• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection?

Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Don Rosa Poll - Pedigree or Collection

497 posts in this topic

You'll find the the books were stored with their spines alternated for *gasp* PRESERVATION.

Really? I'd be willing to bet he stacked them that way because he could stack them higher with out having the pile lean.

Now when a comic collector sees them stacked that way he thinks "great preservation method". When a normal person sees them stacked that way they think "higher pile". I bet I know what Church was thinking, and I'm willing to bet it wasn't "preservation for Chuck R.". wink.gif

Here's my realist version of how the Church collection came to be.

1. Obsessive compulsive artist with some kind of "hording" disorder.

2. Dry climate

3. Low light

4. Right time, right place for Chuck.

I don't know how much Church did for future collectors, but I know what his "horde" did, that's for sure. I just don't see Church as some kind of hero. I think he had some "compulsions" that he indulged and that we're all better off for it, but I don't think he intentionally did anything for future generations of collectors.

Kind of like the airline pilot that safely brings in a damaged plane with 200 people on board. Is he a hero because 200 people lived? Or was he just doing his best not to die and in the process he happened to also save the lives of 200 people?

Here's my realist version of how the Church collection came to be.

1. Obsessive compulsive artist with some kind of "hording" disorder.

2. Dry climate

3. Low light

4. Right time, right place for Chuck.

I don't know how much Church did for future collectors, but I know what his "horde" did, that's for sure. I just don't see Church as some kind of hero. I think he had some "compulsions" that he indulged and that we're all better off for it, but I don't think he intentionally did anything for future generations of collectors.

Kind of like the airline pilot that safely brings in a damaged plane with 200 people on board. Is he a hero because 200 people lived? Or was he just doing his best not to die and in the process he happened to also save the lives of 200 people?

You aren't going to get anywhere with that attitude........if you were from a foreign country then Shield would be tossing racial slurs at you right now. Mr Shield you are the type of person that would drink kool aid in Jonestown...you talk about research and yet you direct me to a single blog written 20 years after the fact by someone who could never be accused of being a scientific historian and who never even spoke to Edgar Church. I throw out wild points of view that aren't based in fact because they are just as spurious as your summations.

What were the church gradings on ASM #1? FF #1? etc etc

When did Church stop collecting books and why?

Do we know whether Church read the books?

Were the books in the cupboard all his early GA? and if so could they be in the cupboard because he got them first and then when he ran out of space he just piled them up on the floor?

If he was so much into preservation of his books was the room temperature controlled? Was he using low lighting? Why didn't he bag and board them in the 70's?

If your father had a passion for something wouldn't you know about it? and if you did would you just throw it away?

Pedigree means the history or provenance of a person or thing. Regardless of the GA and SA snobbery that abounds on these boards Don Rosa's collection meets that criteria but even further than that we can know his story and why he collected . To some collectors having the highest graded collection of DC BA horror titles is something to be proud of. An HOM #174 in 9.6 to many is just as important as an HG GA book.

I must say that I am more interested in pedigrees such as Larsen where the provenance and motivation comes direct from the source rather than the Church pedigree spin. Even though the Church GA books are consistently the finest in the GA world.

Shield your bully boy posts and racial slurs I believe are an attempt to hide the fact that there isn't much fact when it comes to the Church pedigree and as for it saving the collecting hobby.....well that is more down to Chuck then anyone else...

Mushroom, you were just so completely dominated in this discussion that now you're saying I made racial slurs?

Show me one post where I made a racial slur. If you can find it, I'll leave these boards forever.

If not, you have to. Seems fair to me.

Everyone agree?

I set up a poll for it. If I was found to have said something like that, I'll leave here forever and NOT set up any shills either (as I NEVER have).

It's one thing for me to refute his silly claims and dominate him with facts that counter his claims, but to basically call me a racist?

I won't stand for it.

I set up a poll for it. If I was found to have said something like that, I'll leave here forever and NOT set up any shills either (as I NEVER have).

It's one thing for me to refute his silly claims and dominate him with facts that counter his claims, but to basically call me a racist?

I won't stand for it.

(Crickets chirping in NW Australia, where Mushroom is trying to figure out how to backpeddal on his inaccurate statements!) Hey 'shroom, maybe the Dingo ate your baby!

The purpose of this comment was?? I find it racially offensive......you are playing out a stereotype....

As for dominating a discussion...how?....what evidence have you given....you haven't put forward one fact and the reason is because you don't know. Answer my questions from my last post....

Dear Don,

If you made it this far, I apologize for you having to read through this mess. If you quit reading this thread before it turned into a flame war and never make it this far, I guess you'll never know how lucky you were! 27_laughing.gif

However, if you do read it, please know that you, and only you, have the power to save this thread from the deepest, darkest depths of humanity....by posting a quick sketch of The Shield versus a Giant Mushroom, please!?!? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sincerely, drbanner

Mushroom, it's a very serious thing to accuse someone of racial slurs. You're going to have to point it out to everyone here.

It's a very serious thing to make jokes about someone's country and background...and I don't need a poll. Now the people on this board have the temerity to tell me how I should feel......damn you guys are arrogant. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I won't stand for it.

(Crickets chirping in NW Australia, where Mushroom is trying to figure out how to backpeddal on his inaccurate statements!) Hey 'shroom, maybe the Dingo ate your baby!

The purpose of this comment was?? I find it racially offensive......you are playing out a stereotype....

