• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2023 at 6:28 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Hopefully the 9.4 guy is in it for the love of the hobby, because the business end of this can be so arbitrary and heartbreaking 

The 9.4 guy loves the hobby very much when he flips that bargain for big profits down the road.

On 3/30/2023 at 1:47 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Wow, AF15 has DROPPED!!! Great time to buy a copy. But as has now been pointed out, because I wasn’t looking close at the book but that color touch removal definitely affected the sale.

C8EE5CD4-2B8B-4202-8F56-35E1473921D5.png

I gotta say, that 7.5 grade is extremely generous there is a lot of very visible chipping in that book.  (edit- from previous posts looks like CT removal - even worse!)

Edited by bodhee11

On 3/30/2023 at 2:25 PM, Gotham Kid said:

even this to me looks astounding, but I'm not that knowledgeable of Action 7 prices

image.thumb.png.0a618b3572e9c2bdf02a3a82a332f713.png

You just don't see the book up for sale often and a great cover. This price is less than what I think its worth actually.

On 3/30/2023 at 3:07 PM, lou_fine said:

As I had stated when I saw the placement of the Bat 1 8.0 copy into the same auction after a Bat 1 was already in there............clearly a "dumb as nails" placement move by Heritage to put 2 copies so close together in grade into the amauction as that will only end up hurting the final uaction result for both copies.  doh!  doh!

Although the 7.0 Bat 1 underpeformed, it certainly looks like the 8.0 Bat 1 also underperformed to a huge degree.  Especially since CC was able to auctioned off an equivalent 8.0 graded copy for over $1.2M back in 2021 which was then followed up by the Larson 8.0 graded copy selling for $1.476M at Golding later that year, with this same Larson 8.0 copy then supposedly receiving a buyout offer of $2M on Rally Road back in January of this year.  hm  (thumbsu

I can see this as a tough situation that an auction house like Heritage would have experience with, and have to have a plan of what to do if/when.  I don’t know all of the details.  But the 7.0 was in previews before the 8.0 came along.  The 8.0 was from the Fanfast collection from Detroit, which may have been as big of a find as the Promise Collection.  The Tec 27 was from the same collection.  If part of that collection comes to your doorstep, you need to thread the needle where both conisgnors are happy.  What you can’t do is alienate the whale, while also not treating the consignor of the 7.0 like they’re not valued.  If it were me, I’d probably make both consignors aware, and offer both the alternative of being in the following signature auction 3 months later.  Inform consignor #2, the 8.0 upfront, offer placement of their copy in either.  Then inform the 7.0, and perhaps offer some concession to the 7.0 of a percent take or placement later.  In the end, there’s no perfect answer.  Supply and demand, but supply is what it is.   What they couldn’t do is turn down either book.

On 3/31/2023 at 11:28 AM, eschnit said:

I can see this as a tough situation that an auction house like Heritage would have experience with, and have to have a plan of what to do if/when.  I don’t know all of the details.  But the 7.0 was in previews before the 8.0 came along.  The 8.0 was from the Fanfast collection from Detroit, which may have been as big of a find as the Promise Collection.  The Tec 27 was from the same collection.  If part of that collection comes to your doorstep, you need to thread the needle where both conisgnors are happy.  What you can’t do is alienate the whale, while also not treating the consignor of the 7.0 like they’re not valued.  If it were me, I’d probably make both consignors aware, and offer both the alternative of being in the following signature auction 3 months later.  Inform consignor #2, the 8.0 upfront, offer placement of their copy in either.  Then inform the 7.0, and perhaps offer some concession to the 7.0 of a percent take or placement later.  In the end, there’s no perfect answer.  Supply and demand, but supply is what it is.   What they couldn’t do is turn down either book.

The Tec 27 did not have the label fantast collection and was never mentioned buy the seller in all his visits everywhere. That being said I don't believe the 27 was from the fantast collection.

Edited by woowoo

On 3/31/2023 at 2:06 PM, woowoo said:

The Tec 27 did not have the label fantast collection and was never mentioned buy the seller in all his visits everywhere. That being said I don't believe the 27 was from the fantast collection.

