• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2023 at 3:50 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

It's absurd that a book should sell for more with the paper removed than it would be with the paper intact and color touch on it, but it does.  And that makes us look like a silly people

Well, I guess we need to walk the walk then...

giphy.gif.3e05d3040a0cd2051404875bb9c10743.gif

On 3/30/2023 at 4:55 PM, october said:

Big result on that Weird Mysteries 4. $43k on a 7.0...

I was surprised to see this result.  This book has really taken off.  How does Weird Mysteries 5 compare to 4 now?

To answer my own question, this WM4 River City copy sold for $6142 per point and a WM5 4.0 sold for $2250 per point in February.  Not a pedigree though.  Northford WM5 in 5.5 sold for $4145 per point in September 2022.

Edited by *paull*

On 3/30/2023 at 4:19 PM, *paull* said:

I was surprised to see this result.  This book has really taken off.  How does Weird Mysteries 5 compare to 4 now?

Weird Mysteries 5 is more gross, but 4 has the Skull CoverTM and Zanti Misfits going for it.  This value seems like a pretty big jump, but if it sticks, 4 seems to be closing the gap in price.

There were sales of  a 4 in Feb for $10k and a 5, also in Feb for $9K

Edited by mjoeyoung

On 3/30/2023 at 6:29 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Weird Mysteries 5 is more gross, but 4 has the Skull CoverTM and Zanti Misfits going for it.  This value seems like a pretty big jump, but if it sticks, 4 seems to be closing the gap in price.

There were sales of  a 4 in Feb for $10k and a 5, also in Feb for $9K

I have been a fan of Weird Mysteries for a long time and have always thought that Weird Mysteries 5 was the superior book.  I think it's a better cover, has a longer Wolverton story (6 pages instead of 3), and also includes a historic essay on comic book censorship by the publisher.  I think that it's one of the most significant horror books from the pre-code era.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:44 PM, ThothAmon said:

Thought the Archie 1 might go higher. Lower price than a 6.0 in 2014. Hopefully the slight rust in the graders notes is the culprit. Pretty book. 

DF501C67-DB20-4676-94FC-C06B721FF6C4.jpeg

Probably the rust. This book went $20k too low for the same reason. Well, that and the tan pages I guess

72AA2F24-C1F3-46E1-92C5-E1E10A3FD493.jpeg

On 3/30/2023 at 1:14 PM, lou_fine said:
On 3/30/2023 at 1:09 PM, tth2 said:

It's not Heritage that's dumb, it's the consignor of the 7.0 copy that's dumb.

Wasn't the CGC 7.0 copy already in preview before the 8.0 copy got placed into the auction later?  ???

Either way, both consignors with the help of Heritage made a dumb move as both copies probably sold for huge double digit percentages below what they would otherwise have sold for.  doh!  doh!  doh!

On 3/30/2023 at 1:19 PM, tth2 said:

So?  The 7.0 is like a young adult male gorilla, while the 8.0 is a silverback.  Even if the 7.0 was there first, once the 8.0 came on the scene, the 7.0 needed to move out of the way or get clubbed over the head.

Well, the way I see it is that Heritage tossed two almost equally big gorillas into the same ring and asked them to fight it out, with the end result that they both beat the out of each other by the time it was all said and done.  :slapfight:  :slapfight:

What was your expected price point for the Bat 1 in CGC 7.0 since it looks like the last one in that grade sold for $334.6K back in 2018 which was quite a few lifetimes ago?  So, if you say the current market value for a Bat 1 in 7.0 was $1M or a threshold which it has never yet hit, then that means it sold at a 34% discount to what it should have sold for.  Now, if you take the Fantast 8.0 sale at $1.11M, then this represents a discount of almost 25% to the Goldin sale of $1.476 for the Larson 8.0 copy back in September of 2021 and also a 44.5% discount to the supposed $2M buyout on Rally Road (if it ever got consumated) for this same Larson 8.0 copy back in January of this year.  hm  

So, who got clubbed worst in the end........................was it the 7.0 gorilla or was it the 8.0 gorilla?  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/31/2023 at 8:09 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 3/31/2023 at 8:05 AM, tth2 said:

I sometimes feel like we're following two completely different auctions.

Any surprises for you @tth2? I must confess to a few for me, both high and low

Just that prices still seem surprisingly strong, given that I was promised a big crash in prices because I've been told that it's an immutable law of nature that comics and OA must follow the price trends of the sports card market.

Speaking of big price differences for small differences in grade, I feel sorry for the consignor of the 9.4 (SA) GL #15 in the weekly auction that just wrapped up, as it sold for only $900, while the 9.6 (SA) GL #15 that just sold in the Signature Auction went for $6600.  It's been a while since I was going hard at SA DC, but I don't recall the multiple between 9.4 and 9.6 being over 7X!  

On 3/30/2023 at 3:43 PM, *paull* said:

I have been a fan of Weird Mysteries for a long time and have always thought that Weird Mysteries 5 was the superior book.  I think it's a better cover, has a longer Wolverton story (6 pages instead of 3), and also includes a historic essay on comic book censorship by the publisher.  I think that it's one of the most significant horror books from the pre-code era.

I agree with you too and that's why I have a copy lol

On 3/30/2023 at 5:31 PM, tth2 said:

It's been a while since I was going hard at SA DC, but I don't recall the multiple between 9.4 and 9.6 being over 7X!  

It's meant to catch those buyers who truly believe that CGC grading is an exact science and can be measured accurately right down to the infinitesimal fraction of a decimal point.  :screwy:

Then again, even though the CGC 9.6 copy  sold for a seeming whopping $6,600; it should be noted that this was still $600 less than the 9.6 copy that sold for $7,200 back in January of 2022.  :whatthe:

So, I would say that the winner of the CGC 9.4 copy in the weekly auction got themself a steal of a deal at only $900. :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/30/2023 at 9:28 PM, Dark Knight said:

I agree with you too and that's why I have a copy lol

When I first saw the cover of WM5 back in 1995 or so, listed in a CBG auction, I thought that it encapsulated the lurid nature of pre-code books into a single image. I dreamed of having one some day.  It took a while :)

On 3/30/2023 at 9:17 PM, *paull* said:

When I first saw the cover of WM5 back in 1995 or so, listed in a CBG auction, I thought that it encapsulated the lurid nature of pre-code books into a single image. I dreamed of having one some day.  It took a while :)

It took a while but hey you own a copy! Cheers to ya! :cheers:

On 3/30/2023 at 10:08 PM, mstrange said:

The CGC 6.0 copy at $36K appears to be a bit of an outlier and caused probably as a result of the Promise Collection crazed hangover.  hm  

Nevertheless, a definite down draft in prices on this book which probably needs a bit of a rest as quite a few copies have come into the marketplace during the past year and a half.  (shrug)

Probably a good time to consider picking one up if you are in the market for this classic cover book as I don't see it staying down for very long. (thumbsu

On 3/30/2023 at 7:31 PM, tth2 said:

Speaking of big price differences for small differences in grade, I feel sorry for the consignor of the 9.4 (SA) GL #15 in the weekly auction that just wrapped up, as it sold for only $900, while the 9.6 (SA) GL #15 that just sold in the Signature Auction went for $6600.  It's been a while since I was going hard at SA DC, but I don't recall the multiple between 9.4 and 9.6 being over 7X!  

Hopefully the 9.4 guy is in it for the love of the hobby, because the business end of this can be so arbitrary and heartbreaking