• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+ LOKI (2021)
12 12

794 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Still not sure why he's named "Immortus," but my current guess that Stan didn't have in mind in Avengers #10 but was later ret-conned in is that it ties to the immortality granted to him by the Timekeepers ...."

I have been re-reading a fair amount of early Marvel hero (pre-1966) stories lately.  It is pretty cool how subsequent writers well into the Bronze, Copper and Modern Ages retconned the original source material written by Stan (and likely co-plotted with Jack) to expand the shared universe.  With the sheer volume of original characters created by Lee/Kirby, it is quite astonishing how cohesive the entire tapestry stands today.  So many writers (and editors) to credit, but special kudos go to Mark Gruenwald for the core storyline behind the "Loki" TV series.

5 hours ago, Bird said:

Majors was the only thing that I liked about the episode. He Who Remains is a distant future version of Kang, still megalomaniacal but weary. He laughed as he died! Loved it. I expected aggressive posturing and his take on He Who remains I thought was perfect. I expect the actor will use it as a reference for the Kang portrayal and expect Kang to act nothing like this guy did. I want Kang coming through a teleport gate firing his guns and wreaking havok with an army exploding through around him and still think I might get it. He Who Remains is like I am...expend energy? Been there done that...it better be a good reason to get me off this couch!

Majors's performance didn't land for me. I didn't get the stop-and-start line deliveries, and the sudden changes in tone and dialect. Maybe they were trying to show that he was some kind of schizo combination of all his variants. Or maybe he's gone bonkers. Or maybe he just wants the Lokis to think he's gone bonkers. Maybe future appearances, will clarify things in retrospect. This seems like a directing or writing issue, and not the actor's fault. Heath Ledger's Joker performance is an interesting comparison. Joker is chaotic and crazy, but also always in control, and the performance never feels muddled from beat to beat. The audience doesn't always need to know the character's motivations, but the actor should.

I also didn't get the choice he presented. Why were the only two options to kill Kang, or take over TVA? Were they trapped there?  If they had agreed to take over the TVA, then what? Does Kang just go on his merry way? Was there really an option that involved not killing him?

Overall, I think the show was pretty good. But it has always felt a bit muddled. Like the writers don't want to commit to a specific direction with their characters because they want to leave all their options open for future stories.

Edited by adampasz

21 minutes ago, adampasz said:

I also didn't get the choice he presented. Why were the only two options to kill Kang, or take over TVA? Were they trapped there?  If they had agreed to take over the TVA, then what? Does Kang just go on his merry way? Was there really an option that involved not killing him?

I didn't get it either, but no, there was no option that makes sense other than killing him.  Which itself doesn't make a ton of sense since if he knew they wouldn't take his place then he could've just stopped doing what he was doing if he wanted out.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

I didn't get it either, but no, there was no option that makes sense other than killing him.  Which itself doesn't make a ton of sense since if he knew they wouldn't take his place then he could've just stopped doing what he was doing if he wanted out.

I think, like Alice In Wonderland, that once you saw what was behind the curtain you can't unsee it. You can't just go back on your merry way from whence you came. So logically given what the Lokis went through, they should either take over TVA and govern it or kill Immortus and take their chances. 

12 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

This is where I thought the show was taking us as a secondary villain.

I don't understand why they just don't add this kind of stuff to the show if they already filmed it. I'm mean they are not limited on time technically and they only run about 45 minutes.

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 7/14/2021 at 10:50 PM, AJLewandoski said:

Kang isn't actually blue and purple it's his time travel suit. Doom wasn't supposed to be Nathaniel Richards, but was potentially an ancestor like Reed and Sue. His origin is complicated and never totally sussed out in any one interpretation because of all the time travel/multiverse shenanigans.

blue kang near bottom of link

I know I was wrong, but at some point isn't Kang really blue? He is in Earth X, he mutates and is blue. Then there are times Immortus poses as Kang, so that guy is white skin tone under a mask. 

It truly is confusing.

And what are the lines down his face? Tribal scars? Seams in a face plate?

Edited by Bird

39 minutes ago, Bird said:

blue kang near bottom of link

I know I was wrong, but at some point isn't Kang really blue? He is in Earth X, he mutates and is blue. Then there are times Immortus poses as Kang, so that guy is white skin tone under a mask. 

It truly is confusing.

And what are the lines down his face? Tribal scars? Seams in a face plate?

Oh yea I mean everything about Kang is confusing. I think the lines down his face are part of the face mask and seeing as it moves with his facial expressions it could have something to do with the technology to do that, but I don't think there's ever been any official explanation as to why they're there. Hell they could be purely decorative the man wears pinstriped pants and a belt OVER his shirt for God's sake lol 

My deep cut personal theory on that blue Kang picture. In Marvel Superheroes #18 when we're introduced to Vance Astro for his mission he's wearing a skin tight copper containment suit that's basically fused to his body (it's originally purple but later it's blue). The rationale is if he takes it off he'll age 1000 years rapidly after his interstellar journey and die. My assumption is Kangs may be similar to that because he travels between dimensions and times. (shrug)

1 hour ago, AJLewandoski said:

Oh yea I mean everything about Kang is confusing. I think the lines down his face are part of the face mask and seeing as it moves with his facial expressions it could have something to do with the technology to do that, but I don't think there's ever been any official explanation as to why they're there. Hell they could be purely decorative the man wears pinstriped pants and a belt OVER his shirt for God's sake lol 

My deep cut personal theory on that blue Kang picture. In Marvel Superheroes #18 when we're introduced to Vance Astro for his mission he's wearing a skin tight copper containment suit that's basically fused to his body (it's originally purple but later it's blue). The rationale is if he takes it off he'll age 1000 years rapidly after his interstellar journey and die. My assumption is Kangs may be similar to that because he travels between dimensions and times. (shrug)

I think the character design is great whatever the heck is going on.  The blue Kang picture is after Immortus is exposed to terrigen mists and mutates into Kang, again! But I think a skin tight thing makes the most sense. I like the lines but could never tell what they are. It goes with the hobby I guess. Kirby is having some great things posted on facebook by his heirs or such, colored pencil character designs and pinup shots, but many of the wonderful designs seem hard to imagine in movement. Or Dr Strange, how can he have any peripheral vision with that cloak? but it looks great.