• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+ LOKI (2021)
12 12

794 posts in this topic

I enjoyed the first episode and look forward to where they go with this. Clearly this was table-setting for what’s to come so I don’t have an issue with footage from previous MCU films.  

Something's amiss at the Time Variance Authority. According to the show, the Time-Keepers exist to watch over one single timeline — the Sacred Timeline. Because of this, the TVA solely exists to prune branches off the main timeline. After a nexus event happens, TVA agents mobilize and "reset" that timeline, using their technology to essentially nuke that timeline so that it won't grow to the point it becomes its own reality.

Technically, this means that in the blink of an eye, the TVA ends up killing upwards of trillions across that respective universe — all for the good of the Sacred Timeline.

So, what does Kang have to do with all of this?

While the Time-Keepers aren't exactly heroes in their own right in the Marvel source material, Kang is often depicted as a more villainous individual than the group. Furthermore, the comic version of the Time-Keepers looks after multiple realities as opposed to one singular timeline.

How about this — Kang either killed or imprisoned the Time-Keepers so that he'd be able to control the timeline. Maybe that's why the TVA is so focused on pruning timelines before they reach the "Red Line." If they reach that point, the multiple timelines become too much for a character like Kang to watch over since he bit off more than he can chew.

:whatthe: :ohnoez:

Spoiler

If the TimeKeepers problem was Loki taking the tesseract and screwing up the timeline, why did they want to sentence him to death? Wouldn't that also screw the timeline? Then would they have to put themselves on trial for screwing up the timeline for killing Loki?

19 hours ago, D84 said:
  Hide contents

If the TimeKeepers problem was Loki taking the tesseract and screwing up the timeline, why did they want to sentence him to death? Wouldn't that also screw the timeline? Then would they have to put themselves on trial for screwing up the timeline for killing Loki?

This is why stories involving time travel can be so tricky at times. Especially when you are linking in the backstory of characters how they were involved in or influences events.

But yeah - perfect execution throughout all stories.

RobinHood.gif.63c8165c8df8367e483ed974c01cdc99.gif

Mediocre first episode. Not bad, not great.

Spoiler

The reveal that they're looking for another Loki was the only real interesting part, to me.

The TVA just throws yet another wrench into the works. Not buying the sacred timeline BS that they're selling.

Meh 1st episode.  It was good enough for me to keep watching it but I'm not expecting greatness after the 1st episode.

I wanna see if we can all agree on something, because this show has brought up old ideas...

In order for something odd to happen, something common must happen first, right? In order for there to be 2 Steve Rogers, there must first be a timeline in which there was only 1 Steve Rogers. If we follow this logic, then Prime MCU only has 1 Steve, and a branch reality has 2 (when he lived with Peggy).

People are out there saying that the "Sacred Timeline" always had 2 Caps. How can a 105-year old Steve exist in 1940 if he never got to 105 years old first? Am I making logical sense here?

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I wanna see if we can all agree on something, because this show has brought up old ideas...

In order for something odd to happen, something common must happen first, right? In order for there to be 2 Steve Rogers, there must first be a timeline in which there was only 1 Steve Rogers. If we follow this logic, then Prime MCU only has 1 Steve, and a branch reality has 2 (when he lived with Peggy).

People are out there saying that the "Sacred Timeline" always had 2 Caps. How can a 105-year old Steve exist in 1940 if he never got to 105 years old first? Am I making logical sense here?

So, to further move on that, the branch timeline that has the Steve that went back in time and stayed with Peggy, should have been destroyed by the TVA, correct?

3 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

So, to further move on that, the branch timeline that has the Steve that went back in time and stayed with Peggy, should have been destroyed by the TVA, correct?

If that were the case, Steve Rogers would be dead prior to living that long life, right? Based on Episode 1, it appears that too much reality change results in an amount of time that the TVA cannot destroy.

Edited to Add: If this is all true, I think that we can logically surmise the Loki that TVA is currently looking for is from 1945.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If that were the case, Steve Rogers would be dead prior to living that long life, right? Based on Episode 1, it appears that too much reality change results in an amount of time that the TVA cannot destroy.

And that is why I'm not a huge fan of time travel stories.  To me it seems like even the people writing it cannot keep their "laws/rules" straight.  In episode 1 of Loki the TVA went and destroyed the variant timeline shortly (like minutes) after Loki created it and in the little cartoon it said they destroyed all these variant time lines before they went on to long and hit the "red line" which would cause very bad things.  So you are telling me they let Steve start a new timeline and let it go for 60+ years?