jumps out immediately given the black cover. Congrats to the new owner of this one! :golfclap:

On 12/16/2022 at 7:50 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I agree.  The others I put in this same category are Punch 12,  Pep 34 and Cinderella Love 25. And on a grander scale, Suspense 3 and that Lou Fine robot cover, the name of which escapes me now

Yep. And pretty much any Lou Fine cover. Suspense 3 to me is over-rated/priced but it is well loved so yeah it's one of them. Actually I think a lot of GA books especially the earlier ones with low pops will never decrease short of a zombie apocalypse or Earth drifting toward or away from the sun type situation.  The desire will always exceed the supply, at least I hope.  Good topic for a discussion this is. :peace:

On 12/16/2022 at 4:50 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

In terms of the classic Lou Fine robot cover, you must be referring to Fantastic 3 which long time collectors all remember being Fishler's go to book when he was trying to corner the market on that book when every copy came up for sale.  lol 

As for speaking of Pep 34, looks like a relatively strong result for this CGC 6.5 graded copy from their Event Auction last night as it hammered at $19,771 for a final price of $22,736.65:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/974072

pep1.1256_1.jpg

Not quite as strong as the CGC 5.5 graded copy which sold for an even stronger $23,199 in their December 2020 Event (must have been the QES sticker that did it :wink:), but much stronger than the $14,400 and $19,800 that Heritage was able to fetched respectively for their CGC 5.5 and CGC 6.5 graded copies later on in the so-called euphoric year of 2021.  (thumbsu

On 12/16/2022 at 5:42 PM, Courageous Cat said:

Blasphemy! Honestly, I'd put it right up there with Action 1 or MC 1

I know I know. Surely I must be mad to even suggest such a thing. It;s a great cover no doubt. A little grim for my taste, I mean no doubt that guy won't be able to take all those guys with just a spear. But maybe while his brutal murder is happening the girl will get away.  I think Suspense 3 cover is in Florida judging by the foliage. Lots of Nazi KKK human sacrifice activity happening in 1940's Florida I believe. :facepalm:

Edited by Professor K

On 12/17/2022 at 8:29 PM, comicjack said:

Suspense 3 is a shock cover rather than a hero book and will hold up as a classic.The fact that Alex did it which in my opinion was the greatest cover artist maker of the Golden age with no equal.That man know what it took to have one part with their money for a dime wasn't easy to come by back then :bigsmile:

The both Mask books are classic books also done by a master artist to catch ones eye i know he hooked me long ago.:banana:

On 12/17/2022 at 8:29 PM, comicjack said:

Suspense 3 is a shock cover rather than a hero book and will hold up as a classic.The fact that Alex did it which in my opinion was the greatest cover artist maker of the Golden age with no equal.That man know what it took to have one part with their money for a dime wasn't easy to come by back then :bigsmile:

On 12/17/2022 at 8:32 PM, comicjack said:

The both Mask books are classic books also done by a master artist to catch ones eye i know he hooked me long ago.:banana:

Completely agree with all that. I think what I like most about Suspense 3 is the coloring. The way they blend and how everything is illuminated by the moonlight.The cgc label says Shomburg cover , Cole art. 

Did L.B. do the inking for the cover? 

Edited by Professor K

On 12/17/2022 at 9:26 PM, Professor K said:

Completely agree with all that. I think what I like most about Suspense 3 is the coloring. The way they blend and how everything is illuminated by the moonlight.The cgc label says Shomburg cover , Cole art. 

Alex has the credits on that with data base but one has to question things that far back (thumbsu

On 12/17/2022 at 6:26 PM, Professor K said:

Completely agree with all that. I think what I like most about Suspense 3 is the coloring. The way they blend and how everything is illuminated by the moonlight.

Isn't that pretty much the same moonlight illumination that takes place earlier in the much more reasonably priced Suspense 1 cover image by Charles Quinlan: :bigsmile:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Suspense Comics #1 Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) pedigree (Continental Magazines, 1943) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Cream to off-white pages. T...

On 12/17/2022 at 9:26 PM, Professor K said:

Unlikely. The inking is consistent with Shomby's style and only rarely did someone else ink his pencils. 

What is special is the color design.  LB Cole was the art director and well known for his color design. I think he is responsible for that on Suspense 3.

I picked up Suspense 11 recently, as that is my personal favorite cover of the run, and with that now in the collection it makes me want Mask 2 even more to have the "set." Haven't seen Suspense 11 mentioned (though to be fair I did not read every single page in the thread), so I figured the twin devils needed a shoutout.