• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's Phase 5 rumors
1 1

501 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2023 at 11:28 AM, jsilverjanet said:

Feige is the problem that isn't going to be addressed

For now.  With Alonso and Perlmutter gone, Feige is basically the last person standing at the MCU.  There is nobody else left to scapegoat. So if the downward trend continues, it will eventually fall on him.  Granted it may take 2 or 3 years more of this.

Also, with Feige already stretched thin, how does he now handle a greater workload as those beneath him are fired?

Edited by drotto

On 3/30/2023 at 12:00 PM, drotto said:

For now.  With Alonso and Perlmutter gone, Feige is basically the last person standing at the MCU.  There is nobody else left to scapegoat. So if the downward trend continues, it will eventually fall on him.  

Exactly, if the MCU continues to "slide" at the box office, there really is no one left for Feige to "throw under the bus".  It is all on him.

On 3/30/2023 at 12:00 PM, drotto said:

For now.  With Alonso and Perlmutter gone, Feige is basically the last person standing at the MCU.  There is nobody else left to scapegoat. So if the downward trend continues, it will eventually fall on him.  Granted it may take 2 or 3 years more of this.

Also, with Feige already stretched thin, how does he now handle a greater workload as those beneath him are fired?

Ike Permutter was never part of Marvel Studios. At one time, Marvel Studios had to answer to the larger Marvel Entertainment, headed by Perlmutter. That ended years ago, around 2017, I believe.

Louis D'Esposito, Nate Moore, and other high level producers are still at Marvel Studios. Also if quality over quantity is going to be a real thing at Marvel Studios, and it looks like it is, then the workload may actually be lighter.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:48 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Ike Permutter was never part of Marvel Studios. At one time, Marvel Studios had to answer to the larger Marvel Entertainment, headed by Perlmutter. That ended years ago, around 2017, I believe.

Louis D'Esposito, Nate Moore, and other high level producers are still at Marvel Studios. Also if quality over quantity is going to be a real thing at Marvel Studios, and it looks like it is, then the workload may actually be lighter.

Marvel Entertainment handled the movies till 2015, that is when it was split into Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Studios.  Feige took control of the studio division, and gained full control of the movies and shows.  Perlmutter had a fair amount of influence on the MCU to that point, and had say in everything planned to the end of Phase 3. He was certainly more influential in Phase 1 and Phase 2.  It was not till Phase 4 where Perlmutter had zero influence on decisions being made.

With that said he is still a major Disney stock holder, and because of that could still weild significant power on the investor side. He can not make any creative decisions now.  A mad Perlmutter could kickstart a new push with Peltz to influence the board. It is a tricky situation.

On 3/30/2023 at 6:25 PM, drotto said:

Marvel Entertainment handled the movies till 2015, that is when it was split into Marvel Entertainment and Marvel Studios.  Feige took control of the studio division, and gained full control of the movies and shows.  Perlmutter had a fair amount of influence on the MCU to that point, and had say in everything planned to the end of Phase 3. He was certainly more influential in Phase 1 and Phase 2.  It was not till Phase 4 where Perlmutter had zero influence on decisions being made.

With that said he is still a major Disney stock holder, and because of that could still weild significant power on the investor side. He can not make any creative decisions now.  A mad Perlmutter could kickstart a new push with Peltz to influence the board. It is a tricky situation.

I remember when Feige supposedly disbanded the Marvel Creative Committee (MCC) made up of Marvel Comics writer Brian Michael Bendis, former editor-in-chief Joe Quesada, publisher Dan Buckley and Marvel Entertainment president Alan Fine.

Edited by Bosco685

On 3/30/2023 at 6:25 PM, drotto said:

It was not till Phase 4 where Perlmutter had zero influence on decisions being made.

And look at how poorly received ($$$) Phase 4 did.  Listen I'm not a huge fan of Perlmutter, however from alot of stuff I've read he was only concerned about one thing, dollars.  He didn't care about diversity (one way or the other) and he didn't care about an "agenda" on way or the other, strictly what would make the most money at the box office and also at the toy stores (another area that Phase 4 failed in was toy sales, every time I go into a Target/Walmart any toy line from Phase 4 is sitting on the endcap with deep, deep discounts, no one is buying the toys).

On 3/30/2023 at 6:32 PM, media_junkie said:

And look at how poorly received ($$$) Phase 4 did.  Listen I'm not a huge fan of Perlmutter, however from alot of stuff I've read he was only concerned about one thing, dollars.  He didn't care about diversity (one way or the other) and he didn't care about an "agenda" on way or the other, strictly what would make the most money at the box office and also at the toy stores (another area that Phase 4 failed in was toy sales, every time I go into a Target/Walmart any toy line from Phase 4 is sitting on the endcap with deep, deep discounts, no one is buying the toys).

That is part of the justification of getting rid of Marvel Entertainment, who only had control on physical products like toys and comics. By every account toy and comic sales are bad, and the division could not be justified as an independent entity anymore.  Granted, toy sales are only good when the creative side drives sales.  So it was in a no win situation. 

"How dare you say MCU folks at times used a standard template. Directors had freedom to be creative!"

Alonso: "Hold my beer!"

According to Hollywood reporter Chris Lee on the podcast The Town with Matthew Belloni, the longtime Marvel executive Victoria Alonso, who was recently fired by the studio, once told a Marvel filmmaker that another director who had helmed one of "the biggest movies Marvel’s ever put out" did not really deserve credit for the movie. According to Lee, Alonso said about that director: "They don’t direct the movies. We direct the movies." The bold claim, if real, speaks to a longtime Marvel Studios problem, and adds another mark to the MCU's current behind-the-scenes issues. Check out the full quote below:

"Around the time of Victoria Alonso’s dismissal, I was DM’ing with an extremely well-known director who had worked on a Marvel film, and she was relating some remarks that Victoria had said to her about another filmmaker, who directed, let’s just say, it was one of the biggest movies Marvel’s ever put out. And (Alonso) was talking about this guy and (Alonso) said, ‘They don’t direct the movies. We direct the movies.’ Meaning that the filmmakers don’t have creative control over the look of the films that Marvel does."

On 3/29/2023 at 2:36 PM, media_junkie said:

Ike was let go because as Drotto posted above, when Bob Chapek was the CEO, Perlmutter actively tried to change the balance of power on the Disney board which would have kept Iger from coming back.  Six or seven months after Perlmutter made his play (which Chapek didn't agree with) Chapek was fired at an Elton John concert and Iger was back in the door.  Perlmutter has been a non-issue since the movie end (and Feige) was put directly under Disney.  Iger fired/layed him off/disbanded his company to eliminate any threat to his (Iger's) position.

Consolidating power, nothing more.

When You Play The Game Of Thrones, You Win Oryou Die. There Is No Middle  Ground..