• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's Phase 5 rumors
1 1

501 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2022 at 10:52 AM, drotto said:

A few questions

1. When did phase 4 end or even culminate in anything?

2.  Wow phase 5 very superficially looks like it is repeating all the mistakes of Phase 4.  Please tell me why the MCU is pulling content mainly from Marvel post about 2015?  You know the era that is basically killed American comic books. If you deny that, I question your sanity.  Hot comics in the 90's sold over 500,000 per issue.  Moderately successful comics were around 100,000.  Books were cancelled if they got around 50,000.  Now hot books sell 100,000 if they are lucky.  Most books sell maybe 20,000, and I have seen books routinely selling 10,000 or lower and don't get cancelled.  Why would you use this modern era as your source material based on those numbers? Especially with 70 years of material to pull from.

3. Aside from a few hold over characters like Ant Man, Wasp, Loki, Falcon Cap and a few others (and they are not A list).  Where are any A list characters here?  Blade and Daredevil are B or C list, and have already had great adaptations, so these are reboots.  Everything new is based on ultra low list, unheard of by the general public characters. What new project here has a top tier character to pull people in?

1. No idea.
2. This is a terrible take.  Modern comics didn't killed (sic) the medium - Print in general is approaching death.  Comparing the 60-90s numbers to today without the context of what's happened to literally every other form of printed media is ridiculous.  You don't like modern comics?  Dig it.  That doesn't make them bad and it doesn't make comics from previous decades good.  They're comics.   We're not talking high art, here.  
3. Iron-Man was C list until RDJ.  The Hulk sucked for decades. Cap was absolutely unreadable until Brubaker (with exceptions, of course)...Actually, the Avengers had been a C list title for decades.  Guardians was horrible until Annihilation, etc, etc, etc.  The modern reboots of these characters ARE the foundations of the MCU.  Who even are the A list characters?  Because that changes by the decade and by readership/other media.  Except Spider-Man.  He's always up there (And we had several BAD Spider-Man movies).

On 7/24/2022 at 11:42 PM, WolverineX said:

"Marvel Studios is currently on what is widely known as Phase 4, which is saying a lot since the MCU movies have been around for over a decade and only keep getting better."

WOW! Color him a biased fanatic.

On 7/25/2022 at 5:44 AM, Bosco685 said:

"Marvel Studios is currently on what is widely known as Phase 4, which is saying a lot since the MCU movies have been around for over a decade and only keep getting better."

WOW! Color him a biased fanatic.

I don’t know anyone personally who thinks the MCU is improving in quality. Just about every opinion I’ve heard past Infinity War  is “it’s alright”. However, the trailers seem to be improving so there’s that! 

I think marvel messed the bed with the introduction of time travel and the multiverse. There are no stakes that can be taken seriously. They have hit the comic equivalent of Heroes Reborn. 

Also, I can’t stress enough how uninteresting it is to have a studio bring stories out that we are already well versed in. 

Edited by Mr Sneeze

On 7/28/2022 at 9:02 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

I can’t stress enough how uninteresting it is to have a studio bring stories out that we are already well versed in. 

You mean like EVERY MCU film to date has done?  Drawing from the comic stories but altering them enough to keep you guessing has been Feige's entire thing since he started the MCU, and it's also what most of the Sony and Fox films did as well.

It's similarly hard for me to remember ANY superhero film from DC, Marvel, or whoever that also didn't do this same thing you're describing as uninteresting.  What truly original superhero films are you thinking of that you enjoyed?  When I go through the list of the best superhero films ever made they ALL draw from comic stories hardcore fans are already well-versed in.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 7/24/2022 at 11:13 AM, Artboy99 said:

I am interested in Kang, but not as he was depicted in the TV show (just a normal looking guy)

There are a near-infinite number of versions of Kang due to all of his time travel multiverse exploits, so the appearance, behavior, and goals of any one Kang variant doesn't restrict at all what all of the other variants would be like.  He Who Remains is the version who has taken it upon himself to prevent his variants from ruining the multiverse, so it makes sense he wouldn't be wearing a combat suit like Kang does when he's time-travelling to conquer some part of his timeline.

The outfit in the show is vaguely similar to the outfit the character wore in his first appearance in Thor #245 from 1976 pictured below.

RCO014.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

On 7/24/2022 at 12:46 PM, Bosco685 said:

Talk about an overwhelming amount of content

Not to mention the DC material on top of all that.  

On 7/28/2022 at 11:10 AM, fantastic_four said:

You mean like EVERY MCU film to date has done?  Drawing from the comic stories but altering them enough to keep you guessing has been Feige's entire thing since he started the MCU, and it's also what most of the Sony and Fox films did as well.

It's similarly hard for me to remember ANY superhero film from DC, Marvel, or whoever that also didn't do this same thing you're describing as uninteresting.  What truly original superhero films are you thinking of that you enjoyed?  When I go through the list of the best superhero films ever made they ALL draw from comic stories hardcore fans are already well-versed in.

Your point is well taken. You hit the nail on the head when you say hard core fan. I might think it awesome if I was unfamiliar with the source material. 

At this point for me, I just want to see something I haven’t before.

I hold superhero movies to a standard of entertaining me for the admission price, so given that, most of them pass but few are memorable.

On 7/28/2022 at 3:58 PM, WolverineX said:

I thought the biggest question is when is black cat showing up?

Black Cat I believe belongs to Sony not Disney as she is part of the Spider family.