• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Hey PK,

I'm thinking about changing my name to "RareLowGrade" after this recent purchase from SuperCon in Oakland this weekend. tongue.gif

Got a super deal on it though -- paid 66% of guide in grade! cloud9.gif It's totally unrestored, and a solid GD 2.0.

tec-10.jpg

Hey PK,

I'm thinking about changing my name to "RareLowGrade" after this recent purchase from SuperCon in Oakland this weekend. tongue.gif

Got a super deal on it though -- paid 66% of guide in grade! cloud9.gif It's totally unrestored, and a solid GD 2.0.

tec-10.jpg

Nice pickup! looks more like a 2.5/3.0 from the scan thumbsup2.gif

Can't go wrong with a Flessel Tec. thumbsup2.gif

Got it from John Dolmayan! Great guy.

Several members have mentioned buying from him at cons. Anybody know if he ever goes to Wizard Chicago?

He mentioned today that he's not going to be there this year. He goes to San Diego though.

Edit -- actually, now that I think about it, he said his books will be in San Diego this year but he won't. His band is headlining the Ozzfest 2006 tour this summer. foreheadslap.gif

Edited by FFB

Nice pickup! looks more like a 2.5/3.0 from the scan thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Richard. The cover is detached at the bottom staple and there's a couple of small tears on the leading edge of the back cover, along with a small chunk (maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch) out of the bottom edge of the back cover. Still, a very sweet book that I was totally stoked to pick up this weekend! cloud9.gif

I warn you now...once you start down the Rare Low Grade path, picking up truly rare pre-hero books in any non-falling-apart condition, there's no turning back. The thrill of the hunt is exceptional, as even if money were no object you'd still be hunting. I'm very excited for you.

I warn you now...once you start down the Rare Low Grade path, picking up truly rare pre-hero books in any non-falling-apart condition, there's no turning back. The thrill of the hunt is exceptional, as even if money were no object you'd still be hunting. I'm very excited for you.

Thanks Win. A big part of what motivated me to switch to this genre was the thrill I got from looking at your books two years in a row in Chicago. flowerred.gif

John D. has another nice mid-grade early GA key that I am going to try to get as my next purchase. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Enjoy that comic. Read it, read the ads, check out the 1-page fillers, see if you recognize any old artists (or pseudonyms of them), notice the developing styles, primative plot-lines, etc., etc. I love my pre-hero books unslabbed for these reasons, and I like them in relatively low grade so I can handle them without fear of hurting their value (as well as for affordability reasons). That book in particular ought to have some great early S&S work on Slam Bradley and Spy.

Congrats again!

Hey PK,

Congratulations Scott! Any time that you can get an unrestored pre-hero Detective for less than guide, you are doing great. I hope that this is the sart of a new era in your collecting habits. Only 25 more pre-hero Tecs to go.

Hey PK,

Congratulations Scott! Any time that you can get an unrestored pre-hero Detective for less than guide, you are doing great. I hope that this is the sart of a new era in your collecting habits. Only 25 more pre-hero Tecs to go.

Only 24 -- you can't count the Crimson Avenger as a "pre-hero". poke2.gif

May I ask how much? That seems to be in my range.

I paid a little over guide for it. From what I've seen, that's about what the non-Batman covers seem to go for (TEC 30, 32, 34) in low or midgrade. I think TEC 28 would go for well over guide as it's pretty hard to find.

Certainly in agreement with you here.

Although I have seen the other non-Batman 'Tec covers around, the 'Tec #28 issue with the 2nd appearance of Batman seems to be an extremely elusive issue to find.

Great pick up! Congratulations! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I only see three pre-Batman 'Tecs? I think Tim's just trying to distract people from the many CMAs in the auction. poke2.gif

And, Tim, I haven't seen the August Heritage auction thread. Where is it?