• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,025 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2021 at 7:56 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Several years ago, I asked an employee at Mile High how they gathered the most recent newsstand issues from the last few years that they were made.  The person told me that they had a couple customers who would buy them off the newsstand, and then bring them to Mile High for trade value.  That made sense.   I could not imagine someone from Mile High Comics going to Barnes & Noble stores in the Denver area weekly to pick them up (from about 2008 and onward, Barnes & Noble was one of the few sources for newsstand issues... I had to make a trip there about every other week to get the ones I collected.... frankly, I was glad when they stopped making newsstand issues as it was starting to get to be a pain in the neck for this nutty variant collector).   I've since managed to find every single "newsstand" issue in the titles of Batman, Detective, Action, and Superman/Adv of Superman in VF or better (most in the 9.0 to 9.8 range).  I cannot say it was easy.   And when I say "newsstand" I'm just talking about all the newsstand issues from the time DC started producing direct sales issues on cover dates of October 1980 and later.  If anyone ever wants to see an image of a newsstand issue from those titles that they haven't been able to find, I would be glad to post it.

p.s.  I remember that roughly ten years ago Mile High comics was about the only on-line store that distinguished between newsstand and direct sales copies in their on-line inventory.  I'm amazed how many issues of comic books with cover dates after the year 2000 have not ever been listed on there website.  I wonder if that is an indication of how rare they are, or instead just a statement that Mile High doesn't buy many back issues from the modern age.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:49 PM, mrwoogieman said:

I'm running into a fifth short box of Marvel newsies post-2000 until the end in 2013.

:banana:

Nice! I have a soft spot for Late Modern Marvel Newsstands. Most of mine are post 1998 and I’m up to 20 short bins with a bunch needing more bins. It’s addicting but it’s definitely paid off. 

On 8/25/2021 at 6:13 PM, Lazyboy said:

This should tell you all you need to know about the shallowness and fragility of the supposed Newsstand market and those pumping it.

It’s all about getting the rarest copy of a key book and late modern newsstands are exceedingly hard to find especially in high grades. I don’t see anything shallow or fragile about the newsstand market. It’s here to stay so you should  get used to it. I’ve been making a killing on buying and selling for a few years now. I don’t think most newsstand collectors pump newsstands. I believe they’re generally and honestly excited by them and not pumping/dumping. To each their own. 

On 8/29/2021 at 1:34 AM, Corona smith said:
On 8/25/2021 at 5:13 PM, Lazyboy said:

This should tell you all you need to know about the shallowness and fragility of the supposed Newsstand market and those pumping it.

It’s all about getting the rarest copy of a key book and late modern newsstands are exceedingly hard to find especially in high grades. I don’t see anything shallow or fragile about the newsstand market. It’s here to stay so you should  get used to it. I’ve been making a killing on buying and selling for a few years now. I don’t think most newsstand collectors pump newsstands. I believe they’re generally and honestly excited by them and not pumping/dumping. To each their own.

He is just being mean and petty. 

The newsstand market for high grade later books is very strong.

On 8/29/2021 at 1:34 AM, Corona smith said:

Maybe you missed the point. You think it's a good sign for the market that the sellers who are most vocally proclaiming the rarity and value of Newsstands and asking ridiculously high prices for their stock won't pay any real money for them?

On 8/29/2021 at 11:30 AM, fastballspecial said:

:eyeroll:

If you're incapable of understanding my (or anyone else's, for that matter) posts, you probably shouldn't be commenting on them.

On 8/29/2021 at 2:31 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 8/29/2021 at 11:30 AM, fastballspecial said:

:eyeroll:

If you're incapable of understanding my (or anyone else's, for that matter) posts, you probably shouldn't be commenting on them.

If you are incapable of being negative and jarring I suggest you don't comment. 
Especially when you don't understand that market. 

Edited by fastballspecial

On 8/29/2021 at 3:38 PM, fastballspecial said:

If you are incapable of being negative and jarring I suggest you don't comment. 
Especially when you don't understand that market. 

Pointing out the disparity between a seller asking for the moon for something but being unwilling to pay anything for more of that thing is not being negative, just realistic. And I understand the market quite well, thank you.

The reality is that there is a strong trend in the market to make cheap modern newsstands a thing so that otherwise cheap stock can be sold for dear. If it were purely about the relative scarcity driving collectibility and value you would also see those market forces manifesting with the late Bronze Age direct editions which should be equivalently hard to find as late modern newsstands.

