• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,020 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, jmt999 said:

On 9/18/2021 at 9:22 AM, jmt999 said:

Just picked up this guy. Estimated around 40 copies exist.

thor6news.png

You clearly don't know much about newsstand books in that year. Go ahead and keep thinking I'm wrong.

If you can find more than 5 copies I'll mail you my entire comic collection.

Good luck.

@paqart

how many copies of this book do you have?

On 9/18/2021 at 7:19 PM, jmt999 said:

You clearly don't know much about newsstand books in that year. Go ahead and keep thinking I'm wrong.

If you can find more than 5 copies I'll mail you my entire comic collection.

Good luck.

lol

You clearly don't know anything about comics. Or reality.

On 9/18/2021 at 7:42 PM, paqart said:

I don't have any. Why do you ask? Maybe you intended to respond to someone else?

From your posts I know you have an extensive collection of newsstand issues and was just curious if you had more than 5. 

On 9/18/2021 at 8:45 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

From your posts I know you have an extensive collection of newsstand issues and was just curious if you had more than 5. 

I see. I don't have any copies of any issue of God of Thunder. I see them for sale occasionally but the prices are very high. I just saw a newsstand copy of #6 on eBay for slightly over a thousand dollars. I wish I had run across any of these in the few lucky strikes I've had, where I've walked into a large group of late Marvel newsstands for below cover price, but that title has never shown up. At least not yet.

On 9/18/2021 at 7:50 PM, paqart said:

I see. I don't have any copies of any issue of God of Thunder. I see them for sale occasionally but the prices are very high. I just saw a newsstand copy of #6 on eBay for slightly over a thousand dollars. I wish I had run across any of these in the few lucky strikes I've had, where I've walked into a large group of late Marvel newsstands for below cover price, but that title has never shown up. At least not yet.

Then that makes at least 2 that have been on ebay in the last few months. 20210918_195227.jpg.339314c9f9d88dfd6f6c902ed24f9a0c.jpg

I too agree the prices are very high.. 

I’ve seen at a minimum seven of GOT6 just on eBay in the last year. The stores that were carrying these were any remaining chain bookstores and they definitely would’ve ordered more than 40 copies. Marvel wouldn’t have a printer print out 40 copies of a book. They’re rare but not that rare. That’s a beautiful newsstand congratulations. 

Edited by Corona smith

On 9/19/2021 at 8:32 AM, Corona smith said:

I’ve seen at a minimum seven of GOT6 just on eBay in the last year. The stores that were carrying these were any remaining chain bookstores and they definitely would’ve ordered more than 40 copies. Marvel wouldn’t have a printer print out 40 copies of a book. They’re rare but not that rare. That’s a beautiful newsstand congratulations. 

Yeah I didn't say that they printed 40 copies, but after the majority of them were not bought they were returned and destroyed. I've seen multiple people mention over the years there are around 50 copies probably. Not just this book, but #2 and other books in that run. It was the last year of newsstands and the initial run was incredibly small. I've been on ebay(have had alert set and only seen 3 so I'm not sure how you saw 7), facebook, IG and youtube for a few years now and I have seen a total of 3 copies. Thanks man appreciate it.

On 9/18/2021 at 8:41 PM, Lazyboy said:

lol

You clearly don't know anything about comics. Or reality.

Again.....go find me 5 copies and I'll mail you my entire collection..............should be easy since you think there are thousands of them out there....go go go go. But I'm the one that doesn't know anything about reality or comics lmfaoooooooooooo. Dumb scrub.

On 9/19/2021 at 8:48 AM, jmt999 said:

I've seen multiple people mention over the years there are around 50 copies probably.

Stop paying attention to :censored:, lying :censored:. :facepalm:

Yeah I didn't say that they printed 40 copies

Good thing. That's about the only thing that could have made you look even worse.

after the majority of them were not bought they were returned and destroyed

Yeah, that's how newsstand distribution worked, except they weren't actually physically returned and there's a good chance that not all the unsold copies were destroyed.

