• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Both Eerie #1 and Mask #1 were up from the last sale.  Horror is still strong.  But I don't know how someone can justify paying $144K when it last sold for $102K less than 2 years ago, but that is just me.  I wonder if this will be up for auction again in a year and a half. (shrug)

Could be an indication that non hero books are gaining interest. Who knows because books like the ones that just ended are mostly being bid up by investors not collectors. 

On 3/30/2023 at 2:45 PM, szav said:

Pretty sure we said a few weeks back that between the Mask 1 and the Tec 114, the Mask 1 had a much better chance of staying over 100k :golfclap:

Age has wisdom but you are doing just fine lol

On 3/30/2023 at 10:56 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Bats 1 8.0 $1,110,000

like I said, it will crush Marvel 1

The off register color kept it down slightly. True test would be if it was an OCT copy with decent registration and unrestored. Bat 1 keeps on truckin along👍🏽

On 3/30/2023 at 12:48 PM, szav said:

A shame that this sale will pollute the GPA record with no notation, and a continuing shame that CGC allows this....just give it the blue label grade that it would get IF the CT was removed, without actually destroying the book!  Treat it like a stain when its small enough to remove in such a manner without actually doing it.

Low as the price seems for the grade, the consignor likely made a killing...which sucks.

I don't really understand all the hate this book is getting.  It is not like it has subscription crease restoration that has been scratched out.  There is no marvel chipping and the main image of Spider-Man looks great.  I don't really think the book looks "destroyed."

On 3/30/2023 at 1:42 PM, szav said:

image.png.8e62e4b3a4f60577326ced388dc67a06.png

There's a very characteristic look to these CT scraped books, and there is absolutely paper removed in order to remove the ink that was used to touch up the book.  They do a very thorough job in getting rid of every last bit, but it looks very purposeful and artificial, and not like natural tears or chips.  I dunno, its not even so much the small white cracks to me that look bad, the book is pretty in it itself if you can keep your eyes away from the top left quadrant, but its this characteristic CT scraped look that shows the book was manipulated in a manner that anyone would have a hard time arguing isn't basically the same as trimming the book that personally kills it for me.

I can live with pressing and all the other games that go on, but this just crosses a line for me, and the act itself makes the book look ugly to me.  Looks like many people care but not everyone, because the price realized is halfway between what a restored and any other blue label 7.5 might get right now isn't it?

To me, the top right corner is a bit scary because I suspect there isn’t a lot of paper holding it on.

On 3/31/2023 at 2:11 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Well someone took a hit on this Promise.

92A1B300-0C84-480C-9DA6-3B65AE0C18DB.jpeg

E8BFC8B2-972B-421C-979A-51B91CF33414.jpeg

Relatively speaking, the hit wasn't that bad.  And the consignor actually made some money on some of the Promise books.

On 3/30/2023 at 1:42 PM, szav said:

image.png.8e62e4b3a4f60577326ced388dc67a06.png

There's a very characteristic look to these CT scraped books, and there is absolutely paper removed in order to remove the ink that was used to touch up the book.  They do a very thorough job in getting rid of every last bit, but it looks very purposeful and artificial, and not like natural tears or chips.  I dunno, its not even so much the small white cracks to me that look bad, the book is pretty in it itself if you can keep your eyes away from the top left quadrant, but its this characteristic CT scraped look that shows the book was manipulated in a manner that anyone would have a hard time arguing isn't basically the same as trimming the book that personally kills it for me.

I can live with pressing and all the other games that go on, but this just crosses a line for me, and the act itself makes the book look ugly to me.  Looks like many people care but not everyone, because the price realized is halfway between what a restored and any other blue label 7.5 might get right now isn't it?

On 3/30/2023 at 1:46 PM, Dark Knight said:

complete destruction of a book. I treat it in the same category as trimming, but not as severe.

Personally, I don't see how removing restoration that was not designed to be removed is not just more restoration.  Allowing pressing and some color touch on GA books were steps on the slippery slope to allowing all kinds of restoration.  The qualified and conserved label designation seem more like "covers" for things that I consider restoration (married covers, replaced staples).  This is just a natural progression of that.   It seems pretty arbitrary to draw a line here.  I'm shocked, shocked, to find gambling is going on in here!  :eyeroll:

On 3/30/2023 at 10:57 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Interesting, the spread between a Bat 1 8.0 and a Bat 1 7.0.   $1.1 Mil v.  $660k

As I had stated when I saw the placement of the Bat 1 8.0 copy into the same auction after a Bat 1 was already in there............clearly a "dumb as nails" placement move by Heritage to put 2 copies so close together in grade into the amauction as that will only end up hurting the final uaction result for both copies.  doh!  doh!

Although the 7.0 Bat 1 underpeformed, it certainly looks like the 8.0 Bat 1 also underperformed to a huge degree.  Especially since CC was able to auctioned off an equivalent 8.0 graded copy for over $1.2M back in 2021 which was then followed up by the Larson 8.0 graded copy selling for $1.476M at Golding later that year, with this same Larson 8.0 copy then supposedly receiving a buyout offer of $2M on Rally Road back in January of this year.  hm  (thumbsu

On 3/31/2023 at 4:03 AM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 3/31/2023 at 3:57 AM, tth2 said:

Relatively speaking, the hit wasn't that bad.  And the consignor actually made some money on some of the Promise books.

I wish $100K wasn’t a big hit for me lol.

I was thinking in percentages.  Compared to some of the 80% hits that the Promise books have taken, this wasn't too bad percentage-wise.

On 3/31/2023 at 4:07 AM, lou_fine said:

As I had stated when I saw the placement of the Bat 1 8.0 copy into the same auction after a Bat 1 was already in there............clearly a "dumb as nails" placement move by Heritage to put 2 copies so close together in grade into the amauction as that will only end up hurting the final uaction result for both copies.  doh!  doh!

It's not Heritage that's dumb, it's the consignor of the 7.0 copy that's dumb.

On 3/30/2023 at 1:09 PM, tth2 said:

It's not Heritage that's dumb, it's the consignor of the 7.0 copy that's dumb.

Wasn't the CGC 7.0 copy already in preview before the 8.0 copy got placed into the auction later?  ???

Either way, both consignors with the help of Heritage made a dumb move as both copies probably sold for huge double digit percentages below what they would otherwise have sold for.  doh!  doh!  doh!