But you don’t really see that, at least I do not. Where is the “show us your Bronze directies” thread?

On 8/29/2021 at 5:32 PM, mrwoogieman said:

The reality is that there is a strong trend in the market to make cheap modern newsstands a thing so that otherwise cheap stock can be sold for dear. If it were purely about the relative scarcity driving collectibility and value you would also see those market forces manifesting with the late Bronze Age direct editions which should be equivalently hard to find as late modern newsstands.

But you don’t really see that, at least I do not. Where is the “show us your Bronze directies” thread?

Ive had people try to convince me late bronze and early copper newsstand are also hard in high grade due to lack of storage. 
I am not sure I believe that argument due to supply which they then bring up grocery stores and such. Who knows.

On 8/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, fastballspecial said:

Ive had people try to convince me late bronze and early copper newsstand are also hard in high grade due to lack of storage. 
I am not sure I believe that argument due to supply which they then bring up grocery stores and such. Who knows.

Lack of storage?  I haven’t heard that before. hm

On 8/29/2021 at 5:32 PM, mrwoogieman said:

There are a lot of oddities/(relative) rarities that don't get much love in the market. Coincidentally (:eyeroll:), they aren't getting pumped by sellers who spread lies to make them more attractive to suckers buyers.

Are there people who genuinely like Newsstands and collect them? Yes.

Were at least some of them collecting them before the push? Yes.

Do those collectors actually care about the books and not just their values and how they can be manipulated in their favour? Yes.

Is there anything wrong with collecting Newsstands? No, of course not!

But, as I've said before, it is impossible to separate the current Newsstand market from the misinformation that has been spread far and wide over the past many years. That garbage pops up here fairly regularly, it get mentioned at shows (if/when people are actually talking about Newsstands), it's everywhere. :frown:

On 8/29/2021 at 5:46 PM, steveinthecity said:
On 8/29/2021 at 5:43 PM, fastballspecial said:

Lack of storage?  I haven’t heard that before. hm

Well the argument is that collectors didnt take care of their books back then and many were damaged on the racks at newsstands.

On 8/29/2021 at 6:11 PM, fastballspecial said:

Well the argument is that collectors didnt take care of their books back then and many were damaged on the racks at newsstands.

I’m not sure that “collectors” necessarily cared less for their comics, but yeah, some newsstands or spinner racks could be very hit or miss depending on type of store and age of those browsing(assuming younger kids didn’t handle the books as carefully as other customers).

This is a hobby driven by collectors trying to have it all, not just 1 (or more) copy of every key, but all in the highest grade possible.

With that in mind, there will always a market for comic covers from a single issue that present any difference from one another, because acquiring all 3 (or whatever) variations of a cover in top grade is a chance to get something the next guy doesn't have. As more and more of these variations get graded, it should become clear that the newsstand versions aren't achieving the high 9 grades of those books that were handled by comic shops/subscription services/collectors from the jump. The high grade newsstand books needed to complete these "rainbow" variation sets of key issues will command premium values, I think. 

On 8/29/2021 at 7:43 PM, Lazyboy said:

But, as I've said before, it is impossible to separate the current Newsstand market from the misinformation that has been spread far and wide over the past many years. That garbage pops up here fairly regularly, it get mentioned at shows (if/when people are actually talking about Newsstands), it's everywhere. :frown:

You could replace "Newsstand" with "Ratio variant" and it would be true of far more people.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:43 PM, Lazyboy said:

There are a lot of oddities/(relative) rarities that don't get much love in the market. Coincidentally (:eyeroll:), they aren't getting pumped by sellers who spread lies to make them more attractive to suckers buyers.

Are there people who genuinely like Newsstands and collect them? Yes.

Were at least some of them collecting them before the push? Yes.

Do those collectors actually care about the books and not just their values and how they can be manipulated in their favour? Yes.

Is there anything wrong with collecting Newsstands? No, of course not!

I have been buying slabbed 9.8 ASM 200-299 newsies for many years in addition to one direct and newsie raw. Once I started see people pump them on FB I had to stop. Prices are really stupid. That being said, there are plenty of sellers pumping random books exclaiming rare, asking 3-4x 90day average. I will probably sell what I have since it can’t be finished at current asking prices.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:30 PM, valiantman said:

You could replace "Newsstand" with "Ratio variant" and it would be true of far more people.

I don't know about that, though there certainly are absurd claims made about variants (even leaving a certain dog out of the conversation lol).