It was the last year of newsstands and the initial run was incredibly small.

It may have been relatively small, but there were still many thousands printed.

On 9/19/2021 at 8:50 AM, jmt999 said:

should be easy since you think there are thousands of them out there

1. When did I say that?

2. Just because there are hundreds, at minimum, out there, that doesn't mean they're easy to find at a moments notice.

I'm the one that doesn't know anything about reality or comics

Yes, as you're repeatedly demonstrated in the last day or so.

Dumb scrub.

lol Seen any good mirrors lately?

On 9/19/2021 at 9:50 AM, jmt999 said:

Again.....go find me 5 copies and I'll mail you my entire collection..............should be easy since you think there are thousands of them out there....go go go go. But I'm the one that doesn't know anything about reality or comics lmfaoooooooooooo. Dumb scrub.

Maybe instead of being an individual_without_enough_empathy you take the advice of people who’ve been collecting for decades each!? I’ll be blocking your rude and ignorant ways. 

On 9/18/2021 at 4:02 PM, fastballspecial said:

As lazyboy already mentioned how do u believe their are only 40 copies? Please don't mention mile high 1 to 100 ratio.  It's not accurate because he can't prove it 

It is incorrect to say that a ratio is "not accurate" because a specific person "can't prove it". It could be accurate regardless but you wouldn't be out of line to have a lower level of confidence in the estimate (it is an estimate) because you weren't satisfied with its provenance or basis.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:11 AM, paqart said:

It is incorrect to say that a ratio is "not accurate" because a specific person "can't prove it". It could be accurate regardless but you wouldn't be out of line to have a lower level of confidence in the estimate (it is an estimate) because you weren't satisfied with its provenance or basis.

There is no factual data to support this.
I wouldn't even use "Could" in this statement honestly.

Now are they rare? Sure. Am I okay with an estimate? yes to extent. 

It gets difficult when you have to break them down by year and thats when
it breaks down. IMO. Just my two cents. Its not earth ending for me.

On 9/20/2021 at 2:23 PM, fastballspecial said:

What I wrote is literally true. If you have evidence that newsstand editions were not printed or haven't survived at a 1:100 ratio, you'd have a better basis for your statement. Without it, you have no more legitimate claim to accuracy than someone who thinks there is a 1:100 ratio.

On 9/20/2021 at 1:46 PM, paqart said:

If you have evidence that newsstand editions were not printed or haven't survived at a 1:100 ratio, you'd have a better basis for your statement.

Every piece of available evidence proves this and it's not close to 1:100. It's not even in the ballpark.

Anybody who believes that even the survival rate is 1:100 is completely insane.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:11 AM, paqart said:

:screwy: It is always correct to say nonsensical bull:censored: is not accurate. I don't need to measure or look up the temperature of the sun to call somebody not accurate for saying it's 460 degrees.

On 9/20/2021 at 1:46 PM, paqart said:
On 9/20/2021 at 1:23 PM, fastballspecial said:

Expand  

What I wrote is literally true. If you have evidence that newsstand editions were not printed or haven't survived at a 1:100 ratio, you'd have a better basis for your statement. Without it, you have no more legitimate claim to accuracy than someone who thinks there is a 1:100 ratio.

The burden of truth doesn't lie with me. I am not the one suggesting something. 
All we have is an estimate of print runs. Because of that claiming something is 1:100 ratio
is honestly an out right lie to increase sales of books you might have unless you can prove it.
Which we know they can't. Its a sales tactic that ebay sellers have now decided to use.

Mile High has been doing this for years. Just because you are newer to this don't fall for this trap. 
They way overprice many books then claim they are rare. Buying from Mile high is desperation
or laziness at its best unless you jump in on their huge sales and even then you are paying 
market price or around it.  I would recommend any other seller, but them based on the pricing and market
strategies. Heck even put a post in the WTB thread I know boardies that have done very well
doing that.