• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2022 at 7:33 PM, batman_fan said:

yes, those are the two books.  I expect them to hammer at a real high price.

Looks to me like the 38 has wrong back cover like whiz 1 ? What's going on

Detective Comics #38 Incomplete - The Promise Collection Pedigree | LotID #12274 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #38 Incomplete - The Promise Collection P...Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #38 (DC, 1940) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white to white pages....

Edited by woowoo

On 1/29/2022 at 8:00 PM, adamstrange said:

Did you watch the whole video?  Ed and Lon both mentioned that early books were very low grade, which is why the family thought the collection was worth very little. 

Most certainly did and like you correctly stated, they clearly did mentioned the fact that the early books prior to the prime 1943 time period of the collection were low grade.  That was only a small snippet of the video and interview though, as the majprity of the time was spent more on trying to leave the viewer or reader with the distinct impression in their mind that this Promise pedigree collection was second only to the Edgar Church collection.  From a pure title and content quality POV, that is a total stretch of the imagination, as it is much closer to either the Davis Crippen or Big Apple pedigrees which they did not bothered to point out.  Especially considering that the 2 biggest books to emanate from the Promise Collection would now be the Phantom Lady 17 and 'Tec 140 which is pretty much light years apart from the virtually countless major major keys in grade to emanate from the Church collection.  :cloud9:

As everybody here knows, the early Church books were also of lower grade quality as they were brought second hand, but I don't remember any of the Church pre-hero DC's or the very early Church Centaurs being this low grade as these 2 early key Promise Collection books.  I also remember Ed clearly opining that he expected nearly a full 2/3 of the books contained within the Promise Collection to stand as the highest graded copy.  And yet now there's talk that the next Signature Auction will be the last one for the Promise Books, leaving the remaining 1,800 books or thereabouts most likely having not much chance at all of being the highest graded copy.  :frown:

Now, I certainly would not go so far as some other boardies here, who have stated that they would take the very small, but very high quality (both content and condition wise) 135 Allentown Collection pedigree books over the entire 5,000 Promise Collection pedigree books.  Then again, considering the time period and the significant keys contained within the Allewntown pedigree and in that type of condition, it's certainly food for thought though.  hm

On 1/29/2022 at 9:14 PM, woowoo said:

Detective Comics #38 Incomplete - The Promise Collection Pedigree | LotID #12274 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Good catch here, but since it is graded as only a CGC 0.5 Incomplete Poor condition copy, maybe this is allowed in this particular grade?  (shrug)

Nevertheless, this is clearly a defect that was most likely missed by the CGC graders as it is not mentioned as part of the label notes on the slab, and hence the reason why it was also missed by Heritage in their Auction Preview description notes for the book here.  doh!

On 1/30/2022 at 1:09 AM, lou_fine said:

Most certainly did and like you correctly stated, they clearly did mentioned the fact that the early books prior to the prime 1943 time period of the collection were low grade.  That was only a small snippet of the video and interview though, as the majprity of the time was spent more on trying to leave the viewer or reader with the distinct impression in their mind that this Promise pedigree collection was second only to the Edgar Church collection.  From a pure title and content quality POV, that is a total stretch of the imagination, as it is much closer to either the Davis Crippen or Big Apple pedigrees which they did not bothered to point out.  Especially considering that the 2 biggest books to emanate from the Promise Collection would now be the Phantom Lady 17 and 'Tec 140 which is pretty much light years apart from the virtually countless major major keys in grade to emanate from the Church collection.  :cloud9:

This.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:19 AM, tth2 said:
On 1/29/2022 at 11:31 AM, lou_fine said:

If only we could have a repeat performance or a second shot at some of these books from the Jon Berk Collection.

You'd just cheap out again. (shrug)

Surprisingly even to myself, I actually brought more books from that one single auction and spent far far more money than on all other auctions combined during the past 10 years.  :whatthe:

Knowing now after the fact how the auction played out in the end, I definitely would have bidded a lot higher on some of those early almost impossible to acquire  Amazing Mystery Funnies that went on the first day.  At the time back then though, I figured I better hold back and keep some of my powder dry since there was still another 4 days to go with a whole ton more quality books yet to come.  doh!

Now, if I had your kind of comic book spending budget, it would have been no problem at all picking up books.  :baiting:  :takeit:  :takeit:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/30/2022 at 2:09 AM, lou_fine said:

From a pure title and content quality POV, that is a total stretch of the imagination, as it is much closer to either the Davis Crippen or Big Apple pedigrees which they did not bothered to point out.  Especially considering that the 2 biggest books to emanate from the Promise Collection would now be the Phantom Lady 17 and 'Tec 140 which is pretty much light years apart from the virtually countless major major keys in grade to emanate from the Church collection.  :cloud9:

Their video, so far, is a fair description of the collection. It was never going to have big superhero keys in nice shape because it started too late for GA and too early for SA.

It does have a ridiculous amount of 9.8s for a collection of books there were delivered to a newsstand.  The general grades and freshness are high and strong across the board.  The Big Apple has a lot fewer books, not near as high grade, and the Crippen collection that came out in 2006 was mid-grade and tanned across the Board.  Even the first set of Crippens aren't as nice from what I've seen from both collections.

I wouldn't compare the Promise books to either of those except to say that it is overall more impressive.  

As to the remaining 1800, I don't speak because I haven't seen them.

On 1/29/2022 at 8:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Would you be referring to a key like this even if it was chomped and chewed all the way down to a miniscule size like this book here:  lol

action1_cgc_cover.jpg

I wonder how they were able to ascertain that the pages for this copy here were White Pages or is that part just invisible?  :bigsmile:

I think the hobby has "jumped the shark."

On 1/30/2022 at 6:51 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I think the hobby has "jumped the shark."

Not exactly sure what you mean when I see a whole lot more there with the Action 1 than what I am seeing with these graded ones here:  :devil:  :screwy:

35B72D15-DB61-4B7F-8354-47448D403BD9.jpeg

I challenge anybody here to be able to tell us the difference bewtween a CGC 1.0 graded copy from a CGC 10.0 graded copy.  lol

It's all really a case of to each their own, but I still find it rather kind of absurb that some potential buyers are apparently willing to bid up to 5 figures for some of these CGC graded and slabbed so-called "disappearing and invisible books" here.  :screwy:

Well, I guess it makes perfect sense if I get to pay with my "disappearing and invisible" money then.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/30/2022 at 2:00 PM, lhcomics said:

Wonder if CGC would certify these now? Had a coverless Superman #1 missing 2 outer wraps and centerfold that they slabbed the pages back in 2016. Had them return staples to me. 

2022-01-30-0004.thumb.jpg.619fc363383465ec9bb48491ae10bab0.jpg

First of all, that’s funny. Second of all, that’s cool 

On 1/30/2022 at 12:14 AM, woowoo said:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #38 Incomplete - The Promise Collection P...Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #38 (DC, 1940) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white to white pages....

Was it a common practice for kids to tape the wrong back covers to books back then? Now we have two major keys from the Promise Collection with the wrong back cover.