• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,020 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2021 at 12:37 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 10/7/2021 at 9:49 AM, siro123 said:

I was digging in boxes at my house a few weeks back and found these. I forgot i had them.

3 are newsies

20210922_133452[1].jpg

Expand  

:flipbait:

I was tempted to post the same, but with an, :takeit: 

then remembered how BROKE I AM :whatthe: :fear:

On 9/21/2021 at 4:37 PM, fastballspecial said:

That an accurate impression I guess. Because it cant be proven and was made up by Mile High.
The fact that you cant understand this baffles me there is no data to prove it none. 

I think if you will go back read previous posts you will see I agree on most of the rest of this.  

Here is a simple example below for Mile High. They want 3 times the ebay price for their copy. 
I got nothing against Chuck, but does this seem like a competitive price or someone looking
for a sucker.

image.thumb.png.2e245f6efac6cd864399fbfa92036fdf.png

image.thumb.png.ab60bcb55f7870b0a161785088ea182d.pngimage.thumb.png.2e245f6efac6cd864399fbfa92036fdf.png

Lazyboy's and fastballspecial's fixation on (and denial of) the 1:100 ratio is baffling  (folks, never too late to repent and join the newsstand bandwagon!   :-) 

Sure, nobody can absolutely prove the 1:100 ratio, but there is a ton of empirical evidence out there, as Paqart mentioned.   Try looking up, for example, what's for sale on eBay right now for Amazing Spider Man in the #660-700 range.    A couple I just checked show >50 directs and 0 newsstands --combine that with completed listings from the past 3 months and the 1:100 ratio is certainly not the BS you are indignantly claiming it is.   I could say the same about any 2010-2013 series, but there are a lot of 2000-2010 issues I've been actively looking for newsstand copies of and haven't found any during the past 10 years.    

And the scarcity is becoming a lot worse.  Back in 2010-2013 I would constantly find plenty of modern newsstands on eBay (kicking myself for not buying some of them back then), whereas now things have dried up considerably and it takes a lot of digging (and luck) to find copies.   Yes, MHC has got crazy high prices, I would never pay those (though in a lot of cases they have the only known newsstand copies of issues in stock), but the (obvious and readily available) empirically derived evidence for newsstand scarcity should lead to a very hefty premium, and for key issues (and lots of non-keys) it indeed has led to hefty premiums on eBay sales for years now --but, yeah, you guys can continue claiming that there really is no ~1:100 scarcity b/c nobody can outright prove it and everyone paying those prices is being misled and any day now it'll be obvious that there are a lot more copies out there and make the prices collapse, blah blah. 

And here are some newsstand pets, to get back to the "show us your modern newsies" theme:

Pets.jpg

On 10/20/2021 at 12:59 PM, George Brent said:

Lazyboy's and fastballspecial's fixation on (and denial of) the 1:100 ratio is baffling  (folks, never too late to repent and join the newsstand bandwagon!   :-) 

Sure, nobody can absolutely prove the 1:100 ratio, but there is a ton of empirical evidence out there, as Paqart mentioned.   Try looking up, for example, what's for sale on eBay right now for Amazing Spider Man in the #660-700 range.    A couple I just checked show >50 directs and 0 newsstands --combine that with completed listings from the past 3 months and the 1:100 ratio is certainly not the BS you are indignantly claiming it is.   I could say the same about any 2010-2013 series, but there are a lot of 2000-2010 issues I've been actively looking for newsstand copies of and haven't found any during the past 10 years.    

And the scarcity is becoming a lot worse.  Back in 2010-2013 I would constantly find plenty of modern newsstands on eBay (kicking myself for not buying some of them back then), whereas now things have dried up considerably and it takes a lot of digging (and luck) to find copies.   Yes, MHC has got crazy high prices, I would never pay those (though in a lot of cases they have the only known newsstand copies of issues in stock), but the (obvious and readily available) empirically derived evidence for newsstand scarcity should lead to a very hefty premium, and for key issues (and lots of non-keys) it indeed has led to hefty premiums on eBay sales for years now --but, yeah, you guys can continue claiming that there really is no ~1:100 scarcity b/c nobody can outright prove it and everyone paying those prices is being misled and any day now it'll be obvious that there are a lot more copies out there and make the prices collapse, blah blah. 

