• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,016 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2021 at 6:35 PM, fastballspecial said:

The burden of truth doesn't lie with me. I am not the one suggesting something. 
All we have is an estimate of print runs. Because of that claiming something is 1:100 ratio
is honestly an out right lie to increase sales of books you might have unless you can prove it.
Which we know they can't. Its a sales tactic that ebay sellers have now decided to use.

Mile High has been doing this for years. Just because you are newer to this don't fall for this trap. 
They way overprice many books then claim they are rare. Buying from Mile high is desperation
or laziness at its best unless you jump in on their huge sales and even then you are paying 
market price or around it.  I would recommend any other seller, but them based on the pricing and market
strategies. Heck even put a post in the WTB thread I know boardies that have done very well
doing that. 

I'm getting the impression you have fixated on the ratio "1:100" and have let it distract you from the more important point: newsstands printed in certain years are much more difficult to find than direct editions of the same comic. However this is expressed, the salient fact is that some newsstands are much rarer than corresponding directs. You may want to believe there is no difference in value, or a slight difference, or a difference that is less than whatever Mile High charges, but other people have different opinions and have spent money accordingly. You might think they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, which is your right, but meanwhile, others are having a good time looking for these rarities and adding them to their collection.

There is more than estimated print runs btw. There is also the actual proportion of these comics that appear for sale. I created a database to check this. Some issues appear on eBay only once for every 100 or so direct copies. A 1:50 ratio is more common, but not much less. Many issues the ratio is much more lopsided, like 1:380 or so.

On 9/21/2021 at 5:19 PM, paqart said:

I'm getting the impression you have fixated on the ratio "1:100" and have let it distract you from the more important point: newsstands printed in certain years are much more difficult to find than direct editions of the same comic. However this is expressed, the salient fact is that some newsstands are much rarer than corresponding directs. You may want to believe there is no difference in value, or a slight difference, or a difference that is less than whatever Mile High charges, but other people have different opinions and have spent money accordingly. You might think they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, which is your right, but meanwhile, others are having a good time looking for these rarities and adding them to their collection.

There is more than estimated print runs btw. There is also the actual proportion of these comics that appear for sale. I created a database to check this. Some issues appear on eBay only once for every 100 or so direct copies. A 1:50 ratio is more common, but not much less. Many issues the ratio is much more lopsided, like 1:380 or so.

That an accurate impression I guess. Because it cant be proven and was made up by Mile High.
The fact that you cant understand this baffles me there is no data to prove it none. 

I think if you will go back read previous posts you will see I agree on most of the rest of this.  

Here is a simple example below for Mile High. They want 3 times the ebay price for their copy. 
I got nothing against Chuck, but does this seem like a competitive price or someone looking
for a sucker.

image.thumb.png.2e245f6efac6cd864399fbfa92036fdf.png

image.thumb.png.ab60bcb55f7870b0a161785088ea182d.pngimage.thumb.png.2e245f6efac6cd864399fbfa92036fdf.png

On 9/21/2021 at 6:37 PM, fastballspecial said:

That an accurate impression I guess. Because it cant be proven and was made up by Mile High.
The fact that you cant understand this baffles me there is no data to prove it none. 

I think if you will go back read previous posts you will see I agree on most of the rest of this.  

Here is a simple example below for Mile High. They want 3 times the ebay price for their copy. 
I got nothing against Chuck, but does this seem like a competitive price or someone looking
for a sucker.

image.thumb.png.2e245f6efac6cd864399fbfa92036fdf.png

image.thumb.png.ab60bcb55f7870b0a161785088ea182d.pngimage.thumb.png.2e245f6efac6cd864399fbfa92036fdf.png

Many of his prices seem outrageous but I have seen real sales on eBay for multiples of what he charges. For example, a newsstand Hulk 16 that went for $800, as compared to $160 at MH. I bid $205 on it because it was a 9.8, and two other people on this board outbid me before dropping out. I've seen the same thing with other comics 

On 9/28/2021 at 1:37 PM, paqart said:

Many of his prices seem outrageous but I have seen real sales on eBay for multiples of what he charges. For example, a newsstand Hulk 16 that went for $800, as compared to $160 at MH. I bid $205 on it because it was a 9.8, and two other people on this board outbid me before dropping out. I've seen the same thing with other comics 

???

:screwy:

So you're comparing an out-of-stock listing on MHC to a slabbed 9.8 sale? I guess I wasn't quite right since I didn't give you such little credit to assume you would compare slabbed 9.8 sales to raw MHC "Near Mint" listings.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: