• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,016 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2021 at 2:34 AM, Corona smith said:

It’s all about getting the rarest copy of a key book and late modern newsstands are exceedingly hard to find especially in high grades. I don’t see anything shallow or fragile about the newsstand market. It’s here to stay so you should  get used to it. I’ve been making a killing on buying and selling for a few years now. I don’t think most newsstand collectors pump newsstands. I believe they’re generally and honestly excited by them and not pumping/dumping. To each their own. 

I started buying them two years ago because it looked possible to exploit perceived value among people like Lazyboy against actual value to get a quick profit. That profit could then go into the stuff I really wanted, Silver Age Marvels and Carl Barks duck comics. However, when I realized how genuinely rare newsstands are, I started collecting them for their own sake. The only ones I've sold came from a cache of dozens of copies of the same comic, sold to a friend to cover the cost of the purchase. Everything else, I've kept. Right now, that is 15 short boxes and 100 slabs.

On 8/29/2021 at 6:32 PM, mrwoogieman said:

The reality is that there is a strong trend in the market to make cheap modern newsstands a thing so that otherwise cheap stock can be sold for dear. If it were purely about the relative scarcity driving collectibility and value you would also see those market forces manifesting with the late Bronze Age direct editions which should be equivalently hard to find as late modern newsstands.

But you don’t really see that, at least I do not. Where is the “show us your Bronze directies” thread?

It may get that way later. I just bought my first "strike-out" direct (Daredevil #159), just in case. That said, whether the early directs are as hard to find as late newsstands hasn't been established. I have made a very serious effort to locate many modern newsstands that to date I have never seen for sale. I run across the early directs often while looking for newsstands.

On 8/24/2021 at 3:15 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

How do people feel about the prices that Mile High Comics charges for newsstand issues?   I realize that they are almost always having 50% and 60% off sales through their newsletter code words, but even with the discount most of their newsstand issues from the year 2000 and up have asking prices in the $40 to $200 range for popular titles.  I don't think most of those newsstands variants are too hard to find for a few bucks if the buyer has patience.  I sometimes wonder how they sell any newsstand issue when they get in that price range, unless it is a very key issue.  I wonder what their strategy is.

I've seen newsstands sell for more on eBay than Mile High's top pricing for the same comics. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. For that reason, I've been tempted more than once to buy from MH. As far as patience is concerned, I've gone 2 years + without finding some issues. My patience is about gone for those. MH prices reflect actual rarity even if collectors haven't gotten comfortable yet with those prices. Still, try to find a run of ASM from 600-700. I've been working on it for a couple of years but to date have only about 30 issues, only a few of which might be 9.8.

Edited by paqart

On 9/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, paqart said:

I've seen newsstands sell for more on eBay than Mile High's top pricing for the same comics.

For stuff they have in stock or stuff that they don't and haven't updated their prices in who knows how many years?

On 9/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, paqart said:

MH prices reflect actual rarity

That's not a thing. Basic economics: Supply AND DEMAND!

On 9/17/2021 at 9:05 PM, paqart said:

I've seen newsstands sell for more on eBay than Mile High's top pricing for the same comics. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. For that reason, I've been tempted more than once to buy from MH. As far as patience is concerned, I've gone 2 years + without finding some issues. My patience is about gone for those. MH prices reflect actual rarity even if collectors haven't gotten comfortable yet with those prices. Still, try to find a run of ASM from 600-700. I've been working on it for a couple of years but to date have only about 30 issues, only a few of which might be 9.8.

I hear you brother.  In completing my run of newsstands for Batman, Detective, Superman/Adv of Superman, Action Comics, and Justice League of America, I had to resort to buying at least 100 of the approximately 1,800 newsstands from Mile High.  I usually only bought them when the price was reasonable (I believe the highest prices I paid were in the neighborhood of $60 each), and it was very convenient to get them from one place.  I probably still have all the receipts, and it would be interesting to compare the prices I paid 10 years ago to the prices that they charge today.  Most of mine are 9.0 to 9.8 (only only very rarely 9.8 due to the nature of the beast).    I do recall competing on ebay for some Batman newsstands in high grade 10 years ago and I think the highest price I had to pay was about $70 with stiff competition.   Glad I did it back then.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 9/18/2021 at 9:22 AM, jmt999 said:

Just picked up this guy. Estimated around 40 copies exist.

thor6news.png

As lazyboy already mentioned how do u believe their are only 40 copies? Please don't mention mile high 1 to 100 ratio.  It's not accurate because he can't prove it