Thank you.  I referenced previously that I thought it might be based on an interview I saw, and it was confirmed by a boardie that I know is informed on everything GA Batman.  That said, you could certainly be right.  The interview refers to the Superman 1 7.0, and the first appearance of Batman.  But he may have meant the Batman 1.

…boardie mentioned that he spoke with Heritage to confirm.

Edited by eschnit

On 3/31/2023 at 12:13 PM, eschnit said:

The interview refers to the Superman 1 7.0, and the first appearance of Batman.  But he may have meant the Batman 1.

Since it was the newscasters that were talking about the first Batman issue and how it was currently sitting at just over $300K at the time, I am 100% certain that they know zippo about 'Tec 27 and simply made the incorrect assumption that Bat 1 was the first Batman.  :facepalm:

On 3/31/2023 at 2:24 PM, Dark Knight said:

I'm sure the consignor of the Bat 1 CGC 7.0 was happy with the result. That same copy sold around 2009 for roughly 100k I believe. 

That depends if you believe in the financial investment POV or NOT that past cost is irrelvant and it's really all about current market valuation?  hm  :mad:

On 4/1/2023 at 2:58 AM, Professor K said:

To me, putting the 8.0 in front of the 7.0 which seems to have been consigned first was kind of a crappy thing to do. The owner of the 8.0 should have chose to wait for the next one.

When an elephant comes to a watering hole, it doesn't care that all of the lesser animals have been queuing up all day to safely get a drink of water.  It just barges up to the water and drinks its fill.  That's the whole point of being an elephant.

If the owner of the 8.0 waits for the next auction, who knows, maybe a 9.0 copy will be consigned.  

On 3/31/2023 at 3:34 PM, lou_fine said:

That depends if you believe in the financial investment POV or NOT that past cost is irrelvant and it's really all about current market valuation?  hm  :mad:

For now, this is the current market evaluation for this book. Until another 7.0 comes out for sale in an auction format ( with similar eye appeal of course), just gotta treat it as such. Markets can shift drastically in either direction so who knows how much the next 7.0 copy will sell for.

Either way, consignor still profited huge from this sale.

Edited by Dark Knight

On 3/31/2023 at 11:28 AM, eschnit said:

If it were me, I’d probably make both consignors aware, and offer both the alternative of being in the following signature auction 3 months later.  Inform consignor #2, the 8.0 upfront, offer placement of their copy in either.  Then inform the 7.0, and perhaps offer some concession to the 7.0 of a percent take or placement later.  In the end, there’s no perfect answer.  

Then again, they simply could have incorporated Ritter's rather bold, but clearly winning tagline with just a slight adjustment to it in their auction listing description, say something like "Still much better condition than the OTHER", and the 7.0 copy might just have been able to beat out the 8.0 copy in the end.  lol  (:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/31/2023 at 6:50 PM, tth2 said:

When an elephant comes to a watering hole, it doesn't care that all of the lesser animals have been queuing up all day to safely get a drink of water.  It just barges up to the water and drinks its fill.  That's the whole point of being an elephant.

If the owner of the 8.0 waits for the next auction, who knows, maybe a 9.0 copy will be consigned.  

I know I know,  the elephants:preach:. You're right. To be clear I meant crappy of Heritage not the guy who inherited 50 million or so in comics and cards. I just kind of think they should have told 8.0 guy to wait until May. But not my books not my money so don't matter.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:09 PM, szav said:

I think its most likely both consignors were offered the chance to move their books and neither wanted to, perhaps because they both wanted to get ahead of a possible downturn in the market, or they just needed or wanted money sooner rather than later.  There is money lost, opportunity cost, etc in waiting on the next auction.

And sometimes there is also money to be gained, especially if you can use the earlier copy as a stepping stone to push your later copy to possibly a even higher level than it would have acheived without that stepping stone.  hm  

In watching those videos, I somehow get the feeling that the son never really got into the comic book market before this and he is simply learning on the fly from his buddies and wherever else possible, all in a quest to get as much money out of his father's collection as fast as possible.  (shrug)