And here are some newsstand pets, to get back to the "show us your modern newsies" theme:

Pets.jpg

Look nobody is arguing scarcity why does everyone bring it up? Why is it not 1:50 or 1:250 instead?
I mean there is the same amount of proof for those as well? Know why ? Marketing.

Its a marketing ploy to sell comics. Mile High has been doing it for years and people who find them 
have bought into it. I sell newsstands all the time. I do not market them as 1:100 variants. 

Some of you are taking this way to personal. I got nothing against newsstand collectors. I have several
myself, but don't believe that the 1:100 label is nothing more then a marketing ploy. So when you can't
prove something its probably not right. 

And lastly keep in mind many boardies on here have years of experience at this. Its not like we just woke
up and said this or are we new collectors entering the market.   Money brings out the books. Ask GI Joe
21 collectors. Years ago you couldn't get a book in 9.6 at one point now many are more available. Keep
getting large sales for newsstands they will show up more. Honestly nobody cares about many unless they
are keys or core titles. 

BTW welcome to the boards.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 10/20/2021 at 3:33 PM, fastballspecial said:

Look nobody is arguing scarcity why does everyone bring it up? Why is it not 1:50 or 1:250 instead?
I mean there is the same amount of proof for those as well? Know why ? Marketing.

Its a marketing ploy to sell comics. Mile High has been doing it for years and people who find them 
have bought into it. I sell newsstands all the time. I do not market them as 1:100 variants. 

Some of you are taking this way to personal. I got nothing against newsstand collectors. I have several
myself, but don't believe that the 1:100 label is nothing more then a marketing ploy. So when you can't
prove something its probably not right. 

And lastly keep in mind many boardies on here have years of experience at this. Its not like we just woke
up and said this or are we new collectors entering the market.   Money brings out the books. Ask GI Joe
21 collectors. Years ago you couldn't get a book in 9.6 at one point now many are more available. Keep
getting large sales for newsstands they will show up more. Honestly nobody cares about many unless they
are keys or core titles. 

BTW welcome to the boards.

(thanks for the welcome, btw, though I've been here for a few months)

Yes, it is marketing.  No, I don't think it is a ploy (MHC's ridiculous prices notwithstanding).   You are saying you don't advertise newsstands as being 1:100 when you sell them, but the empirical evidence is that this is quite a realistic estimate (your argument of "why not 1:50 or 1:250?" can be translated as "nobody knows exactly what it is, so why bother mentioning an estimate?"  --well, because estimates are out there for anyone to come up with via eBay (or CGC as well, I suppose) and, yep, ~1:100 is pretty close in many cases, so why are you opposed to people referring to that?    I don't think it's false advertising or wishful thinking, the numbers out there support that well.   

On your comment about issues that gain in popularity/price and then becoming more available:   yes, you are correct for pre-2000s issues and post-2000s direct issues.  The main difference between that population and post-2000s (roughly) newsstands is that 1:50 or 1:100 or 1:250 scarcity.   The small amounts of newsstands printed post-2000 (inferring from the greatly reduced overall --direct+newsstand-- print volumes compared to pre-2000) mean that there aren't many collectors/hoarders/dealers out there who have those newsstand copies and you only get odd cases every now and then (the Doc Collection is a prime example, as well as 2-3 folks selling only newsstand editions on eBay, so I imagine they are sitting on stock they somehow accumulated via a newsstand store they owned or had access to its supply  --but I'm only guessing).  Furthermore, newsstand copies have been commanding multiples of direct-prices for at least 6 years now and, if your theory were correct, we would already have seen an influx of newsstand copies due to the higher prices  --but we haven't and, on the contrary, that supply has dwindled, especially for 2010-2013 issues.   So, respectfully, what you say is not what we've been seeing.   I would like it if you were right (so I could get some of the late newsstands I'm missing to fill my collection), but I don't see any way this happens. 