Cor blimey, gov'na! Are you a dingoist?

Mushroom, it's a very serious thing to accuse someone of racial slurs. You're going to have to point it out to everyone here.

It's a very serious thing to make jokes about someone's country and background...and I don't need a poll. Now the people on this board have the temerity to tell me how I should feel......damn you guys are arrogant. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Keep quiet down there or you're next! Imperialism rulz!

I won't stand for it.

As for dominating a discussion...how?....what evidence have you given....you haven't put forward one fact and the reason is because you don't know. Answer my questions from my last post....

? THAT'S ELAINE FROM SEINFELD! How is that a racist remark? That's like you saying "MAYBE A BUCKEYE FELL ON YOUR HEAD" because I'm in Central Ohio!

lol That's racism???????????????

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/000922.html

Dear Cecil:

In her best Australian accent Elaine Benes in Seinfeld once suggested to a stranger, "Maybe a dingo ate your baby."

Then, of course, Oz from Buffy the Vampire Slayer has a band called Dingoes Ate My Baby. It all seemed to me an innocent evocation of the classic Australian wild-dog infanticide motif, a folk archetype that has probably existed for centuries (or however long dingoes roamed the outback). Recently, however, I saw the movie A Cry in the Dark with Sam Neill and Meryl Streep, about the apparently famous mid-80s Australian case of a mother accused of murdering her baby, while she contended that dingoes carried her infant daughter off in the night and devoured her. The movie shows that in fact it was probably the dingoes who did it. Did this court case establish the idea of baby-eating dingoes, or has this horror story been around for a long time and the case merely brought it out of Australia? --Mike Richichi, Green Brook, New Jersey

Unbelievable...

I won't stand for it.

We don't say cor blimey or gov'na.........that is english......

http://www.tv.com/seinfeld/the-stranded/episode/2267/summary.html

Originally aired: Wednesday November 27, 1991 on NBC

Writer: Jerry Seinfeld, Matt Goldman

Director: Tom Cherones

Show Stars: Michael Richards (Cosmo Kramer), Jerry Seinfeld (Himself), Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Elaine Marie Benes (not in pilot)), Jason Alexander (George Louis Costanza)

All Guest Stars: Larry David , Michael Chiklis (Steve), Teri Austin (Ava), Bobbi Jo Lathan (Patti), Gwen Shepherd (Cashier), Dwayne Kennedy (Frank), Marcia Firesten (Jenny), Michael Milhoan (Security Guard), John Putch (Roy), Melissa Weil (Gwen), Ellen Ratner (Ellen), Frank Piazza (Cop)

Production Code: 209

Jerry & Elaine go to a party with George, while there they send signals to each other to get out of bad party conversations. Afterward, George abandons them there, when he leaves with a co-worker he has a chance with. Jerry & Elaine keeping the hosts up real late, while waiting for Kramer to come and pick them up. The host later takes Jerry up on his offer to drop by when he is in the city, just as Jerry is leaving. He stays in Jerry's apartment for the evening and parties with Kramer and a lady of the evening. Later George pays the price for his romance in the workplace (he must quit) and he tries to shoplift at the drug store where he says they still owe him ten dollars.

Edit Episode Summary Episode Allusions

The story which she Elaine says "Maybe the Dingo ate your baby" in something that sounds like an Australian accent. referred to is, of course, the woman in Australia who was charged with the murder of her baby, while she insisted that it was a dingo (a wild dog) that ate it. (Edit)

Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

I won't stand for it.

We don't say cor blimey or gov'na.........that is english......

Oi?

No, that's Yiddish...

Do you people speak at all?

I won't stand for it.

? THAT'S ELAINE FROM SEINFELD! How is that a racist remark? That's like you saying "MAYBE A BUCKEYE FELL ON YOUR HEAD" because I'm in Central Ohio!

lol That's racism?????????????

Dear Cecil:

In her best Australian accent Elaine Benes in Seinfeld once suggested to a stranger, "Maybe a dingo ate your baby."

Then, of course, Oz from Buffy the Vampire Slayer has a band called Dingoes Ate My Baby. It all seemed to me an innocent evocation of the classic Australian wild-dog infanticide motif, a folk archetype that has probably existed for centuries (or however long dingoes roamed the outback). Recently, however, I saw the movie A Cry in the Dark with Sam Neill and Meryl Streep, about the apparently famous mid-80s Australian case of a mother accused of murdering her baby, while she contended that dingoes carried her infant daughter off in the night and devoured her. The movie shows that in fact it was probably the dingoes who did it. Did this court case establish the idea of baby-eating dingoes, or has this horror story been around for a long time and the case merely brought it out of Australia? --Mike Richichi, Green Brook, New Jersey

Unbelievable...

As an Australian I find that comment derogatory.......and it is a racial stereotype. Stop telling me how I should feel or react and don't say it is just like a calling you a buckeye because it isn't. A Buckeye isn't an insult. Oh, and by the way when Elaine uses that term she is using it to insult someone else's intelligence.

I won't stand for it.

lol That's racism?????????????

Dear Cecil:

Unbelievable...

As an Australian I find that comment derogatory.......and it is a racial stereotype. Stop telling me how I should feel or react and don't say it is just like a calling you a buckeye because it isn't. A Buckeye isn't an insult. Oh, and by the way when Elaine uses that term she is using it to insult someone else's intelligence.

So, am I of the American race? confused.gif

Maybe the dingo ate your point.