• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2023 at 2:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Not really as I had actually expected it to sell for EVEN LOWER than this still huge $360K amount.  (shrug)

My perception is that it seemed to really struggle after the bidding went over $200K.  I think one bidder really wanted this one (maybe the individual who lost last time) and the other bidder(s) were pretty reluctant to keep going.

On 3/31/2023 at 4:14 AM, lou_fine said:
On 3/31/2023 at 4:09 AM, tth2 said:

It's not Heritage that's dumb, it's the consignor of the 7.0 copy that's dumb.

Wasn't the CGC 7.0 copy already in preview before the 8.0 copy got placed into the auction later?  ???

So?  The 7.0 is like a young adult male gorilla, while the 8.0 is a silverback.  Even if the 7.0 was there first, once the 8.0 came on the scene, the 7.0 needed to move out of the way or get clubbed over the head.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:40 PM, adamstrange said:

A water clean will remove sizing and that is not reversible.  You can add sizing back on, but it will never look like it originally did.

Washing a book is not like washing a car.

I'll presume you know more than I do in that regard, but reading the other comments it seems that some attempt to destigmatize conservation is in order so

1) people are not incentivized to do unnecessary things to a book because a prior cleaning means it will forever be deemed as if it's "100% restored", so they may as well take a low grade book that's been cleaned and give it full on recreation style resto to make it a 9.6, because they'll be damned the same either way, and

2) we can move further away from the idea that "intent" matters more than extent.  If two books have been exposed to water, we shouldn't place greater value on the one that's had a bucket of mop water spilled on it, just because that exposure was accidental. 

On 3/30/2023 at 1:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Not really as I had actually expected it to sell for EVEN LOWER than this still huge $360K amount.  (shrug)

That’s funny because I was thinking it would go for more 🤣

On 3/30/2023 at 11:27 AM, comicjack said:

Mask 1 was able to make a profit  :banana:

On 3/30/2023 at 11:40 AM, mjoeyoung said:

Both Eerie #1 and Mask #1 were up from the last sale.  Horror is still strong.  But I don't know how someone can justify paying $144K when it last sold for $102K less than 2 years ago, but that is just me.  I wonder if this will be up for auction again in a year and a half. (shrug)

Totally expected and no real surprise, especially considering that ComicLink was able to auctioned off the single highest 8.5 graded copy of Mask 2 for $118,700 back in June of 2022.  (thumbsu

On 3/30/2023 at 12:57 PM, tth2 said:

Relatively speaking, the hit wasn't that bad.  And the consignor actually made some money on some of the Promise books.

Yeah I guess it could have been worse. Still a decent loss.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:29 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Oh my stars and garters!  Punch Comics #12 at $31K looks like a steal compared to the $25K, 2.5 that sold recently.  I blame Miss Charlotte Helen Scholk for the low price.

The writing on the cover holds it back but still got over double what it sold  for years ago 

On 3/30/2023 at 1:55 PM, october said:

Big result on that Weird Mysteries 4. $43k on a 7.0...

The CGC 7.5 Bethlehem copy only sold for $31,200 in 2021. It's either this copy sold for a discount or the 7.0 sold for too much hm

On 3/30/2023 at 2:08 PM, batman_fan said:
On 3/30/2023 at 2:07 PM, Dark Knight said:

The CGC 7.5 Bethlehem copy only sold for $31,200 in 2021. It's either this copy sold for a discount or the 7.0 sold for too much hm

2021 was a lifetime ago.  Comic years are like dog years on steroids.

2021 was also a year where we saw all-time record high prices for all collectibles. For the most part, 2023 has been a correction phase