• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,061 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2023 at 12:45 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Instead, they tried writing Cassie as the sassy know-it-all wannabe-Iron-Woman. They obviously can't write that character, so they should stop trying.

I would agree. Her character seemed to be written by an out-of-touch 70 year old. Her dialogue and attitude as the character was really forced.

On 5/18/2023 at 2:45 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you take the focus off of Cassie and Kang, and instead wrote it to center around the two title characters and MODOK (with a good character design), I could see the potential in this movie idea. Kang comes in after MODOK's failures, to trap Scott and Hope in the QR, which he admits to torturing/killing them when he sees the surviving trio in Avengers 5. This gives Cassie a heartbreaking backstory which audiences would connect to, and could make her a focal piece of Avengers 6.

Instead, they tried writing Cassie as the sassy know-it-all wannabe-Iron-Woman. They obviously can't write that character, so they should stop trying.

I really enjoyed the 2 previous Ant Mans mainly because of the Daddy Daughter relationship.  They wrote Cassie horrible in this (know it all, puts her Dad down, argumentative, etc.), I couldn't stand her. The Cassie in the previous 2 would've never seriously put him down she was his biggest cheerleader. I know the ages are different but still the personality change was really evident in this.

Hey, they got my money, so I feel entitled to criticize.  Also, I definitely don't want any of these movies to fail.  

Put this on again on Disney+ tonight just to have something on, and, uh, yeah, it was worse than I remembered.

Modok was soooo bad. And most of the humor...wasn't.  

On 5/24/2023 at 10:26 PM, johnenock said:

You guys are too hard on these popcorn flicks. Seems like a few people want these movies to fail.

Nah, I want them to be good and they've mostly sucked since 2020. I simply want to be entertained by products where it seems clear that the creatives actually had a compelling story to tell, rather than force-fed tankie quips.

On 5/25/2023 at 9:25 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nah, I want them to be good and they've mostly sucked since 2020. I simply want to be entertained by products where it seems clear that the creatives actually had a compelling story to tell, rather than force-fed tankie quips.

I had to look that up.

Accurate (thumbsu

On 5/25/2023 at 5:25 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

On 5/25/2023 at 7:01 AM, Microchip said:

I had to look that up.

Accurate (thumbsu

Me, too. Thanks for giving me a new word to work into my vocabulary.

On 5/24/2023 at 12:42 AM, jimjum12 said:

Sorry guys, I thought it was VERY impressive. Special effects were A++++ .... I'll definitely watch it again. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I really liked the environments they created. I think that's why I was so critical of the movie - I was super pumped about the look of it (i.e., in the trailers) and probably had expectations set to coincide with how cool it looked. I love it when Marvel goes into that deep space/cosmic scenery - the really have that down.

We are not allowed to want something more from our popcorn films? There are clearly films that are better than others, and the MCU has done some great ones.  Even with these types of films, if we do not have some level of standards, they will give us poor films.  So, yes, I am allowed to criticise, and hold them accountable.  Being light, fun movie fair is not an excuse for bad film making, and stories.

Give me more Gardians 3, and I will be happy.  Give me more QM, and I will continue skipping films, and being selective.

Finally saw this from Disney+. Boring and just a bad film. 
Those issues that were talked in reviews like bad cgi, cassie lang, modok and plot holes like the ants etc. For me I did not have any problems with those. Well Modok was just a bad character. Modok should have looked like in the comics and have the same screen time as that rebel robot guy.  The ending thou was a mess.

The real problem with this film for me was that it had no feeling. There was couple scenes with Kang and Janet which were okay but the rest of the movie was like made by a computer. Like that scene were Ant-Man and Cassie meet after Cassie has escaped from Kang there was no feeling. Also even thou they were in a strange place where they might not be able to go back home you did not get a feeling that they were lost or scared or anything.

Just think of Back to the Future where Marty is trapped in 50's. You get a feeling that he is scared of how he will get back to 80's even when he has plan with professor how to get back 80's.

Watched it again today with my daughter... not the best movie, but certainly better than some of these ridiculously low scores would indicate.

Visually, stunning. Over-the-top silly-looking quantum aliens and Bill Murray, what do you expect? Heart-wrenching drama?

Cassie didn't do anything Stark level. It was obvious that Hank and Hope did the work and let her take the credit.

Kang wasn't defeated by Ant Man.  One of the Kangs, but without a working suit, without his multiverse ship, without any of his future techology... just a dude... was defeated by Ant Man.

Janet opened the portal home by clicking a few buttons and working the "two-way radio" between quantum and Earth. Is it insane to think Cassie can't click "repeat last portal" on the same machine?

Bottom line... quantum is its own visually impressive universe.

The Kangs put "the worst" Kang there and he was defeated when he lost his machine and his suit.

Was he even the worst? Maybe he was just killing other Kangs and they couldn't let him keep doing it.

Cassie has a suit, but despite all the accolades, it was Hank and Hope and then Janet who made Cassie a tech wizard.

Bill Murray is in it. It stars Paul Rudd playing Paul Rudd. Get over yourself if you think it's supposed to be more than what it claims to be. 

As Mitch Hedberg said, "As a writer, they always ask me if I can act. No. Because, I'm a writer. If I was a chef, would you say, hey, you're a good chef... but can you farm?"

On 6/8/2023 at 2:51 PM, davidpg said:

comfortable on the couch and started the movie. It was great!  I fell perfectly soundly asleep with about an hour left to go and slept like a baby until the music from the credits woke me, 

As I’m getting old, sounds fairly similar to my typical cinema screen experience.

Edited by Ken Aldred