It's my opinion that the newsstand market will be primarily driven (and understood) by the newsstand availability of keys (books which are also key in their direct/regular editions).

Secondly, where newsstands are common, the newsstand market will be understood by the availability of CGC high grade newsstands vs. their lower grade/raw availability.

So, if you want to understand the "closest-to-the-truth" behind newsstand books, watch the availability of CGC 9.6 and CGC 9.8 newsstand vs. direct editions on common books like ASM #300 and ASM #361.

If you want to see an extreme related to a key issue, just try to find any counts for ANY condition of Ultimate Fallout #4 Newsstand vs. the availability of the regular edition.

Most other modern newsstand books fall somewhere between ASM #300 (1988) and UF #4 (2011) on the year, and far below those two on their value as direct/regular editions.

Yes, there are going to be individual (somewhat random) books which collectors simply can't locate in newsstand no matter how hard they try, but those books which are "worthless" in their regular editions are not going to be the "most important newsstands" because "most important" comics (decades later) are determined by what happens on the pages inside, not the flavor of the cover.

It's amazing how many people are paying 4-figures and 5-figures for variants of books (newsstand, retailer incentive, whatever) that you can get for $2 in their regular edition.  This-is-the-rarest-edition-of-a-book-no-one-cares-about is not a long-term winning strategy, no matter how well it does in the short term.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:23 PM, valiantman said:

Yes, there are going to be individual (somewhat random) books which collectors simply can't locate in newsstand no matter how hard they try, but those books which are "worthless" in their regular editions are not going to be the "most important newsstands" because "most important" comics (decades later) are determined by what happens on the pages inside, not the flavor of the cover.

It's amazing how many people are paying 4-figures and 5-figures for variants of books (newsstand, retailer incentive, whatever) that you can get for $2 in their regular edition.  This-is-the-rarest-edition-of-a-book-no-one-cares-about is not a long-term winning strategy, no matter how well it does in the short term.

I get keys and non-keys but focus on keys. This is why I have 8 copies of ASM V2 #30 and other key issues. Below are a few of my newsstand keys in slabs (the ST 25 is Canadian). My best ones though, are at CGC right now, and have been since March. I look forward to showing them here when they come back. 

As for the variants, I think newsstand variants are more than "just a variant". To me, these comics beat the system by emerging from the newsstands intact. Also, I remember buying comics in 7-11 off spinner racks, so they are nostalgic for me also, though the rare modern variants were more likely to be found in a bookstore than a 7-11.

key cgc.jpg

ASM 30.jpg

Edited by paqart

On 10/20/2021 at 7:53 PM, paqart said:

As for the variants, I think newsstand variants are more than "just a variant". To me, these comics beat the system by emerging from the newsstands intact. Also, I remember buying comics in 7-11 off spinner racks, so they are nostalgic for me also, though the rare modern variants were more likely to be found in a bookstore than a 7-11.

Agreed, but you have to admit that if no one cares about Amazing Spider-Man v2 #13 as a direct edition, then it's unlikely that the newsstand (or the other newsstand) is going to be a big deal in the future.  You have already said you wouldn't pay $350 for a CGC 9.8 newsstand ASM v2 #13 now, nearly 22 years later. 

Meanwhile, the last CGC 9.6 Ultimate Fallout #4 newsstand (from 10 years ago) sold for $6,650 in September 2020, when you could still get a CGC 9.6 of the "famous" UF #4 retailer Djurdjevic variant for $3,000.  

A CGC 9.2 UF #4 newsstand sold for $7,000 in May 2021 - when the retailer variant was selling for $5,000.  

The most recent CGC 5.0 UF #4 newsstand sold for $3,000 in September 2021.  That's about the price of an 8.5 UF #4 Djurdjevic variant today.

When it comes to key issues, these newsstand books (which weren't supposed to matter) have the potential to (continue to) outpace even the most famous and "most desirable" of the retailer exclusives for key issues, but people generally haven't noticed... yet.

Edited by valiantman

On 10/21/2021 at 10:10 AM, valiantman said:

When it comes to key issues, these newsstand books (which weren't supposed to matter) have the potential to (continue to) outpace even the most famous and "most desirable" of the retailer exclusives for key issues, but people generally haven't noticed... yet.

There are a few of these "most desirables" that I haven't bought despite appreciating the features that make them desirable. It always comes down to two things: 1) they are more expensive than an underpriced newsstand edition, 2) there isn't a newsstand version with the variant cover.

For instance, Daredevil #111 with the Aja cover. I really like that cover and have been tempted several times to buy it. However, at $450-$650 it is very expensive and likely at the top of the market. There is no newsstand version to add a little room to its potential, so I stay away from it. I do have 2 copies of the regular cover newsstand, which is one of the most difficult issues to find in decent shape. At least, in my experience. I should mention that I try to get comics with room to grow in value or that are severely underpriced. It is less about profit but awareness that if I had to sell fast, I don't want to lose money. Just like a car that loses value the minute you drive it off the lot, comics at the top retail price cannot easily be turned around for the same price if you have to do it. That is why I was uncomfortable with the ASM V2 #13. I probably paid a very high price for that, maybe the highest to date.

The other thing I like about newsstands is specifically that they weren't "supposed to matter". The rarity of the DD #111/Aja cover is artificially produced by having an intentionally limited print run. The newsstand print runs are based on how many copies the publishers thought they could sell. After that, the comic still had to survive rough handling at the store and after purchase by the customer. Therefore, I look at the rarity of newsstands as more natural, or genuine. To me, the retailer variants are fake rare, newsstands are genuine rare. 

It's pretty much the way I look at the value of comics signed by artists in assembly line fashion at conventions. Since the artists are usually paid for the signature and anyone can have one if they go to the convention, the idea of paying a premium for these makes no sense to me. From my point of view, without a personal connection, signatures should reduce the value of a comic, not increase it. For that reason, I don't buy signed comics and I don't get my comics signed. I know a lot of creators (having worked in the industry myself) and could get signatures outside of conventions without paying a fee but I don't ask unless I have a personal reason to do it. Recently, a certain creator asked me for a run of some comics I did in the nineties and he wanted them signed. I sent them off. A few months later, he sent me a run of his comics, all signed. That was fine with me because I know him and I don't intend to sell the comics though it is a particularly valuable group.

An exception I've made to the dealer variant/direct edition rule is post-newsstand comics by creators I really like. For instance, Michael Cho. I love his covers, so I buy them whenever I see them, provided I don't have them already. Unlike newsstands, I don't buy doubles of these because I don't intend to resell them.

Getting back to the ASM V2 #13, the issue isn't a key, at least, not yet. However, it is one of 36 price variants. As a group they are interesting and desirable to me for that reason alone. To date, I have 13 of them, and am looking for the rest. The search for those comics, and the cost of acquiring them, is to me like multiple trips to Disneyland. It's fun to hunt them down even if the issues themselves don't stand out from other stories in the same run.

Edited by paqart

On 10/21/2021 at 5:18 PM, paqart said:

Getting back to the ASM V2 #13, the issue isn't a key, at least, not yet. However, it is one of 36 price variants. As a group they are interesting and desirable to me for that reason alone. To date, I have 13 of them, and am looking for the rest. The search for those comics, and the cost of acquiring them, is to me like multiple trips to Disneyland. It's fun to hunt them down even if the issues themselves don't stand out from other stories in the same run.

300.PNG.98c97c61755d6a9024d2b59dd69a5701.PNG

clangers.gif.aa699869374fdb9c128cde6272b7626d.gif

300 :headbang:

It goes to the heart of collecting. Why do we collect this, or that. There's a defined subset - it's something to go after. I collected the ASM set as I collected Spidey. ASM #13 is an awful comic. Awful, horrible Byrne cover. So bad I made a thread out of it.

But that little $2.29, and $2.49. Well, that's just got to be collected, hasn't it. Nobody said it should make sense, collecting.